Infertility

IVF out of country?

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone abroad or is planning on it for their IVF?
We are looking at paying fully out of pocket and India is looking like a good option over the high cost of doing it here.

Re: IVF out of country?

• We were looking into doing it in the Czech Republic, but decided against it due to work. We might still consider it in the future though? There are a few ladies I've seen on here do it overseas; however, I'm not sure if there's anyone currently cycling out of country at this moment in time?

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• Am i right in assuming I would be wanting to be where ever I go for about a month?
  • Loading the player...
  • $4-7k for treatment from what I can see. And a 5 star hotel works out to about $120 a night.
    I'm still trying to work it all out.
  • tptbabetptbabe member
    edited December 2014
    I'm just curious what the costs are in India? I can't imagine it is that cost effective when you factor in airfare, lodging, lost wages in work. 

We priced it out (including everything from airfare, meals, taxis, etc.) and it was about a thousand dollars cheaper than doing it here (we're in Canada too, so there's that) *before* factoring in the cost of meds. The meds are cheaper there as well, but when we were pricing it out, we were planning on having our meds costs reimbursed. Factoring that in, it would be probably $2-$3K cheaper than here. We're fortunate to have a good amount of time off, so using our vacation time wouldn't be too much of an issue for us. I would still consider it, but DH wants to stay at our current clinic.

@MeatandBandP - They will store frosties for you to transfer there at a later date, or you can pay to have them transferred to another clinic closer to you :)

ETA: The pricing we used was from CR (Zlin), not India, but I imagine the costs are similar.

image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• lemonliz said:
    Be sure you know what is included in that price so that you're comparing apples to apples. 

That price seems concordant with the price of some of the bigger clinics here in the US that discount, if the $4K-$7K is just the cost of the ER/ET. Usually the price you will get from the RE doesn't include monitoring, meds, or cryopreservation, ICSI, and FE storage. If the clinic you are looking at includes all of those things for that price, it might be a significant savings to cycle but you're also incurring costs for traveling, taking time off work, and hotel stays.  

That said, good luck with whatever you choose! 

Excellent points! (We did calculate all costs, just as an FYI :) ) Most clinics don't advertise the "hidden" costs!
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***

• Hi Everyone,
    My wife and I were also looking at doing IVF abroad, and specifically in the Czech Republic. In terms of facility quality and price, it seems like very good option. The only hesitancy we have is figuring out the most efficient way to get my wife prescribed the medications for the stimulation phase. The first option would be for my wife to remain abroad for over a month to do everything in one location. This is not an option for us because of work. So if we want to do it abroad we either need a doctor from abroad to prescribe and ship the medications, or a U.S. based doctor to work with the foreign doctor to prescribe us the medications here. I have contacted the overseas IVF clinic to see if there were any legality issues in shipping and using the fertility medications in the U.S., and their response was not clear or definitive. So, I contacted our U.S. based OB/GYN to discuss whether he would be willing to coordinate with a foreign doctor and prescribe the fertility medication. Thus allowing us to complete the stimulation in the United States, and then travel abroad for only a week. I have yet to hear a response. It seems to me that there would be a booming industry for U.S. based OB/GYNs to cooperate internationally with reputable facilities in providing to this niche market. Does anyone have any experience or recommendations on how they would or have accomplished what we are trying to do? I am only interested in procuring the medications in a 100% legal manner, as I work in a position of public trust. I'm very interested in hearing about the experience of others looking at doing IVF abroad. BTW, for the facility in the Czech Republic, I was quoted at 1500-2000 EUR (1732-2309USD) for meds, and 2,600USD for everything else. 

• Hi,

I just returned from the Czech Republic and am currently in my TWW. Going there (including airfare, hotel, food, entertainment, meds & all procedures) cost us 1/3-1/2 of what it would have cost us to do IVF here. I had some very serious complications (by no fault of the clinic) and needed surgery the day after ER. I was SO well taken care of and all medical treatment was included. Even 3 days hospitalized at the clinic and not a single penny extra.

My experience, complications and all, was so positive. I am so happy with my decision and truly feel that I received the best care possible. Being away from home was also wonderful, so as to not have to deal with everyday stresses of life. Plus DH was with me all the time, rather than at work. We were gone for 12 days total, including travel days. My stims were shipped to me and I did my first ultrasound locally. I had my injection lesson via Skype. My regular ob/gyn was able to help me with everything I need to do locally.

I went through a coordinating service here in the US. She (and everyone I dealt with at the clinic) was so wonderful. I honestly can not say enough positive things about my experience and can not recommend my clinic enough.  

Please feel free to contact me for more info. I am so happy with my choice and would love to share the information with you.

BabyFruit Ticker

image image

• Well... Sorry to jump here but maybe this info may help somebody!
    Currently I'm doing my ivf in Mexico, our insurance doesn't cover ivf in usa so this was the best and cheapest option, we also considered india as my husband it's from chennai, but the food and accommodation it's the challenging part, also that it's a very long trip from the states (where we live), but I have to accept that they have very smart doctors, I'm mexican and all my family live here in Mexico, so I did my research all over hahaha , if you consider to come and do ivf here in Mexico the best places are Mexico city or Guadalajara, my brother live in Tijuana and I know many people from California go and do the procedures there, in my personal opinion it's a very dangerous city so I skip that option, I found 2 places that are the best ones here in Mexico and at the end I came to IMER here In Guadalajara and we are trying to do Icsi. I have been here already 3 weeks and I have read in other posts that they only need 2 weeks to perform ivf but I feel it's very less time. Ok now to the important .. The price.. To freeze dh things we spent 140 dlls per year (as he have low count and low all with risk of loosing all so we decided to back up and freeze), on meds I spent around 2000 dlls but this depends on everybody, and icsi with et and if you have embryos to freeze the total it's 3000 usd, hope this helps and good luck to all!' Any questions happy to help!! Baby dust!!
  • Dear Yapo85, thanks for ur post. What does IMER stand for? Is there a particular person I should ask for? How was their competence n patient care? Good luck! We did IVF in NC 4 times since last year without success. Want to keep trying but too $$$, especially here in NC. DH is quarter Mexican n speaks Spanish. Thanks for ur help.
  • AlisiaguapaAlisiaguapa member
    edited February 2015

Hi there

I hope you don`t mind me jumping in. I just saw the name of the topic and wanted to share my experience a bit. I am 34 yo and have POF. My hubby is 38 with no fertility problems. The only thing is that his sperm is a bit slow. We have been together for a while and have been dreaming about having a baby all that time…  My only option to become a mother remains DE IVF. Hubby and I decided to try Spain for the treatment. And we used Barcelona IVF clinic. I`ve undergone there 2 cycles. The first one was on fresh donor eggs, shared with another couple. It was our very first experience of infertility treatments. Everything seemed to be new and weird to us. We were so nervous about the result… I do not know why, but none of embryos transferred attached. We had just 5 eggs fertilized and 2 of them made it to day 4. So that I had 2 morulas implanted. We were almost sure that it would work. So that our bfn was like the cross put on our dream of becoming parents. It was really hard to stay positive…

After some time passed we decided to do another attempt. We just wanted to be parents so hard… For our second try we paid for exclusive egg donor. So that we got all the eggs retrieved, without sharing with another couple. That time we had 9 eggs fertilized and 5 of them made it to the 4th day. 3 morulas were transferred, as it is the number allowed in Spain. And another time bfn. Another depression for long weeks. I don`t see any point to tell about these attempts in details because they were unsuccessful. Just will sum up that we spent a lot of money and I gained weigh. It was so hard to get rid of the feeling that we would never ever become parents. But we managed to do it. And started looking for relevant information. After a huge research we found a clinic which fit us well. After two rounds in Spain we were a bit short on budget. So we were looking for best prices.  We decided for clinic in Ukraine, in Kiev. Sure it was a hard decision taking in consideration unstable situation over there. All this images on TV and so on looked so scary. But after talking to people who had just came back home from Ukraine, we calmed down. The success rates of the clinic were really good and the prices also. There were several packages for egg donation programs and we chose one, which fit us the most. The cost was 9900 and it was a refundable pack! Which mean that if you do not succeed after 5 attempts, you get your money back. Except for money spent on the medication, as it was included into the price. There was actually everything needed included. We were provided with accommodation, food and transportation during all time we had to stay in Kiev. As we already had 2 failed cycles we decided not to risk and go with this package. We were assisted really well by the manager. And the doctor in charge of the program answered all our questions. Right after signing contracts we got all the drugs needed for 3 months. And then just went back home, looking forward for the ET. We were full of positive emotions and belief that with new clinic it would work. I started stimulation from home, I already new everything about it. Felt like an expert J And then we finally came. Even felling like an expert about stimms, I was still afraid like a newbie to face transfer. But everything seemed to be fine, 7 DE were fertilized and 3 blasts transferred. I had ET on the 5th day after fertilization, it was 15 of December. I got BFP!!! I was really so excited and happy. Could not believe that it had really happened! The very first attempt with this clinic and success. Now I am pregnant with twins. I am still so nervous about delivery, I am so afraid of loosing my babies… But at the same time so happy to become pregnant finally!! Can not even find right words to describe my feelings! I am sorry to have written that much… I am just still excited. The only things I would like to tell to all those who need to undergo infertility treatment not to be afraid of going abroud! Sometimes it can be a solution you are looking for

Good luck to everybody Xxx

• I did my IVF procedure in Reynosa Tamaulipas Mexico, I live on the border so it was very easy to cross back and forth.  All my doctors visits including medications and ultrasounds were done at the doctors office in Reynosa.  The egg retrieval and transfer was done in Matamoros which wasn't that bad since the hospital was right across the Brownsville border.  I heard that many places just use a sedative for the egg retrieval and after watching several videos I could see women were under a lot of pain, my doctor used general anesthesia so I did not feel any pain at all.  The total cost was 4000 dlls including medications.  I conceived my twins on my first try.  Another good thing about this facility is that if first time fails, they give you 50 % off the second time and then free the third time, you just need to pay medications.

Baby girl twins Alexa and Alexis conceived through IVF on 2014.

Expecting baby girl Adamari Conceived NATURALLY.

Due Date August 2015

• We've personally thought about doing a cycle in India (both my husband and I grew up for most part in Chennai, India & we both have a lot of doctors in our families to help us get a recommendations for the best clinics there) but we unfortunately can't take advantage of all this because my husband is on the transplant list and we can't risk missing out on that call should it come earlier than anticipated.

If not, we would definitely have tried in India without doubt. I also know of a European couple who did do their second IVF in India versus UK and were finally successful.

DH :  36, has Chronic Kidney Disease, on dialysis & is waiting on the transplant list (average wait for B+ is 5 years)

Me:   36, Hypothyroidism, PCOS, BMI 32, need to be done with "child bearing" ASAP so that I can be a Kidney donor (was fun realizing we didn't as much time as we thought :-/ )

We're TTC#1

IUI #1 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + Ovidrel Trigger + Had the one follicle = BFN  (March 2014)

IUI #2 : 5mcg Letrozole (CD 3-7) + 150 iu Bravelle on CD9 (after much begging!) + Had the one follicle = BFN (April 2014)

7th May 2014 - changed REs, this one seems to care (we think....)

IUI #3 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 3 follicles (2 under 15mm) = BFN(May 2014)

IUI #4 : 7mcg Letrozole (CD 3- 7) + 75 iu Bravelle (CD 8-12) + CD12 Scan 5/16 + Had 1 follicle + DH gave best sample so far = BFN(June 2014)

IVF#1 -  ER Only Cycle Sept-Oct 2014, 17  eggs Retrieved, 14 mature, 10 fertilized, 6 made it to Blast & post PGS  5 were not viable due to chromosomal abnormalities
    Not sure where we go from here...

We're parents to two very adorable, bratty, affectionate & goofy Bernese Mountain Dog pups who would very much like a 2 legged baby brother or sister of their own!

• We chose Ukraine as an option. Our journey has only begun and it's too early to judge. But at this moment I'm satisfied) We're using Ukrainian biotexcom. We chose package for €6.900. We have 2 attempts of ivf. I hope we won't need the second one) We were given an opportunity to choose donor. I'm sure I won't feel my child isn't mine in any case) Good luck!