Baby Names

Current trendy boy names? (XP from the other place)

DH and I are starting to narrow down our gigantic list of boy names and I want to scratch off anything that is trendy/time-stamped (different from a name being a near the top of the SS list but classic IMHO). Some boy names I feel like are trendy I've listed below but would love for others input on what the trendy names are. These aren't all on our list but thought if we have a thread of all the trendy names it can help anyone else wanting to avoid a trendy boy name. Thanks in advance!

Asher
Beckett
Declan
Ethan
Finn
Jackson
Liam
Logan
Ryder
Theo

**Signature Warning**

TTC since July 2013
DX: Unexplained or possibly DOR and DH 2% morph
3 IUIs May-July: all BFN
IVF Sept 2014: 12R 10M 8F, 5 day eSET 9/15, 4 frosties
Beta #1 353, Beta #2 651, EDD June 3

TRUST in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

Re: Current trendy boy names? (XP from the other place)

• I would toss everything but Ethan and Theo.
  • I don't consider Ethan or Logan trendy because I know as many older people with these names as I do kids.

Everything else is trendy or at least overly popular right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • The entire list as a whole reads trendy to me. Maybe Declan and Ethan aren't but Ethan is extremely popular. I see Theo as just a nickname and just throw away Ryder. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • LuvLoveXo said:

I would toss everything but Ethan and Theo.

If i read it correctly, this isn't her name list. It's a list of names that she feels are trendy. Right?
  • @BlessedMomma07‌ correct! Not looking for what to toss as these aren't even all on our list. These are names I keep hearing that I feel could be trendy but others may disagree. Just want a big list of trendy names that I can avoid. Please add anything you consider trendy.

**Signature Warning**

TTC since July 2013

TRUST in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. Proverbs 3:5

• Just making sure, in that case also add...

Landon
    Jace
    Jayden
    Dexter
    Rowan
    Mason
  • @BlessedMomma07‌ correct! Not looking for what to toss as these aren't even all on our list. These are names I keep hearing that I feel could be trendy but others may disagree. Just want a big list of trendy names that I can avoid. Please add anything you consider trendy.

Thank goodness!! Sorry I skimmed that so quickly the first time I read it. Goes to show you that these names are so trendy I assumed you were trying to narrow down from this list!!! Lol

Aiden (or the million other spellings)
    Anything that rhymes with Aiden
    Bentley
    Jace
    Henry

• I wouldn't consider Ethan trendy. Liam is super popular, but it has been around for a long time, it's just that everyone loves Irish stuff right now.

I'd add Atticus. I love the name, but it seems very trendy right now. 
  • I wouldn't consider Ethan trendy. Liam is super popular, but it has been around for a long time, it's just that everyone loves Irish stuff right now.

This is so frustrating to me. My H and I are (genuinely) very into our Irish heritage & Irish culture. We always planned to call our son Liam and also love other Irish names like Rowan... And suddenly they're uber-popular and we're rethinking everything.

Sorry just had to vent. :smile:

To OP-
    Ditto @LuvLoveXo‌ on the Aiden names. You can add Aiden, Brayden, Jadyn, Caden.. (am I even spelling these "right"?...)
  • Kate0034 said:
    I wouldn't consider Ethan trendy. Liam is super popular, but it has been around for a long time, it's just that everyone loves Irish stuff right now.
    This is so frustrating to me. My H and I are (genuinely) very into our Irish heritage & Irish culture. We always planned to call our son Liam and also love other Irish names like Rowan... And suddenly they're uber-popular and we're rethinking everything. Sorry just had to vent. :smile: To OP- Ditto @LuvLoveXo‌ on the Aiden names. You can add Aiden, Brayden, Jadyn, Caden.. (am I even spelling these "right"?...)
    I bet it is. I'd say go for it, if you love them, and then your kids can be like "Oh no, we're ACTUALLY of Irish heritage, not posers" Or you yourself can just cast shade. 

Of course, I've loved the name Adeline for years (used it for a character design in college, loved her so much) and it just feels like it got popular overnight. Ah well. 

H is all German and I'm mostly German, I'm pushing for Johannes if we ever have a boy. I don't think I'm going to win that though. :p
  • I wouldn't consider Henry a trendy name. I'd categorize it as popular but classic.
  • I agree with PPs...it hard, I wouldn't put some of the names in the "trendy" category necessarily, just popular.

Definitely:

Aidan (and the other various spellings)
    Camden
    Mason
    Cruz
    Dexter / Dax
    Asher / Archer
    Bentley
    Jackson (and other various spellings)
    Axel
    Jace/Jase
    Sawyer
    Hunter
    Gray / Grayson
    Beckett
    Levi
    Jayden/Kayden
    Atticus
    Lincoln
    Apollo
    Maddox
    Austin
    Landon
    Griffin
    Ryder

Sorry for any repeats
  • Forgot all about Mason! I've been hearing that one a ton on toddlers and babies.

**Signature Warning**

TTC since July 2013

• Declan may be new on the horizon in the u.s., but it is far from a trendy name IMO. It is an old 18th century Irish name, st. Declan. Has long been a very traditional name there. I guess it's just a matter of region.
  • Also Asher....A biblical name. I don't know how that's trendy. Thousands of years old
  • It's trendy because all of a sudden everyone is in love with it, and just this year alone the number of kids with that name is going to sky rocket. It might be a biblical name, but up until the past year or so I had only heard it on one person before, and now it seems that so many people are using it or at least suggesting it. Lately I've been hearing a lot of Peyton/Dayton/Paxton too.
  • I agree with @valeriemarie24‌ there are some very old nes that all of a sudden have become super popular and I consider those trendy for that reason.
  • Well trends go out of style. Classic names may go in cycles, spike in popularity at one point then die out again. To me, trendy names have no real strong meaning, history behind them. Or perhaps made up names. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.
  • Kate0034 said:
    I wouldn't consider Ethan trendy. Liam is super popular, but it has been around for a long time, it's just that everyone loves Irish stuff right now.
    This is so frustrating to me. My H and I are (genuinely) very into our Irish heritage & Irish culture. We always planned to call our son Liam and also love other Irish names like Rowan... And suddenly they're uber-popular and we're rethinking everything. Sorry just had to vent. :smile: To OP- Ditto @LuvLoveXo‌ on the Aiden names. You can add Aiden, Brayden, Jadyn, Caden.. (am I even spelling these "right"?...)
    I bet it is. I'd say go for it, if you love them, and then your kids can be like "Oh no, we're ACTUALLY of Irish heritage, not posers" Or you yourself can just cast shade. 

Of course, I've loved the name Adeline for years (used it for a character design in college, loved her so much) and it just feels like it got popular overnight. Ah well. 

H is all German and I'm mostly German, I'm pushing for Johannes if we ever have a boy. I don't think I'm going to win that though. :p
    Too cute! And he could go by Joe for a nn. Out of my own etymological curiosity, is it pronounced Yo-han (like the a sound in Han Solo) or Jo-han (like the a sound in hand)-es? Or I guess even Jo-han (as in my first example)-es is a possibility with the little I know of German. I love language!
    Diane
    First Timer!
    EDD: 6-13-15
    Me: 34 Hubs: 37

Pregnancy Ticker

imageimage
                                                                    Jean-Luc                                   Unna       

• Silas. Emmett. Hunter. Jaxon. Aiden.
    Those are just names I've heard a lot lately.
  • Well trends go out of style. Classic names may go in cycles, spike in popularity at one point then die out again. To me, trendy names have no real strong meaning, history behind them. Or perhaps made up names. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though.

So if the name Asher is eventually going to go out of style, doesn't that make it a trend?

• Kate0034 said:

This is so frustrating to me. My H and I are (genuinely) very into our Irish heritage & Irish culture. We always planned to call our son Liam and also love other Irish names like Rowan... And suddenly they're uber-popular and we're rethinking everything.

Sorry just had to vent. :smile:

To OP-
    Ditto @LuvLoveXo‌ on the Aiden names. You can add Aiden, Brayden, Jadyn, Caden.. (am I even spelling these "right"?...)

Too cute! And he could go by Joe for a nn. Out of my own etymological curiosity, is it pronounced Yo-han (like the a sound in Han Solo) or Jo-han (like the a sound in hand)-es? Or I guess even Jo-han (as in my first example)-es is a possibility with the little I know of German. I love language!

Proper would be yo - hah-nes (hah being long like Han solo). Most English speakers would say Jo - han- es though, which is our main issue with it.

But it would sound so awesome with our very German last name. Ah well.
  • I like the name Liam too. I hate that it's becoming trendy. @Kate0034‌

**Signature Warning**

TTC since July 2013

• Beckett
    Bentley
    Jackson/Jaxon/Jax
    Peyton
    Grayson/Greyson

• @valeriemarie24‌ - my point is precisely that. Asher won't go in and out of style. It has been around for thousands of years...and has ALWAYS been popular in Jewish communities. Names do go through cycles. I hear Henry a lot now too...do consider that trendy?
  • Yep, Henry is what I'd call trendy at the moment. Name trends are just like clothing trends or any other kind of trend. They might have been around for a while but when a sudden influx of people all start using/liking them like crazy, that is a trend. And up until about 2013 I knew only one Asher, now I'm seeing them all over the place. Hence, trend
  • Also, if you look at OP's list of trendy names to avoid, Asher is #1
  • I must be a total trendsetter seeing that I named my son Declan almost 11 years ago. ☺️☺️
  • Do you think Owen is trendy or is becoming trendy? I like the name but don't know any Owens over 3 yrs old.

**Signature Warning**

TTC since July 2013

• Owen is on the rise. May not be as big as some of the other names but I've been noticing it come up a lot more lately.
  • Theo and Asher are great and IMO, timeless. I would toss the rest.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"