August 2015 Moms

Double Baby Shower

So, my sister-in-law asked me if she could throw me a baby shower and of course I said yes. Well, the other day she calls me and my husband and tells us that she and her husband are expecting! That's makes us like 10 weeks apart. She then asks me if we could host together a double baby shower. I thought it was a great idea being that we share the same family. I was thinking about it today and I feel like it would be weird to host our own baby shower. I know we will have family helping us, but we are paying for everything. What do you guys think? Should she just host me a shower and I do the same for her, or just do it together?

Re: Double Baby Shower

• I agree it would be weird to host it together. I hear what you are saying with having the same family, and it is considerate of you to think of them and not wanting to make everyone go to two showers; however here are some other reasons I would vote no to the double shower: 1.) I am assuming you will both be inviting not only your family, but your SO's familieis as well - that is probably a LOT of people and it would get cramped depending on where you are having it.....2.) Think about what you mainly do at showers, watch the mother-to-be open her gifts, which can take HOURS....so would you both open at the same time? Make everyone sit through two people opening all of their gifts? I know for me personally, if I am being honest, I find it boring watching someone I know open their gifts, let alone having to watch someone I dont' know open theirs (your SO's family wouldn't know her, and her SO's family wouldn't know you (unless you are all super close)). I just personally think that it could just get messy fast. Being that she is 10 weeks behind you, your showers would easily be a few months apart, so it isn't like you are asking your family to go on back to back weekends. Just my two cents.
  • If you're having a joint shower, someone else should be hosting it for you. It's supposed to be a gift to the MTB, and although you technically could say you're each gifting it to the other, it's still pretty unusual. It could also get very large if it's the only shower for each of you. Surely you both have guests from the other side of your families and your own friends. You could each throw one for the other, but that will probably leave you hosting with a newborn or in your ninth month. I would suggest maybe helping co-host with someone else.
  • Loading the player...
  • Are you both FTMs? I would throw separate showers, for each other, a month or two apart. The reason being a practical one. If I was cousin to both of you I would want to give a nice gift and probably wouldn't be able to afford to do something nice for both at one time. Maybe your family members are rich and that isn't a problem but I'm not rich so that's all I can come up with on the practical side.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • WDDCH said:

Are you both FTMs? I would throw separate showers, for each other, a month or two apart. The reason being a practical one. If I was cousin to both of you I would want to give a nice gift and probably wouldn't be able to afford to do something nice for both at one time. Maybe your family members are rich and that isn't a problem but I'm not rich so that's all I can come up with on the practical side.

This. My MIL has discussed throwing a shower for me and my DH's cousin together (we are like a month apart), but its both our second babies, would be extremely informal, and neither of us need anything really so it would just be little "sprinkle" type gifts if any. I would definitely not be able to give the same quality of gifts going to a double baby shower for FTMs, so you are both likely to end of with "half" gifts or have people just not come unless your family does happen to be pretty wealthy.
  • My sister n law and I are 10 weeks apart. I'm having mine is June and hers is in April.

I would never ask her to share her big day, or plan a shower for ourselves.

My sister, mom and mother n law are doing mine and my sister n law hAs her sisters, my mil, and her mil.

I live in a different state or I would be helping.

We are also 10weeks apart.

• My sil is pregnant and only three weeks behind me. It's her second and this is my first. To be completely honest, and it may sound a little bratty, but I would not want to share our big days and I really hope that nobody suggests it. I also don't think she'll have a baby shower as its her second, but who knows at this point.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"