August 2015 Moms

Photographers in the delivery room??

Okay, so I have a best friend/cousin who is a professional photographer and she has always wanted to do a "welcome to the world" photo shoot. At first I was very excited and said yes...but now, I realize it's really not up to me since I'll be having a c-section.  Plus, she's pregnant too, and I don't want her to see my c-section and flip out and end up injured.  She says she is totally fine with everything, but maybe I'm just worried for nothing.  Is anyone else doing this?  Has anyone else ever done this?  Any advice on how to approach my doc with this idea?? 

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

SURPRISE!!!  Emma Leigh - due 8/27/2015 (c-section date 8/7/2015)

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Photographers in the delivery room??

• I would just straight up ask the Dr., "What is the hospital's policy on having photographers in the room during the C-Section?" I am sure others have asked as well.
  • I'd ask the doctor if she could be in there. Even with a c-section I bet the pictures would be absolutely amazing! A precious moment captured forever!
  • Loading the player...
  • Each OR is different. You'd need to talk to the OB first and see if she's even allowed in there. She may not be able to take photos until baby is completely out and only photos from your side of the curtain.

I wouldn't worry about her freaking out because it is a cesarean. I've never had a cesarean and wouldn't flip out. Unless you know her to faint at the sight of blood I'm sure she'll be alright.

My SIL photographed my fourth baby's birth. My husband sucks at taking pictures (overall, not just because he was caught up in what was going on) so all of our other births don't really capture those first amazing moments except the births SIL took photos.

I do recommend a photographer so your SO doesn't have to worry about it. Even if he's a photographer himself it pays to have someone else worry about all that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • My thought behind agreeing to this is that I never remember the delivery.  I've had 3 c-sections and been awake for 2, but have absolutely no memory of them. I want a picture of the look on my husbands face when he sees our baby for the first time.  I have seen quite a few pictures from c-sections and they turn out beautiful.  I don't mind her staying behind my side of the curtain at all, I wouldn't want pictures of my stomach cut open anyways.  I've seen enough c-sections first hand, that I am perfectly fine with not having any photo footage of my own. 

I will talk to my doc, he is generally pretty awesome, and even mentioned letting DH cut the umbilical cord last time, but I had an emergency c-section and he was in another OR, and the doc that delivered our baby girl was NOT having my husband any where near the baby to cut the umbilical cord (she sucked tremendously BTW).

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Oh I'm so sorry you don't remember their births. Makes me agree even more that having her photograph is a great idea!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • WDDCH said:

Oh I'm so sorry you don't remember their births. Makes me agree even more that having her photograph is a great idea!

my first i was unconscious for, and the last two, I had a bad reaction to the Mag sulfate and blacked out...waking up 4hrs after the birth each time.  Once having to be intubated...SUCKS!!

I just want to see the look on my husbands face and have that "first pic" with our baby.

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had an amazing birth photographer and I plan to do it again. I have pictures that will last a lifetime! I didn't have a c section though. I would say go for it! Just talk to your doctor to make sure it's allowed and make sure you really tell your photographer what you want. You won't regret it :)
        DS born 8-16-2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I'm a professional photographer and my sweet spot is Birth Story photography. I suggest that everyone have one done! Even if you decide you don't want the actual delivery photographed, I would have someone do the labor and after care (baby on chest, footprints being done, first bath etc). If she's never done one, you might want to consider someone that has experience. It's a differnt world than "smile," pose, repeat.

Your doctor and hospital will tell you their rules and regs on photographing during a c-section. Most only allow one support person (husband) in and they are funny about having things photographed or recorded due to malpractice. Some are strict, but my doctor allowed my husband (professional photog) to shoot both my my c-sections in detail. Some won't let you go past the drape that's set up because it's a sterile field so there is a lot to consider. Ask your OB. This type of photography is popular so it won't be the first they've been asked.
  • I'm a professional photographer and my sweet spot is Birth Story photography. I suggest that everyone have one done! Even if you decide you don't want the actual delivery photographed, I would have someone do the labor and after care (baby on chest, footprints being done, first bath etc). If she's never done one, you might want to consider someone that has experience. It's a differnt world than "smile," pose, repeat.

Your doctor and hospital will tell you their rules and regs on photographing during a c-section. Most only allow one support person (husband) in and they are funny about having things photographed or recorded due to malpractice. Some are strict, but my doctor allowed my husband (professional photog) to shoot both my my c-sections in detail. Some won't let you go past the drape that's set up because it's a sterile field so there is a lot to consider. Ask your OB. This type of photography is popular so it won't be the first they've been asked.

This will be her first c-section to photograph, but she has been a professional photographer for over 10yrs now.  She has done quite a few L&D photo shoots though, so I have confidence in her ability. I can see your point though about having someone with no experience.  If it comes down to her or my husband allowed in, I'll just have my husband take the pictures....but I'll still miss his face when he sees the baby for the first time. Atleast I'll have her there to photograph everything once they leave the OR.

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hopefully you won't have to have a c-section. They aren't the most fun :} Although I think no matter how they come out, it's not the most fun!

Good luck and you won't regret having the photos done. Looking back at them, it's so awesome to see how to day unfolds in everyone else's eyes. There will be things that you didn't see or don't remember. And having someone so close to you be able to do it is the cherry on top!
  • My mom had a photographer in the room with her c-section and the pictures came out beautifully. If its something you wanna do then definitely talk to your doctor about it.
  • Hopefully you won't have to have a c-section. They aren't the most fun :} Although I think no matter how they come out, it's not the most fun!

Good luck and you won't regret having the photos done. Looking back at them, it's so awesome to see how to day unfolds in everyone else's eyes. There will be things that you didn't see or don't remember. And having someone so close to you be able to do it is the cherry on top!

I wish it was an option for me, but after 3 c-sections, 2 being emergency, I don't get to VBAC.  Plus, I don't think I'd want to risk it with my history...

Cody Lane - 4/22/2004
    Colten James - 9/9/2005

Isabella Ann - 7/20/2012

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"