Baby Names

Your maiden name as baby's first name

Assuming your maiden name works for a first name - do people like this idea?

Me: 29 DH: 35

Married: 9/29/12

DS #1: 3/8/15

Re: Your maiden name as baby's first name

• lifeisapeachlifeisapeach member
    edited February 2015
    Depends on the maiden name but I'm not opposed to it.
  • I love it! If my maiden name worked as a fn I would use it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Depends on the maiden name
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 
  • I'm not opposed to it, but prefer it for a MN
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Mine is Major and I really wish it worked as a first name but it just doesn't :(. I'm not planning on using it as a middle name either as when you say the whole name it makes it sound like the baby has a hyphenated last name or something.
  • My maiden name is Norton, which I think could actually work as a boys name :). But it doesn't sound good with DHs surname.
  • Depending the name I really like the idea

• It depends on what the maiden name is. Some work as first names and some really, really belong in the last name spot
  • Not a big fan of the idea. Using Bennett as an example, wouldn't it be strange to have a baby Bennett who has a grandma and grandpa Bennett and aunts and uncles and cousins with your first name as a last name. I think using it as a mn is a better option if you really want to incorporate it.
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• I do not care for surnames as first names. So I would vote no.
  • Not a fan really, how I see it a lot here in the South.
    my maiden name is being continued on with my nephews, so we are cool
  • I think using it as the middle name is cute.  If we have a daughter her middle name will be my mom's maiden name which is Courtney. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I like the idea, but mine wouldn't work. I also like the idea as a middle name.

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• If we ever have a boy we plan on using my maiden name, Oliver as his name. But it's more so in honor/memory of my dad than it just being my maiden name.
  • dont like it at all for a first name, sometimes maybe for middle name
  • I like it for a mn but not fn.  I just think it would feel weird to call a child by the last name I had for over two decades.  DS's mn is a different spelling of my maiden name.
    Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • According the Angelina Jolie I could use my maiden name as a first name (Maddock...she has Maddox) but I would never in 1000000 years
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • My maiden name was a female first name, so it would work on a girl, but it's not really my style, plus as pp said I think it would be weird to have a grandma/grandpa lastname if that was also baby's first name. I'd rather use it as a middle name than a first, if I used it at all.
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    Depends on the name
  • Do you plan on having only one child? Would be weird to have multiple children and one have your maiden name.
  • moret07 said:

Do you plan on having only one child? Would be weird to have multiple children and one have your maiden name.

I think that depends on the culture in your area. In the South it's very common for one child to have the mother's maiden name. Sometimes it's the first child; sometimes the first has a different family name so it's the second child; and so on. We're big on family tradition down here, though ;)
  • I love the idea. Our first son is a Jr. And then we had a girl and now another girl. It would definitely be a boy name so it didn't work oit for us. I'm also in the south and as PP said its pretty common down here. I love it though.
  • LOL, I just had a set of triplets on my unit named Major, King, and Sir...anything is possible. *eye roll*
    Egg Retrieval - Feb. 2013 -> OHSS.  FET#1 - June 2013(failed). FET#2 - October 2013(success!) Griffin Alistair: 6#10oz 20" long, born 6/19/14 @ 4:04am
  • I like the idea, but I think many times maiden names work better for middle names. My maiden name would never work in either spot :-(
  • It depends on the name, but I lean towards no.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

My Blogs

https://littlebirdconfections.wordpress.com/

https://heismightyquinn.wordpress.com/

• I've seen it done with the name Carter. I like it but only if it's not a crazy name
  • My maiden name is a crazy long dutch name. We used part of it for my son's first name, Van. My cousin has a son named Van, too (but we never see each other).

Van isn't uncommon name, although it was more popular in the 50's. It suits him well.
  • My maiden name is Glenn. I love the idea of using it for a first name but I love so many other names more. We're probably going to mn it.

TTC #1: February 1, 2014
    BFP #1: 2/21/14 EDD: 10/31/14 MMC: discovered 3/31/14 (blighted ovum) D&C: 4/3/14 at 9w6d

BFP #2:12/18/14 EDD: 8/27/14 Beta #1 (16 DPO): 50 Beta #2 (18 DPO): 54 CP: 12/25/14 at 5w0d

Names | Blog | Chart

Formally LisaG09

"Everybody wants to be happy. Nobody wants to feel pain but you can't have a rainbow without the rain."

• AshCHBAshCHB member
    edited March 2015
    My maiden name is Harris and I've always loved the boy name Harrison. But DH's last name contains a slang word for penis... So we won't ever be able to use Harrison... I know people would inevitably shorten it to Harry, and it would be the perfect opportunity for elementary school bullies...

ETA: Luckily we're having a girl, so we don't have to worry about it yet.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My fiancées mothers maiden name is smith. So we play on using it as a middle name for a boy :).
  • AshCHB said:

My maiden name is Harris and I've always loved the boy name Harrison. But DH's last name contains a slang word for penis... So we won't ever be able to use Harrison... I know people would inevitably shorten it to Harry, and it would be the perfect opportunity for elementary school bullies...

ETA: Luckily we're having a girl, so we don't have to worry about it yet.

That's unfortunate! I like Harrison too.

I once knew a guy named Woody, last name = Slang word for penis. It was just.. Awful. I'm glad you're not doing that to your kid.
  • White. Hmmm, doesn't work for me, but I've seen some cool examples.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My maiden name is also a female name, so we used it as DD's middle name. I prefer it that way to using it as a first name, but I had other names in mind for the first name. The only time it was a little strange was when we called our parents after she was born to announce the name. Saying, "her name is FN MN" made it sound like we had given her my maiden name as a last name, so they were confused for a moment. Same thing happened at her baptism, when the pastor announced her as FN MN. Otherwise I have always gotten lots of compliments on her name.

• My maiden name would never work for a first name, mostly because it would be very out there for a first name, plus no one would know how to pronounce it correctly... Despite it being a real word, but with an additional 'S' at the end. We are using it for our son's middle name instead, since there is no one left to carry on the last name on my dad's side of the family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"