Baby Names
Options

Choose Your Favorite Girl Name

edited February 2015 in Baby Names
We are eleven weeks along, and didn't have hesitation coming up with a couple of boy names we both love. Girl names have proven more difficult for us.

We have a six year old Scarlett Rose. Our last name is one syllable and rhymes with "Price". Feel free to add suggestions. I don't get offended by "hate it" or "yuck" type reactions, but if you dislike any of them greatly, please let me know why. I'm asking for opinions because I want to try and make sure my husband and I are not missing any negative associations that the overall public might have. Thanks!

Choose Your Favorite Girl Name 71 votes

Seraphina
35% 25 votes
Esme
33% 24 votes
Eleni (eh-LEN-ee)
15% 11 votes
Pippa
15% 11 votes

Re: Choose Your Favorite Girl Name

• Options
    I don't like Pippa... too many P's!
    Eleni is one of those names DD would constantly be having to spell out or pronounce for people.
    I think both Seraphina and Esme are nice.
  • Options
    I do think Elin is a good alternative to Eleni though!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That was our main concern with Eleni. I don't want my child to have to go through that. It's kind of a shame because my grandmother is Greek, and I love the way she pronounces it, since it is a Greek name.
    Thanks @dancingmatilda !
  • Options
    Maybe use it as a middle name? It is very pretty.
  • Options
    Esme. I like seraphina too, but I'm not generally a fan of same letter siblings if it can be avoided.

• Options
    Esme or Seraphina are great

• Options
    kh1824 said:

Esme. I like seraphina too, but I'm not generally a fan of same letter siblings if it can be avoided.

You know, that didn't even cross my mind yet. I'm glad you mentioned it.
  • Options
    I voted for seraphina cause it's my favourite of the ones you listed. The only thing I can think of negatively for Eleni is when you say it out in public people might miss the E and think you're saying Lenny.
  • Options
    I love Esme. Sadly I agree pronouncing eleni I think would be difficult for her but would make a beautiful middle name. I don't like it with Esme but maybe Seraphina Eleni??
  • Options
    I like Pippa but as a nn for Philippa, not by itself. Esme is also nice.
  • Options
    Sassenach1743Sassenach1743 member
    edited February 2015
    I love Esme best! I love the meaning, the spelling, the sound, and the fact that it's not uber popular. I especially love it in a sib set with your older daughter's name: Scarlett Rose and Esme Violet, maybe?

Eleni is a nice name but I agree that pronunciation could be confusing. Also, the only Eleni I ever knew was from a huge Greek family so I automatically associate the name with Greek heritage, not that you necessarily need to be Greek to use the name.

Seraphina is not my style. If I'm being truly honest, I don't like it. It just sounds pretentious and in the same category with the name Evangeline, which I absolutely hate and cannot understand the appeal.

Pippa is terrible. It's a nickname, at best, for either Persephone or Penelope. I cannot imagine Pippa in a sib set with a beautiful name like Scarlett Rose. You can do better.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    I definitely appreciate this, everyone!
  • Options
    It was a tough call between Esme and Seraphina for me, love them both.

Eleni is one of those names I would never know how to say or spell.

I hate Pippa. To me it' a nn for Philippa which is awful and dated.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    How about Penelope... I have a friend who uses the nn Pippa
    Married My Love 8/09, Blessed with Captain Adorable 3/12
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

BFP#1 7/13/11 EDD 3/16/12 DS born 3/16/12

BFP#2 5/16/14 EDD 1/23/15 CP 5/21/14

BFP#3 6/25/14  EDD 3/2/15 

imageimageimage

• Options
    Pippa as a nn

No periods due to 17 years of ballet and distance running after college.  Zero response to 2 months of Clomid, little response to Letrozole.  IUI left with 9 cysts = too many viable eggs due to age.  On to IVF.  Low dose of all meds still produced 37 mature eggs 12.6.11.  Froze due to overstimulation.  

FET #1.1 1.22.12 BFN.   FET #1.2 2.22.12=GRACE! (and a vanishing twin).  

Grace Katherine born 10.25.12 @ 36w6w 6#14oz 19.5".
    FET #1.3 3.2013 BFN FET#1.4 4.2013 BFN. Never tried a fresh transfer.  Let's try, despite 10 still frozen.  
    ER 6.26.13 27 mature eggs, slight overstim. ET   7.1.13 ectopic, FET 2.1  9.10.14   TRIPLETS!!  

Boys born 3.18.14 @ 29w5d.  Andrew Jack 3#6oz 16", Grant Robert 3#9oz 16", Charles Phillip 3#7oz 17".

• Options
    I LOVE Pippa. I think I just have a positive association with it and it reminds me a bit of Poppy
    Which I also love. Seraphina is nice but I feel is getting pretty trendy. If you like Pippa but aren't sure maybe try it as a nn as other suggested, to Penelope or something of the like. I however think it stands alone just fine :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"