Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Sign of Reflux?

Ok FTM here so this may just be unneeded worrying, but thought I would ask other moms!

DD is 2 weeks old today. We started out breastfeeding, but she had latch problems and would also just chew on my nipple, causing crazy pain. So I'm now pumping and giving it to her out of a slow flow bottle. She was doing fine until Thursday night, when she decided to try to recreate the movie the Exorcist and projectile vomit all over me and the couch.

She isn't much of a burper (she fights it), she gets hiccups constantly (whether she's eating, crying, etc. doesn't matter) and I make sure she's sitting up to eat and for 10 minutes or so afterward.

I thought we just had a fluke with the projectile deal until last night when she did it again...and then again two more times this morning.

Has anyone dealt with this? I know babies spit up but I never figured it would be projecting a foot at a time! I feel so bad for her!

Re: Sign of Reflux?

• If this continues today, please see your doctor. Projectile vomiting can be a sign of pyloric stenosis, which is a tightening of the pyloric sphincter between the esophagus and the stomach. It is rare for a female to have but I had this as an infant and required surgery at 5 weeks old. I don't want to freak you out just want to let you know projectile vomiting can be a sign of something more serious than reflux. Prayers for you and your baby that everything is ok and she's just adjusting to being 2 weeks old.
  • Whoa ^^^ that is scary!

OP, call your Pedi. My DD did that when she was first born and she's now stopped. Might not be something serious but call the Pedi anyways.

• Loading the player...
  • We went to the dr yesterday afternoon, as I was getting concerned. The dr is leaning towards just a little reflux and suggested more frequent feedings with less at a time, but he did bring up the pyloric stenosis because it presents itself at about this age. So we are currently just observing to see what happens in the next couple of weeks! Fingers crossed it's nothing major!! If she keeps vomiting then we go back for an ultrasound. Thanks for the responses!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"