February 2015 Moms
Options

Birth control

what is the soonest you can start bc after delivery? My doctor makes it seem like you HAVE to wait the 6 weeks before you can start it.. However my google research seems like you can start some earlier than others.. Does anyone have experience with this?

Re: Birth control

• Options
    I agree with the PP- to allow for a good supply of milk, etc.  NOt sure which method of BC you are choosing, but I chose the IUD last time round.  I wasn't letting ANYONE touch down there until at least 6 weeks!  As far as the pill or other forms, I have no clue.  Good luck!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Depo can be started prior to departure from L and D. The mini pill (progesterone only) can be started anytime from 4-6 weeks postpartum (we tell patients to start it at least a week before resuming IC). IUDs can be inserted at the 6 week postpartum visit as long as the uterus is well involuted and repairs look appropriately healed. Hope that helps!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My doctor said I should be on "pelvic rest" for 6 weeks anyway, which meant there was no need for BC before then.
  • Options
    Well I mean for whatever reason my hormones are raging and I couldn't do pelvic rest. That's why I am asking. We are using protection but I want to start BC as soon as possible. Lol I know yall will think I'm crazy! But seriously I couldn't say no to sex X_X
  • Options
    I'm formula feeding as we had many problems with breastfeeding :(
  • Options
    If you're still bleeding or your cervix hasn't closed, be wary of infection. Pelvic rest is as much about keeping foreign bacteria out (hence no tampons) as it is about healing torn and otherwise battered tissues. Congrats on the sex drive and feeling well enough to go for it.
  • Options
    @anxiousmommy85‌ thank you for that advice! My doctor said the pelvic rest was only for the uterus to shrink back down. Your point makes a lot of sense and I will take that advice! I definitely don't want any infection etc. My doctor also said tampons were fine. I have not been using them though. :-/
  • Options

Well I mean for whatever reason my hormones are raging and I couldn't do pelvic rest. That's why I am asking. We are using protection but I want to start BC as soon as possible. Lol I know yall will think I'm crazy! But seriously I couldn't say no to sex X_X

I'm so glad I'm not the only one. DH started feeling me up in the middle of the night and one thing led to another. We are deffinately going to wait till my appointment next week before we do anything else. I'm hoping to get an IUD. We also used protection and pulled. :-\"
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    It's fine as long as you're closed. And you may be. Easy as a quick cervix check.
  • Options
    I got the pill at 1 1/2 weeks and then I'll get the Nexplanon at 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Ahh I wish I was feeling well enough down there for sex! I miss it so much lol. My DH was gone most of my pregnancy, besides the quick visits we had for a weekend or Christmas. And he only got to be home the first 3 days of our LO life! So we had very few opportunities to have sex in the last 10 months- and by month 7 I was in no mood. It was uncomfortable to say the least. I'm still a little rough from the stitches and bleeding quite a bit still (2 weeks postpartum). But man I can not wait until I see my husband again in 4 weeks!
    I'm a little jealous I won't lie! Lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"