May 2015 Moms

GD(gestational Diabetes) test

I'm almost 27 weeks pregnant and my doctor wants me to take the GD test and i'm going to refuse. I'm hypoglycemic as it is, so I'm already watching what I eat. I just feel it's unnecessary for me. Has anyone else done this?

Re: GD(gestational Diabetes) test

• I'm hypoglycemic as well and watch what I eat but I still think it's important to take it regardless. It won't hurt. Only going to help you know more
  • I agree. I'd take the test. I have problems with insulin resistance due to PCOS, but I took it anyway. I barely passed the 1 hour and failed the 3 hour. If you fail it you'll still get very valuable information that could only help you and baby.
  • Loading the player...
  • In Ireland that test isn't mandatory but when it was offered I took it. Glad I did as it turns out I'm diabetic. It cant do any harm & better to know now if there are any problems
  • I failed the 1 hour one by a couple points (135) because my pregnancy brain forgot about the test and I ate sugar. My dr now wants me to take a 3 hour test even after I explained, he doesn't believe me. I told him I'm willing to retake the 1 hour one the correct way, but am not going to take the 3 hour one. So I guess in a way I'm refusing a glucose test.
  • Please take the test! There are no outward symptoms for you if you have GD, but uncontrolled GD can harm your baby irreversibly. I've looked after many babies who have been 5-6kg due to the mothers ignoring their GD. It's not just the weight of the babies, but their bodies internally that are permanently damaged. Please just get tested, and have your doctor explain all the risks.
  • No, I didn't refuse because although it was negative, it was the right thing to do. GD is harmful for both mum and baby and I wasn't willing to take that risk.
  • I failed the 1 hr. Which shocked me because I workout all the time and eat healthy. My sugar has always been low before. I did not have any symptoms at all. I also failed the 3 hr so now I have to talk to a nutritionist and learn how to test my sugar throughout the day. It's your choice if you get tested or not but if you have it you are putting yourself and the baby at risk.
  • laurexx said:

I failed the 1 hour one by a couple points (135) because my pregnancy brain forgot about the test and I ate sugar. My dr now wants me to take a 3 hour test even after I explained, he doesn't believe me. I told him I'm willing to retake the 1 hour one the correct way, but am not going to take the 3 hour one. So I guess in a way I'm refusing a glucose test.

The pretty much exact thing happened to me. Same score and tried to convince them that what I ate before skewed the test. The doctor was kind of a jerk to me and basically guilted me into the 3 hour test. It was terrible, but I passed.
  • They test for other things as well. I found out I'm anemic during the GTT test, and feel much better now taking extra iron. It can't hurt to take it; I would if I were you!
    Tyler Daniel (4) & Tessa Mary (2)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's not truly about what you eat in the morning, and that actually shouldn't affect the test. It's about how your body processes the sugar and produces the insulin to cover that sugar. If your body couldn't compensate to produce enough insulin to cover what you are in the morning and the glucola then you will be considered to have gestational diabetes. Because normally regardless your body should compensate. That's why some doctors do not even require their patients to fast.
  • I didn't refuse the test. As PPs said, there's no harm outside of a little pain from the stick. But, it's not about me, it's about my baby.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Some doctors will allow you to take your blood sugar throughout the day for a week and log all meals and review that, but not all are on board...
    I had initially planned on doing this but due to PCOS, and the associated insulin resistance, my midwife and I discussed it thoroughly and agreed that I would do the traditional 1 hour but only with the clear glucola as I was not comfortable with some of the artificial ingredients in the orange or fruit punch drinks
  • It's definitely good to know. If you do have gd they only control it with diet, aside from everything they know when you go to deliver. If you're someone who doesn't eat processed sugar or any sugar except for a few servings of fresh fruit per day and doesn't eat much grains you may be able to see if they'll do a postprandial blood glucose test instead. This is where they have you eat a healthy breakfast and then check you blood 2 hrs later. They did also check my hemoglobin that same day, which is also really good to know bc it reflects you iron levels. I was completely opposed to doing the other test bc of the processed artificial jelly beans or orange drink they make you have. Ick!
  • I refused the three hour test with my last pregnancy and this time I refused the one hour test. Instead I check my blood sugar as if I do have it. So I check my blood sugar 4 times a day and write it in a log book and give it to my doctor. The one hour test doesn't catch all GD. My doctor was fine with my choice.
  • ftmco said:

It's definitely good to know. If you do have gd they only control it with diet, aside from everything they know when you go to deliver. If you're someone who doesn't eat processed sugar or any sugar except for a few servings of fresh fruit per day and doesn't eat much grains you may be able to see if they'll do a postprandial blood glucose test instead. This is where they have you eat a healthy breakfast and then check you blood 2 hrs later. They did also check my hemoglobin that same day, which is also really good to know bc it reflects you iron levels. I was completely opposed to doing the other test bc of the processed artificial jelly beans or orange drink they make you have. Ick!

They also control it with pills and insulin, if diet isn't enough to get it under control. GH shouldn't be taken lightly, especially since it's progressive. It can get harder control with diet every week.
  • I went into my glucose test fully expecting to fail (diabetes on both sides), but was surprised to learn that I passed. You never know. Take the test. 
  • robr0303 said:

I refused the three hour test with my last pregnancy and this time I refused the one hour test. Instead I check my blood sugar as if I do have it. So I check my blood sugar 4 times a day and write it in a log book and give it to my doctor. The one hour test doesn't catch all GD. My doctor was fine with my choice.

Can I ask why you refused the 3 hour? And what happened? Did you treat yourself like you had it? Because I am going to refuse and was thinking maybe I should just cut out sugar until the end of my pregnancy.
  • A nurse in my dr office told me I had to take the 3 hour test , didn't even give me a choice . I failed the 1 hour test by a couple of points , becuase I had ate breakfast that morning .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"