Babies: 0 - 3 Months

how much does your 7 week old sleep

my lo is 7 weeks today.  He sleeps a lot during the day. Wakes to eat and stays up for a little and then back to bed.  At night he goes to bed around 10:00 and wakes every 3-4 hrs at night.  Just curious if other babies this age are staying asleep for longer stretches at night yet?

Re: how much does your 7 week old sleep

• I wish my little man would do this! He'll be 7wks Monday. Some nights he sleeps 3-4hrs straight, not often though. He's still waking every 2-3hrs.
  • My little one is 6 weeks old today. During the day he usually has 1 hour nap in the am around 9:30. He wakes and plays/eats until about 1:30 and then sleeps till about 5:30.

Evening time he may take another sleep at 7:00 then back up an hr later to eat/play. About 9:30 we start our nightly schedule of bath, lotion, sleep sak, and rocking. He usually falls asleep about 11 and sleeps a little after 5:00 am. Quick bottle diaper change and back asleep till 8:00 am.

He has been doing this almost exact pattern for 2 weeks.
  • Loading the player...
  • My lo is 7 weeks today and started sleeping through the night a couple of weeks ago. First we got 5-6 hour stretches, which then led to 8-10 hours a night this week. She goes into the rock n play between 10:30 and 11pm. Last night she woke up after 5 hours though.
    When she sleeps all night we don't get long naps out of her during the day, 10-20 minutes tops, and she'll nurse pretty much nonstop, but I'll take that if I can get a good night of sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My twins just started sleeping at night in 4-4.5 hour stretches at 7 weeks.They do nap during the day but the naps are getting shorter.
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• mac1178 said:

My lo is 7 weeks today and started sleeping through the night a couple of weeks ago. First we got 5-6 hour stretches, which then led to 8-10 hours a night this week. She goes into the rock n play between 10:30 and 11pm. Last night she woke up after 5 hours though.
    When she sleeps all night we don't get long naps out of her during the day, 10-20 minutes tops, and she'll nurse pretty much nonstop, but I'll take that if I can get a good night of sleep.

My little one is 8 weeks and she is the exact same. She started sleeping through the the night around three weeks. I went back to work at four weeks and thankfully she is on a good almost schedule. I think thats what really made the difference in her sleeping through the the night. I wake her up at six, some times she wakes up a little earlier. By seven fifteen we are out the door. She will usually only take little cat naps during the day. The car ride home around four helps knock her out. Sometimes she sleeps for an hour other times she is awake. But every night at eight we get ready for bed. Bath, eat, little rocking and down for the night.
  • eleolin8eleolin8 member
    edited March 2015
    QUESTION: For babies sleeping through the night, did the # of feedings increase in the day time or did feeding time increase?  Just wondering because my LO wakes 2x in the night to eat.  He is getting 4-4.5hr stretches of sleep but I feel like it is only because we have him in Merlins magic sleep suit as of the past 3 nights because he hates being swaddled.  He gets 8-10 feedings/day and is 7 weeks old.
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My Lo is on exactly the same schedule as yours. I have had 3 nites of 10/11~4/5
  • My twins go to bed at 10:30 and sleep til 3 or 4 and we feed and they sleep again til 8. We feed them 7 times a day. We don't have a set schedule for naps in the day yet-although I'd like to-how do you get a nap schedule going? I have one who likes naps and one who doesn't really fall asleep much during the day.
  • Does anyone wake their baby up to feed them during the night?
  • Wow! I thought we were doing great to get 3 hour stretches at night with our 5 week old. Are any of you exclusively breastfeeding? DD wakes every few hours to nurse.

As far as during the day she goes through cycles of waking for an hour to play, nursing for 10 minutes (fast let down) and sleeping for 2 hours. At night she sleeps from 10 pm to 6 am waking 2 or 3 times for feedings, then wants to play an hour and back to sleep from 7-9. She never goes longer than 3 hours without eating. The few times she has I wake her because I'm so engorged.
  • My son is 6.5 weeks.  He sleeps about 9 hours at night!  He's in daycare during the day (sadface). I think the semi-scheduled naps, feeding, changing that he gets during the day sets him up for a long night's sleep.  It's a benefit that I wasn't expecting to come from daycare, but I'll take it. I think good daytime naps make for a good night's sleep too, as when he's just too tired sometimes he has a hard time sleeping. 
  • OK so I must have jinxed myself with the above post.  My son HAD been sleeping through the night for about a week and then last night he was up twice.  I know there isn't a perfect way to do this, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong if he just all of a sudden starts waking in the night again.  Has anyone else experienced a period of sleeping through the night followed by some nights with two or three waking periods?  
  • kpjukpju member

OK so I must have jinxed myself with the above post.  My son HAD been sleeping through the night for about a week and then last night he was up twice.  I know there isn't a perfect way to do this, but it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong if he just all of a sudden starts waking in the night again.  Has anyone else experienced a period of sleeping through the night followed by some nights with two or three waking periods?  

As a STM I have to say this will happen often unfortunately. Babies/toddlers go through multiple "sleep regressions" in the first two years. My first slept through the night at 6 weeks and did so for the first year. For the most part he sleeps from 8 pm - 6/7 am but we randomly have a few nights in a row where he would wake in the middle of the night and it would often take hours to get him back down. My DS turned two a few weeks before DD was born and he hasn't slept through the night since!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but there are many sleeps nights ahead of all of us for the next few years....

• @IrisApricity you are not alone! My little guy will be 6 weeks on Saturday and wakes to breast feed every 2-3 hours during the night (yes I am exclusively breastfeeding). He has only been home from the NICU for a week and a half so I feel like I'm still brand new at this and it's kicking my butt! I'm just barely starting to get used to it. The only difference is in the day he consistently naps for 3-4 hrs at a time. My struggle is he sleeps so much during the day I feel like he wakes more in the night.
  • vpinevpine member
    I have twin girls, one sleeps 6 hrs, the other 4. When the first one wakes up, I take her to another room immediately to change diaper so she doesn't wake up her sister. I then return to the room and feed her bottle there and then she goes back to sleep.
    Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"