August 2015 Moms

Tall girls!!

Calling all tall mamas!
FTM and I'm 5'11, ... wondering when other tall women started to show or how much you are showing now. I am told by my mom (6'0) and sister (5'10) that they didn't show with any of their pregnancies until 6-7 months (Honestly I can't remember my sister's pregnancy's in that great of detail). and many tall women are sharing with me that they didn't even start to show until that late as well. 7 months? Seriously though!? How is that even anatomically possible. Is the term "showing" relative or do their memories not serve them correctly. I was anxious to start showing to finally feel pregnant, and now that I am at 15 weeks I'm wondering why I can't relate with this tall woman phenomenon of hiding their babies in their long torsos. I know every woman is different and body type plays a role too. Just wondering if I'm on track for my size.
What are other tall mommies looking like?

PS- also have heard rumors that labor and delivery is easier for tall girls...hope this one applies to me at least! :)

Re: Tall girls!!

• Tall women have longer torsos so it's possible to not show for a long time. You just have more space than shorties. There's always exceptions to the rules though. :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a very long torsoed 5'09. I'm almost in week 16 and nobody can tell I'm pregnant. When I look sideways in the mirror before a shower, I just look like I had a big burrito for dinner and am a bit bloated. Otherwise, I'm stealth. What has gotten bigger, though are my hips and thighs, so I'm wearing a lot of stretchy pants these days. I'll check in and let you all know when the belly really shows.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm 5'10 and 17 weeks and feel like I'm just looking a little tubby around the middle. A lot of people say they can't tell! I can't wait to get a real belly and hope I don't have to wait till 6 or 7 months
  • I'm 5'9" and all torso. I'm showing a bit but not much. Definitely not as much as others at 17 weeks. My mom is 6 ft tall and she was due with my sister September 9th. She told me that she was on an elevator a day after she was due and someone told her "that looks like a nice Christmas baby!" :) I certainly wish I was showing more now instead of just looking fat but I think I'll appreciate it down the road!
  • You're showing more than me I'm 5' 5 and 17 w 6d with my third.. Guess it's all relative ;)
  • I'm a FTM too and I'm 5'10". I am 16w3d and I'm not showing, at least not where anyone can tell. I still wear skinny jeans and tight shirts and even my sister said she wouldn't have known I was pregnant if I hadn't told her. I've been told that it will be a while before I show since the baby has a lot of room to grow and stretch in my long body. Unlike most PPs, my mom isn't tall like me. She's actually pretty short... 5'2" (even though she claims to be 5'3"). She said she didn't show until 24+ weeks with any of her pregnancies. I'm torn between wanting to finally look pregnant and wanting to stay skinny for as long as possible. I find myself getting jealous of the HDBD posts, but I guess my bump will come soon enough. And I hope what you heard about labor is true, I also have fairly wide hips so I'm praying for an easy delivery.
  • I'm 5'9'' and with my first pregnancy I don't think I was really showing until around 20 weeks, and even then it wasn't super obvious unless I told people. I definitely looked extremely pregnant by the end though.

2nd time, and this 3rd time I'm 15 weeks and I am definitely showing and am in maternity pants but I COULD uncomfortably get by in normal pants still.

Oh and labor/delivery was not a problem for me but I know tall people who have had lots of issues so I don't think that's necessarily true :)
  • It's all about torso length, not height. My friend is 2 months ahead of me and a foot shorter than I am but I show much more than she does because she's got a long torso and short legs, whereas I have long legs and my torso is so short that my ribs hit the top of my hips if I lean to the side even a little.
  • WDDCH said:

Tall women have longer torsos so it's possible to not show for a long time. You just have more space than shorties. There's always exceptions to the rules though. :D

Not true, I'm tall and have a very short torso.
  • I'm 6' with a really long torso. I started showing around 20 weeks with #1, and this time am starting to show now at 16 weeks. It all depends on your body type.
    Also, not sure where you heard tall women have easier labor but that was definitely not true for me.
  • I'm 5'8 with long legs. With my first I showed around 8wks. Pregnant with my second and not showing more then a big lunch. Everyone is so different and every pregnancy is different. My friend is 5'10 and doesn't show at all until about 24wks.
    Mom of one toddler boy, with another BOY on the way. Life is exciting traveling being active duty & a wife. 

Sometimes I vlog on
    YouTube. Check out my channel here! 
  • I'm 5'11 and it was obvious I was pregnant by 13-14 weeks with both of my pregnancies. I think it's different for everyone.
    Mom to AJ: 2/16/2012

Elliott Woodson due 8/2/2015!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm 6'2" amd 18 w. I got my first congrats from a complete stranger this week, so apparently its obvious. I still feel like I just look chunky because I have a B shaped belly right now, but that belly definitely wasn't there a couple weeks ago
    BabyFruit Ticker

image      image

• I'm 5'11 and have a short torso. At 14 weeks I am in maternity pants and definitely look different than pre pregnancy. My husband says I'm showing I think I just look like I ate too much. I think a true bump will be here in a few weeks though.
  • I'm 6'1 and with my first I started showing at 20 weeks, but with my 2nd I started showing way early- like at 12 weeks. Every woman's body and pregnancy is different. But great thing is big or small bumps we all get to be mommies in the end! :)
  • 5'8" with a long torso... With my first I never had the baby kicking up in my ribs, I carried low and in front so I showed about when everyone else was. Second time around, my tummy popped out right away. I had people congratulating me at 6 weeks!!! Ugh.

Should have done more ab workouts after my first. Your core strength has a lot to do with how much you show. Look in the mirror and compare relaxed tummy vs sucking it in... Haha.
  • I'm 5'10 and I'm fairly certain it's obvious I'm pregnant now at 17.3 weeks! I do have a long torso, but my belly is also a bit "pointy". Hoping it'll round out soon.
  • I'm 5'9. My legs are super long, so my torso isn't super long, but I started showing around 13-14 weeks to me. If I wear a snug shirt, you can tell, but if looks like chub for the most part.
  • Ah. That makes sense, my torso is very short I'm all leg. I wear pants 37 inseam
    ... Another question:
    Any really leggy girls know of where to get long maternity jeans? I've found a website but they cost so much!! And the popular stores like MMaternity and old navy "long" is still high waters. I wish my go-to tall shop had maternity!(Alloy.com)
    Thought of getting a bigger size jean to allow for weight gain and have a tailor alter them to maternity?
  • mrsb30mrsb30 member
    edited March 2015
    I'm 6'3 and almost 18 weeks and barely showing, unfortunately I just look like I have gained weight :/
  • I am 5'10" and showing quite a bit this time around (at 17 weeks). But first time it took forever. I wear a 37 inseam and find that gap long maternity pants are fine as long as I don't want to wear a heel with them. Looking forward to warmer weather so I can just to dresses and forget that I once had a waist.
  • strauber said:

I am 5'10" and showing quite a bit this time around (at 17 weeks). But first time it took forever. I wear a 37 inseam and find that gap long maternity pants are fine as long as I don't want to wear a heel with them. Looking forward to warmer weather so I can just to dresses and forget that I once had a waist.

I'm also looking forward to summer to I can just wear dresses skirts and capris. Right now I've just been wearing leggings and tunics because I don't want to go through the hassle and money of trying to find tall maternity clothes.
  • I'm 5'10" with a long torso and mostly look like I had a really big lunch. People that know that I am pregnant say "oh you're starting to show" but it's not nice and round so that it is obvious to strangers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"