Baby Names

Can the meaning ruin the name?

You may recall from a past post that I want to use Mary for a mn if LO is a girl in order to honor both of my grandmothers. I tossed around the idea of using a form of Mary, such as Maren, but I'm still unsure.
Today, I heard the name Mariel (Mar-ee-el) and totally feel in love. However, I looked up the meaning and it says "bitter"
Does the meaning of the name turn you away from using it? Am I thinking too far into this?

Re: Can the meaning ruin the name?

• I dont think most people will know what the meaning is to a name unless they look it up.  You are over thinking.

I still love Mary the most!
  • I love Mariel! That is beautiful.
  • Loading the player...
  • Doesn't Mary mean bitter also?
  • Mariel is very pretty. You just have to decide if the meaning bothers YOU. Most of the time meaning won't change my mind on a name, unless it's really bad.
  • Mariel is a form of Mary. Some sources say Mary might mean bitter, but there are other possible origins of the name. You can read about it at BTN if you're interested.

Usually meaning is a deal breaker for me, but in this case it wouldn't be.
  • SyK13SyK13 member
    edited February 2015
    It seems that every baby name meaning website I look on has a different meaning to a name. If you like it, then the meaning shouldn't matter. No one really knows the true meaning to their name anyways!
  • Meaning would be a deal breaker for me, even if i knew no one else would really know. Might make a difference that I'm an English teacher and live words and etymology.
  • For me the meaning of a name matters very much. For others not so much. Only you know how you feel about this... 

The name Mary and most variants have several origins and among them is "bitter" "rebellious" or "sea of bitterness" but there is also "beloved" and "wished for child" so take your pick. I think Mary is a beautiful choice, which ever meaning you prefer.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Okay, with that being said & meaning aside, which would be your favorite then?
    Mary
    Maren
    Mariel
    Marielle
  • I don't think the meaning should be a deal breaker...most people don't pay that much attention to the meanings anyway imo
  • Mariel would be a great name for a little girl. Strong and feminine, and would pair well with a varity of middle names.
  • Okay, with that being said & meaning aside, which would be your favorite then?
    Mary
    Maren
    Mariel
    Marielle

I like Mariel!
  • The meaning of Mary is also "bitter."  I would assume that Mariel is a variant of Mary.

To answer your question, I think it is up to you.  Meaning is very important to my husband, and he will reject a name if it has no meaning to us whether we like the sound or not (for example, we both like Adria for a girl, but the meaning, "from Hadria" holds no meaning to us, and he no longer wishes to consider the name).  I, personally, can look past the actual meaning of the name if it holds a sentimental meaning or is a very beautiful name.  So, I think that it really depends upon your own perspective.

Mary
    Maren
    Mariel
    Marielle

I prefer Mary. And, if you have any Celtic or Norwegian heritage then Maren. 
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • I'm voting Mary ;)
  • Hmmmmm. If it was negative it may change my mind.
    I do like Mariel, Maren and Mary.
    Maeve is nice too.
  • 4N6s said:

Hmmmmm. If it was negative it may change my mind.
    I do like Mariel, Maren and Mary.
    Maeve is nice too.

I love Maeve!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"