August 2015 Moms

Insurance-how does it work for a new baby? When do I switch myself to husbands if taking a year off?

When do we need to contact the insurance companies?  I think that the baby automatically will be placed on my husband's insurance.  

Since we live in a new state and really don't feel comfortable leaving our child where we don't know people, I am taking a year off from working.  I am due August 18th and will have insurance through my work until August 31.  Any advice on when to switch to my husband's plan or how long this process might take?

Thanks all.  Hope everyone is having a wonderfully pregnant day.

Re: Insurance-how does it work for a new baby? When do I switch myself to husbands if taking a year off?

• If I remember correctly, you have 30 days after tithe baby is born to inform insurance and fill out all the forms. I'm not sure about getting on your husbands, but it would be worth calling them to find out and get all forms for you and the baby ahead of time. There is actually quite a bit of paperwork after they are born!
  • amylianne said:

If I remember correctly, you have 30 days after tithe baby is born to inform insurance and fill out all the forms. I'm not sure about getting on your husbands, but it would be worth calling them to find out and get all forms for you and the baby ahead of time. There is actually quite a bit of paperwork after they are born!

This. I agree, call ahead of time to make sure you have a smooth transition. My guess is you will have 30 days after you quit your job to get on his as well, I don't think you typically can until the "life changing event" takes place (unless it is open enrollment and you qualify), but I am by no means an expert on this. Your HR rep should be able to help you with some of your questions too.
  • Loading the player...
  • You will need proof that your insurance terminated for you to get on your husband insurance unless it happens to be his open enrollment period. You can apply as soon as yours terminates with that proof. Your baby can be added after birth within 30 days of being born-don't wait 30 days or you'll miss the window for life changing event. They should retro the baby's coverage to his/her date of birth.

• I'm in HR and handle these situation all the time. Once the baby is born / you leave your position you will need to provide proof of a "qualified life event" documentation that you have terminated your employment with your employer (you can probably obtain a letter) and then the birth certificate of the baby. Both need to be done within 30 of the event(s) happening.
  • daniellepandadaniellepanda member
    edited February 2015
    The baby will be covered under whatever insurance you have at birth for the first 30 days after birth. This can effect your plan/ premium cost depending on your insurance carrier.

Example- when I had my son I was under insurance through my own work by myself and my husband was insured from his job. When my son was born my plan went to a family plan vs individual so the premium I owed monthly jumped a lot.
    Team Pink! Baby Girl due 8.2.15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would give yourself plenty of time to get a letter from work as well. When I quite my job last summer my boss was kind of pissy at me and dragged his feet on giving me a letter for insurance.
  • ashorkey said:

I'm in HR and handle these situation all the time. Once the baby is born / you leave your position you will need to provide proof of a "qualified life event" documentation that you have terminated your employment with your employer (you can probably obtain a letter) and then the birth certificate of the baby. Both need to be done within 30 of the event(s) happening.

I work in HR as well and second this reply! :)
  • The baby will be covered under whatever insurance you have at birth for the first 30 days after birth. This can effect your plan/ premium cost depending on your insurance carrier.

Example- when I had my son I was under insurance through my own work by myself and my husband was insured from his job. When my son was born my plan went to a family plan vs individual so the premium I owed monthly jumped a lot.

This would be true if her insurance was not terminating. Since she could still be covered under her employers plan when she delivers, the baby would be covered under that plan for the first 30 days OR until the plan terminates. However, there are exceptions to this rule. For example, most Aetna plans require the infant to be added to the plan and the 30 day rule does not apply.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"