Stay at Home Moms

Quick Question About Ectopic Pregnancies... Not Sure Where to Post This...

I'll just stick with this board since it used to be my comfort zone back when I posted on the Bump more!

Has anyone experienced an ectopic pregnancy? I'm just wondering what to look out for and expect if I have one. I highly doubt I am pregnant as my tubes are tied but I am late, which I never am. Getting BFNs though. Just a bit worried since I know an ectopic could occur after a tubal and I really don't want to have some kind of emergency when I am home alone with the kids! Can you tell I am a worrier?! :p

I also don't want surgery, if it is caught early, do they give you pills? How many days late should I go, with BFNs, before I call the doctor to be sure it isn't an ectopic?

P.S. I realize being pregnant after a tubal AND getting negative HPTs after missed AF would be very rare haha, just humor me!

Thanks!! :)
Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

Re: Quick Question About Ectopic Pregnancies... Not Sure Where to Post This...

• Well I do track just for convenience sake, and I also have obvious ovulation symptoms which coincide with my chart. I also have an app on my phone that is almost always spot on. So I do know I'm late. Thank you for responding! :)
    Abigail Noelle, 8.29.09
    Brady Phoenix, 8.29.09
    Claire Zoe, 10.26.10

• So you have been temping and saw a spike followed by two days of high temps? Oh no? Then you don't know you ovulated therefore have no idea if you are late.
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PP in that if you are 60+ days late, then call ASAP.  It's not unusual at all to miss or skip a period from time to time. It drives one bonkers to have happen, but not uncommon. 

Ectopic can be pretty painful.  Watch out for pelvic pain.  When in doubt, call your OB's office...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I dont think you can treat an ectopic with pills, its just not that kind of fix. Surgery is necessary, though if it did come up, at least you wouldn't care about losing a tube.
    I had a friend recently had an ectopic with neg EPT. Hope your situation turns out well and AF is just running behind! :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was diagnosed at 5 weeks 4 days with an ectopic pregnancy. Here are the signs that you should look for:

Cramping or sharp pain on one side of the abdomen &/or spotting
    Dizziness
    Fatigue
    Nausea
    Fever or chills

If you are diagnosed early, your doctor may recommend low dose Methotrexate shots. I'm not sure if that is an option with tied tubes, but the shots stop the cells from dividing and ends the pregnancy. I received two shots the day I was determined to be ectopic, even though they couldn't see anything clear on my u/s. After two more bouts of painful cramping I returned to the doctor today (6 days later after the shots) and they could see the ectopic on the u/s. There is still a chance it could rupture until my levels hit zero.

If you have any kind of intense cramping, I would call your doctor. Some women only experience light cramps until the day their tube ruptures, but mine were extreme... Like fetal position all day extreme.

Wishing you the best!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"