December 2014 Moms
Options

Pumping problems

Since I'm going back to work in less than a month, I've started to get serious about pumping, mostly to build a backup freezer supply. But I am getting really frustrated with how it's going.

Issue 1: I WAS pumping very successfully a few weeks ago, getting 4-5 oz after double pumping for 20-30 mins. I took a break from pumping for a while and only breastfed for about two weeks. I started pumping again a few days ago, but now all of a sudden it's taking 30 mins to get barely 1 oz! So frustrating!! I've tried during the day and in the middle of the night.

Issue 2: I am getting engorgement and clogged ducts afterward. So it seems like I'm not getting fully drained?

The pump seems to be in perfect working order. Im thinking it may have to do with the pressure, but cranking the pressure up a lot just seems to make things worse.

Starting to stress out about going back to work... I want to bf for as long as possible.

(Ps, where did everybody go? It's been a while, seems like something went down..?)

Re: Pumping problems

• Options
    Did you try breast massage while pumping or those boobie heat packs? Wish I could help more w/ pumping. Have been pumping exclusively since week 2-3, so baby gets some breastmilk, but have never gotten more than 3 oz for both breasts. Usually it's 1 - 1.5 oz per session though. Even the IBLC advice didn't help, but those are suggestionsI've recived from multiple friends.

BTW, I am also wondering what went down. If someone could enlighten us, I'd appreciate it. I was offline for about a week to two weeks after baby so missed everything apparently. Disclaimer: I am nosy and hate not knowing what happened.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm really impressed that you pumped 4-5 oz, I rarely get more than 2-3 oz. i doubt your pumps broken I think babies are just more efficient. I agree massage can help, and staying hydrated. I think a freezer full of milk would be nice, but getting a few days ahead is probably more realistic since it takes 2-3 pumping sessions to equal one feeding. Best of luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    bjwojtonbjwojton member
    edited February 2015
    What I do is kinda massage and add pressure on different spots as I'm pumping. I pump for about 25 minutes per breast to get that second letdown. (I really need a double pump lol) Make sure you're drinking 9 glasses of water a day. I'm guilty of not doing that every day, but it's what I was told would help milk production by the midwife. I get 4-6oz every pump session. *edited to add, don't crank up the suction on your pump. That can temporarily shut down your ducts and cause you more issues (what I've been told anyway). I've found if I turn the pump up to about 3 clicks, it's the perfect amount of suction for me.

Also, I know what happened but someone else can get more in depth. TL:dr version, a bunch of people got banned and called bad apples. Regulars got mad at TB. Everyone went to another forum.
  • Options
    Do you think that maybe you need to change your membranes on your pump?  There could be a small hole in them and thus not suctioning well. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    Your milk supply is settling down. Normally happens around 6 - 8 weeks. So if you weren't pumping then your supply probably dropped. Might take a while of pumping regularly to get it back up.

• Options
    The same exact thing happened to me! I think I got relaxed about pumping because I saw how much I was getting, then it stopped! On someone's suggestion, I started feeding on one breast for one session in the early morning (6-8am) and then pumping the other. I've been getting 3-4 ounces that way and I like using one hand so I can sip my coffee with the other, I think it took a few days for my body to adjust. I am still nervous about going back to work though. I don't think that will change no matter how much frozen milk we can accumulate!
  • Options
    Also, it's not always true that you pump less than baby eats. Many women pump more and end up freezing some even when back to work. Some babies adjust and eat less during the day and then more when mom is home. I know it's easier said than done but relax. Worst case scenario you use some formula. Baby won't starve!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"