Baby Showers

Name Reveal at Baby Shower

I was thinking of a cute and unique to reveal baby's name at baby shower. Only a couple of people know the name (It wasn't official when we told them) , but they would not be allowed to participate, but I would first have to make sure they have not told anyone. I was thinking of a game of some sort.....any ideas or suggestions?!?!

Re: Name Reveal at Baby Shower

• Umm don't do it....
    A formal name "reveal" is so tacky.
    Instead why don't you add accents with the new baby's name.
  • I'm not quite sure what is "tacky" about it. 

That being said... I go both ways on this.  On the one hand everyone is together anyhow and I'd assume most of these people are excited for you and are probably interested in the name.  They may have fun with a reveal. You know your guests, I don't. 

But on the other hand, why does such a big deal need to be made?  I feel like parents these days need to make a BIG DEAL about everything baby related.  Gender reveals, nursery reveals (yes, I've  heard of this), and now name reveals.  Heck, people also try to find ways to make a production over announcing they are PG in the first place.

At some point people stop caring SO MUCH about each of these things for the same kid. 

If you haven't done all this other stuff, though, and the name reveal is the one thing you're having fun with, eh, I go back to "sure, do it". 

Of ANYTHING baby related, I will say that learning a new baby's name is truly one of the more interesting parts.
  • Loading the player...
  • I would have the name displayed somewhere but not do a game or actual reveal. Not everything baby related needs special reveals. You could even do it when thanking people or something but sex reveals, nursery reveals, name reveals when does it end?

• We didn't go a gender (sex) reveal, and we sent out emails and text on announcing the pregnancy and the sex. I just thought it would be a neat to the name reveal (it wouldn't be formal), but like you mentioned have accents at the shower with the name personalized or I even thought about a game, I think would be fun. Everyone keeps asking and we haven't told anyone his name. Only mentioned it to a couple of people that asked. Also, we didn't name him after one or anything, so I don't want to end up telling everyone how we came up with the name.

• This is not my style but maybe instead of making a formal announcement, you can have a banner that says Welcome Baby XYZ name, or maybe have the name on the cake and keep it covered until it's time to eat it. I don't think a name reveal within the shower is tacky, per se, just a bit AWish. But I also don't see a real issue with it either.

I agree with this. For some reason I envision everybody standing around a covered portrait like they would a reveal of the royal family portrait and then dramatically revealing they baby's name dropping the covering.
  • Just a few words of warning: everyone will have an opinion about the name, and not all of them will be nice and polite. At least most people will hold their tongue when the baby has arrived, but be prepared for lots of unsolicited comments and maybe even (strong) encouragement to rethink the name. Also, unless you've had an amnio or other genetic confirmation of sex, keep in mind that ultrasounds can be wrong. It's rare, but it happens. Might want to hold off on monograms until baby arrives!
  • Revealing the name at the shower is a cute idea.. however I wouldn't make it a super big deal. Maybe a sign or just the cake?
    Married DH 5/28/08
    DS Born 4/13/11
    DD Born 3/38/15

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • FemShep said:
    Just a few words of warning: everyone will have an opinion about the name, and not all of them will be nice and polite. At least most people will hold their tongue when the baby has arrived, but be prepared for lots of unsolicited comments and maybe even (strong) encouragement to rethink the name. Also, unless you've had an amnio or other genetic confirmation of sex, keep in mind that ultrasounds can be wrong. It's rare, but it happens. Might want to hold off on monograms until baby arrives!
    Yes, very much this too.  If you do tell people, just be ready for negative comments.  BUT at the same time, if you do reveal it at the shower, it might be a big enough "thing" that people will realize "oh, yeah, this is the name.  I need to stay quiet".
  • My shower was last weekend and there were some people who did not know the baby's name yet. We had her name on a box that was made for her, so it was fun to see the people's reactions for the name without making it a "big deal". As for peoples opinions on the name- I sure hope that they have enough tact to not make a comment the day of your shower (or at all really).

I actually like the idea of a PP to just put the name on a banner saying "welcome baby __________".
    BabyFruit Ticker

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We are having a fingerprint tree guestbook with the baby's name on it for my sister's shower. I don't know if she's told everyone the name yet but I think that'll be a good way to announce it and listen to everyone's comments as they sign the book.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are having a fingerprint tree guestbook with the baby's name on it for my sister's shower. I don't know if she's told everyone the name yet but I think that'll be a good way to announce it and listen to everyone's comments as they sign the book.

Hi @Designermomma‌ , I'm not trying to be rude but this isn't really your call to make about sharing the name and seeing everyone's comments. You need your sisters permission before the baby shower. I would be livid if my sister did that to me. Just trying to spare you some drama down the road. A name is a big thing to share, so let the future parents do it on their terms.
  • DesignermommaDesignermomma member
    edited February 2015
    Oh, I completely have my sisters permission. I didn't even know for sure the name they were choosing until she told me what she wanted to put on the guestbook. I offered to put a quote or something but she wanted the full name.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yeah, as someone who has been to a lot of showers and also... you know... has a facebook... I am REALLY sick of "reveals".  It just doesn't need to be so dramatic.  It feels like forcing your guests to have these HUGE reactions in response.  I hate that.
  • FemShep said:
    Just a few words of warning: everyone will have an opinion about the name, and not all of them will be nice and polite. At least most people will hold their tongue when the baby has arrived, but be prepared for lots of unsolicited comments and maybe even (strong) encouragement to rethink the name. Also, unless you've had an amnio or other genetic confirmation of sex, keep in mind that ultrasounds can be wrong. It's rare, but it happens. Might want to hold off on monograms until baby arrives!
    This.  If you haven't told many people the name yet, then you haven't experienced this.  Until the baby is actually born, people will feel free to criticize your name choice -- sometimes in a way that can feel harsh, judgmental, or abrasive.  No one will make negative comments on the baby's name once the baby is born, though.

I do know one person who announced the baby's name to everyone at the shower.  She didn't make a big production or a formal "reveal" out of it.  She just finished opening the last present, thanked everyone, stood up and said, "While everyone is here, I wanted to let you know we've decided on the baby's name. It's going to be ________."  I thought it was a great way to get this info out there to all the friends and family members at the same time.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Oh, I completely have my sisters permission. I didn't even know for sure the name they were choosing until she told me what she wanted to put on the guestbook. I offered to put a quote or something but she wanted the full name.

Oh good!!!!!! Lol You didn't say that in your post and I was thinking I might be able to same you some heartache!
  • saric83saric83 member
    edited February 2015

I do know one person who announced the baby's name to everyone at the shower.  She didn't make a big production or a formal "reveal" out of it.  She just finished opening the last present, thanked everyone, stood up and said, "While everyone is here, I wanted to let you know we've decided on the baby's name. It's going to be ________."  I thought it was a great way to get this info out there to all the friends and family members at the same time.
    I had a friend who did the same thing, and it was very low-key, but people seemed to really enjoy getting to know.  Plus, it was right at the end of the shower, so anyone with a big mouth and opinion was able to keep it under wraps for a few minutes. :)  
  • Yes I plan on doing it low key and also have the names displayed at the shower, so I'll just confirm what the baby name is once, I say my "Thank You's.

• That sounds awesome! Though for me, we might just have our baby's name on a banner, like 'We can't wait to meet you ****' :) 

I don't really like baby shower games personally, and I've forbid my mom from planning any...but to each her own! I say go for it! 
  • Umm don't do it....

Why is that what everyone says about these sort of events? Tacky, or that 'lacks etiquette', is there etiquette that should be followed? I've only been to 2 baby showers, and both times I thought they were boring...so to hell with what people think is tacky - just have fun!  
  • AmstreagleAmstreagle member
    edited March 2015

Umm don't do it....

Why is that what everyone says about these sort of events? Tacky, or that 'lacks etiquette', is there etiquette that should be followed? I've only been to 2 baby showers, and both times I thought they were boring...so to hell with what people think is tacky - just have fun!  
    Because some of us actually care about etiquette and the experience of our family and friends at events we host.
  • gypsea1109gypsea1109 member
    edited March 2015

Umm don't do it....

Because some of us actually care about etiquette and the experience of our family and friends at events we host.
    I guess I am just not old fashioned - in my family and friendships, we are all so close that etiquette gets tossed out the window! Lol! :))
  • Umm don't do it....

I guess I am just not old fashioned - in my family and friendships, we are all so close that etiquette gets tossed out the window! Lol! :))
    I don't think being selfish and rude to my family and friends is funny, and neither do they.
    Etiquette isn't old fashioned, unfortunately due to attitudes like yours it's becoming less and less common, but it should always be important to you to treat the people you love with respect.
  • I didn't know it was considered old fashioned to have respect and consideration for your guests. Go figure.

A lot of 'etiquette' rules don't apply to everyone! Having respect and consideration for guests can be different for different people.

Consider this - some mothers (like me) are likely going to have a barefoot, outdoors, picnic type of Shower...because that is how their families are. Other women are not ever going to be okay with that.

Everyone is different! :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"