September 2014 Moms

Reading to baby

Every time I take LO to the doctor, the doc asks if I'm reading to him.  I am.  Others who read to your babies, do you switch it up and read lots of books, or do you read the same couple over and over?  Do you find your LO enjoys some books more than others?  What are your favorite books to read to your LO?
Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
PGAL: September 2010
AMA:

Re: Reading to baby

• I have mostly read the same books over and over.  Brown Cow, Brown Cow, What do You See? and Big Racing Car.  He seems to like both books -- though his favorite page is the white dog on a black background.

Pregnancy Ticker

AMA:

• I just pick random books off the shelf. LO seems to like playing with the pages more than listening to the story or even looking at pictures.
  • Loading the player...
  • We use random books. LO seems to like ones that have very brightly colored pictures.
  • We read to her yes, but not as often as we sing songs with hand gestures.  I plan on reading with her a lot, when she has the attention span for it, but right I'm going to stick with "the Green Grass Grows"  "Itsy Bitsy Spider" and a few others.  I feel like I'm doing more for her right now when we sing and dance together than when we sit and read.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I try to read to LO nightly I've joined a dr Seuss and baby Einstein book club so we read a lot of dr Seuss I also found a very nice illustrated grins fairy tales book on Amazon were working on that right now however she seems to like books with bright bold graphics the most
  • We read mostly Dr. Seuss. Our LO really likes the big pages and bright colors. Also any touchy-feely board books that he can "pet" he also seems to really like! :D

• We've been reading a different book every night. I was blessed by the fact my mom hoarded all my kids books away for 30 years so now I have them for DD. Lots of Dr. Suess, Bernstain Bears....To be honest, she doesn't care about the actual book. She turns her head to look at me and just stares at my face while I read!

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We read mostly board books or very short ones but try to switch it up. Right now he is more interested in trying to close the book but I'm working on it!
  • We read a bunch of books - my favorite are the indestructible books.  They can be washed and can't rip.  Mostly just pictures where you can make up the story. 
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Jen9608 said:
    We've been reading a different book every night. I was blessed by the fact my mom hoarded all my kids books away for 30 years so now I have them for DD. Lots of Dr. Suess, Bernstain Bears....To be honest, she doesn't care about the actual book. She turns her head to look at me and just stares at my face while I read!
    oooo i'm jealous your mom did this. that must be great for both you and LO!

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I read a variety of books to LO. I also don't think the actual book matters much to him but we have a big selection. MIL hosted my shower and put in a little note in the invites saying cards are nice but only read once but a book last (written nicer though).

DS seems to really like the touch and feel books. He has a few of then with different animals and certain parts of the animal has actual hair or wool. I used to take his hand to touch it. Now he will reach out on his own and even puts his hand flat on the fur and moves his hand around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Right now I read One Fish Two Fish (and randomly skip pages because it's super long and she has no idea I'm doing it), and On the Night That You Were Born which is my favorite!
  • I have been mostly sticking to board books at this point because my LO loves to reach out and touch the pages as we read. He loves anything with lots of color, but his favorites are definitely the Five Little Monkeys series. I don't know what it is about them, but he smiles and giggles at those books more than any others! His favorite is Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed; he actually squeals when we read that one! 
  • My husband reads to our little one every night and rotates through about 15 different books. He doesn't think the baby likes one more than another yet except....a new alphabet book we got from mom's group. He loves words that start with certain letters (especially "p" and "b") so he was cracking up when my husband read those pages.
  • We have been reading Sophie the Giraffe books ( Christmas gifts) & Hello Ninja they are all short board books and my LO's really seem to enjoy them especially one with peek a boo flap pages .
  • We have a fairly large collection of books for DS. We switch the books up and we read usually one longer one or 2 short ones. When he is really upset and crabby he snuggles with us while rocking and reading seems to relax him. His favorites are Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site(I love this one too! It's so cute!) and Cookies Week.
  • My LO has recently started to show more appreciation for being read to.  I love the cuddles.  I have one book that each page opens out even larger (trifold).  I love to watch his eyes move from left to right and back again looking at the pictures.  :)  Such fun!
    Pregnancy Ticker

AMA:

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"