Baby Names

Honest Opinion on Name Elliot

My husband and I are at a stand still on names. We are down between Elliot Bryan and Benjamin Walker.

While I like both names, my fear is that Elliot is becoming trendy for girls (even though I cannot understand this). What do you think about Elliot for a boy? I don't want someone to read his name and not know if he is a boy or girl. My husband is set on Elliot, but I'm still struggling and I am in need of some honest opinions (my family and friends like to sugar coat everything).

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Honest Opinion on Name Elliot

• My best friends oldest son is named Elliot ..I think it's really cute and a much better boys name!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I mean... in what instance would someone be reading his name and not know if he were a boy or girl?  Either people are meeting him face to face and can see he is a male or they are reading paperwork which pretty much always requests gender.

This feels like a silly thing to be concerned about.

Go with what name you like the sound of best, fits into your family best, etc.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've known boys named Elliott and not girls. It's much better suited for a boy and if anyone doesn't know whether he is a boy or a girl when they hear the name I think it will make much more sense to them when they see your son. I'd say use it, it's a nice name
  • antoto I guess I phrased that poorly. In almost every case you are correct. They will either see him or it will have a gender next to it. I was thinking more along the lines of school. I worry that 5 or 6 years down the line when he is in school there will be both girl and boy Elliots in the class. Kind of like Alex-if I receive an e-mail addressed by an Alex I am not sure if it is a girl or boy anymore. I guess what I am trying to say is that I want a strong male name. Not something that could possibly be confused as a girl.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think Elliott is all boy! I do prefer it with two t's. It's a great name - if you like it, go for it!
    I really like the name Benjamin too. You can't go wrong with either.
  • I think Elliot is a fine name, but there's a chance that he will be mistaken for a girl. It's probably not likely, since while Elliot on girls is trending, it's not that common. 

In 2013 308 girls were named Elliot. 1,486  boys were named Elliot. 

It might be trendy for girls, but it's still a masculine name.

Now, if only the womens-names-aren't-good-enough-so-lets-give-our-daughter-a-mans-name trend would die in a fire.
  • Elliott is a great name. I don't think it'll be one those names that makes a big jump to girls...I've seen one girl named Elliott on a tv show (some reality thing with a family that had multiples, one of the many!)

• I don't hear Elliot and think "girl"  all. Even though it's becoming trendy, I have not seen this trend but Elliot is an adorable name for a boy :)

FTM & TEAM BLUE!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I love the name Elliot for a boy! So cute! However, it does make me want to poke a finger at your belly and say Elliot in my best E.T.
    Having said that, Elliot is still on my boy name list :P
  • I hear that Elliott is trending on girls but I've never met one IRL. I'm a teacher and if I saw Elliott on my roster, I would think "boy." Hope that helps!
  • edited February 2015

antoto I guess I phrased that poorly. In almost every case you are correct. They will either see him or it will have a gender next to it. I was thinking more along the lines of school. I worry that 5 or 6 years down the line when he is in school there will be both girl and boy Elliots in the class. Kind of like Alex-if I receive an e-mail addressed by an Alex I am not sure if it is a girl or boy anymore. I guess what I am trying to say is that I want a strong male name. Not something that could possibly be confused as a girl.

I hope you were just phrasing this again poorly because that is just massively insulting to women.

"I want a strong name - nothing associated with women!"  Because surely anything associated with a woman could not be strong.

side-eye.

If you love the name pick the name!  I have plenty of students of different sex who share names.  No one cares.
  • Elliott (I prefer two t's) is a masculine name. I too, cannot understand the trend to give masculine names to girls, it's not cute. 

Overall the response on this board is supporting this name for a boy with little to no confusion so I wouldn't worry too much about future classmates, etc. 

I like Elliott Benjamin best but Elliot Bryan is also a nice choice. I don't like Walker though, THAT sounds trendy.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • antoto  I don't see anything wrong with wanting a strong male name for my son. He is in fact a boy. I don't like when girls have historically masculine names or vice versa. It's not a sexist thing. It's just my preference. I know others disagree and that is fine. Hell, my own parents named my sister Blake - her first name is Jacqueline, but she has gone by Blake since birth. 

No where in my comment did I ever say anything associated with a woman could not be strong. I am all for women's rights and being a strong, independent woman. What I said was that I prefer not to use a unisex name for my son. Not because there is anything wrong with unisex names, but because it is my preference not to use one. I wouldn't name my daughter Harrison - not because I don't think women are capable of being strong/independent/etc., but because it is simply a masculine name. Same goes with my son - I prefer to name him with a name that is masculine.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Elliot is a boys name no matter how many fools name their daughters that!
  • It's all boy to me, but I prefer Elliott (2 t's) to Elliot. While it's trendy to put boy names on girls right now, I don't think Elliot is an overly popular choice. And, same as a PP, I'm a teacher and have never seen a girl Elliot, and if I saw it on my roster I would assume boy.
  • Elliott and Benjamin were both on my boy name list before super picky H vetoed them. Great names, can't go wrong :)
  • antoto said:

antoto I guess I phrased that poorly. In almost every case you are correct. They will either see him or it will have a gender next to it. I was thinking more along the lines of school. I worry that 5 or 6 years down the line when he is in school there will be both girl and boy Elliots in the class. Kind of like Alex-if I receive an e-mail addressed by an Alex I am not sure if it is a girl or boy anymore. I guess what I am trying to say is that I want a strong male name. Not something that could possibly be confused as a girl.

I hope you were just phrasing this again poorly because that is just massively insulting to women.

"I want a strong name - nothing associated with women!"  Because surely anything associated with a woman could not be strong.

side-eye.

If you love the name pick the name!  I have plenty of students of different sex who share names.  No one cares.

It's not insulting to women to want a strong male name for your son, just as it's not insulting to men to want a strong female name for your daughter.

I think it's clear that OP does not like gender neutral names and that's fine.. In fact I think many people on this board share that opinion.
  • I love Elliot!! Have always wanted it for a boy but my hubby isn't a fan.
    Also I haven't ever met a girl called Elliot and didn't know it could even be a girls name :)
  • I think the only time I've heard it as a girls name was on the TV show Scrubs. Otherwise I think it's a nice boy name, nms but very male sounding to me.
  • Kate0034 said:

antoto said:

side-eye.

It's not insulting to women to want a strong male name for your son, just as it's not insulting to men to want a strong female name for your daughter.

I think it's clear that OP does not like gender neutral names and that's fine.. In fact I think many people on this board share that opinion.
    Ah, perhaps I was unclear or I simply misunderstood OP.  It is totally fine to not prefer gender neutral names.  My problem comes when people think that simply because a handful of women are names this name it somehow is no longer a strong name.  Like a few women named this name somehow destroys it for men.  That is a mentality that bothers me.  
  • 4N6s4N6s member
    I really like the name Elliott Benjamin. I don't personally know any baby Elliott's and have only met one, me age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"