Trouble TTC
Options

Intro: PCOS & New Dr. this Fri but moving soon... Advice? (child & adoption mentioned)

Hi, I'm new and need a little advice, so this will be my intro and newbe question. 

at 18 I got pregnant and placed my son for adoption. (for so many reason, but as one of 4 kids and my mom being 1 of 5 I "knew" i would have children someday). Well at 6 months after birth I still hadn't gotten a period, around that time my ob/gyn had blood work done and a sonogram and told me I have PCOS. She told me there was nothing to do until I was ready to have children and put me on the pill.  Ironically this is the same issue the mother who adopted my son has... but I wont even get in to all that pain. 

Well I left the job I had that insurance with went to college and only went to planned parenthood and my college clinic for my pap and pill. I have all of the symptoms of PCOS down to I could grow a beard if I wanted to. 

It is now 8 years later and I am married and ready to start my family. I have been off BC for a year, cleaned up my diet and started having a period but no luck. In fact I have currently been on this period for 10 days :(. The pain was so bad that I called my PCM yesterday and got a emergency referral to an ob/gyn for this Friday. 

My husband is active duty military and we are moving clear across the county in 4 months (from FL to AK). I was waiting till after the move to start working on medically TTC, but I figure if I've having to see an ob/gyn now I may as well start and we'll just transfer my records to my new Dr in AK.  

But I'm not sure what to ask for. Sadly I called my old Dr who diagnosed me with PCOS and they destroy records after 7 years. Do i just not shave my chin and go in with stubble and say "I have PCOS and would like to start something" .... I'm not sure what to ask for and I didn't pick the ob/gyn Tricare did so I don't know if he is experienced with PCOS or will waste time wanting to "wait and see". 

What do you suggest I ask for/get started?   

Thank you in advance! I hope this site is as helpful as it looks!

~Courtney 

Me (30)- PCOS....
DH (34) 
Eloped Dec2013/Married Sep 2014 

TTC since early 2014

ART worked EED 6/13/19

Re: Intro: PCOS & New Dr. this Fri but moving soon... Advice? (child & adoption mentioned)

• Options
    GoldenKeysGoldenKeys admin
    edited February 2015
    Welcome, I'm sorry that you found yourself here, but glad that you found us.  Because you have been trying for over a year and have a diagnosed fertility issue, you really should see a reproductive endocrinologist (RE) instead of an OBGYN.    An OB is excellent for taking care of you once you've gotten pregnant, but rarely have the proper training or the equipment to help you get pregnant if there are infertility issues.   You can waste precious time and even hurt your pregnancy chances if the wrong thing is done.

An RE will be able to give you the proper testing, will make sure that PCOS is not the only issue (you'd be surprised to find how many couples have more than one issue that is affecting their fertility).   You will also be monitored if necessary.   I have no experience with TriCare so I don't know if you will have to get a referral from your primary or not.

Definitely stick around and let us know how you are doing.   There are definitely other people with PCOS who can give you more insight as well.  Good luck!

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• Options
    Thanks,

With Tricare Prime (that I have) I am required to get a referral for each Dr. I see from my primary Dr.  I've never heard of a RE before this site so I'm glad I got on when I did!  

Me (30)- PCOS....
    DH (34) 
    Eloped Dec2013/Married Sep 2014 

TTC since early 2014

ART worked EED 6/13/19

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"