December 2014 Moms
Options

Daycare

OMG it's freakin expensive.

At least we aren't eating out anymore, or go anywhere, so we will be saving a ton on food and gas!
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Daycare

• Options
  • Options
    Times 2 over here. Why am I even working!!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm curious - how much is daycare in your respective cities. In California where we live, it's $1200+. It boggles my mind. We're doing a nanny instead b/c that's like $1800 — so all things considered, it's crazy the two are so close in cost. 
  • Options
    Also in California (Orange Co.) We are going to a home day care that is $350 a week! Ouch! Good argument for OAD.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We don't like to take about daycare cost just makes me mad!! I'm in Connecticut and all the daycares in and around my town anywhere from $280-$340/wk
  • Options
    Wow, I'm in Texas. We use an in home daycare that is $150/week. I feel lucky!

DS1: 12/17/2014
    DS2: born sleeping at 26 weeks on 8/8/2016 due to chromosomal deletion
    Pregnant with baby 3 -  EDD 9/14/2017

• Options
    OAD? 
  • Options
    Illinois... Any where from $215 a week to $280. I decided to go back to work part time so we won't be sending my little one to daycare.
  • Options
    Greater DC area. We are paying $1350 a month for in home daycare. Daycare centers range from 1700 - $2200 a month. Nanny share would have likely been around $2000. We're going with the cheapest option and just hoping that doesn't translate to the cheapest care!
    BFP on 4.3.2014
    EDD 12.10.2014
    DS #1 born 12.16.2014 - He's perfect!

• Options
    OAD= One And Done
  • Options
    My LO starts daycare soon and its $1550 a month. Crazy!!!! I can't believe it!
  • Options
    Daycare around here is crazy expensive. Il after my son was born I became a stay at home mom because all but $100 of my paycheck would have gone to daycare. Wasn't worth it.....
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @egen78 - Are you also in California?! That's about what we're looking at here.
  • Options
    I also became a stay at home mom because day care is $300/week around here and after my checks I would have nothing left.
  • Options
    The cheapest daycare I toured and the one we went with is $280 a week. I toured others ranging up to $400 a week and some were so horrible I couldn't understand how they got people to put their children there let alone pay that much to do so.
  • Options
    What made them horrible? One I went to had us take off our shoes for the infant room. I was in flip flops so went barefoot, and the floor was super sticky. I can't imagine my baby crawling on that!

They also told us it was against the law for them to use cloth diapers. Uh, what? I think it was about $300/week.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    pengy16pengy16 member
    edited March 2015
    The one I found horrible was because the staff wasnt attentive to the kids. When we walked into the room there was a baby playing by the door which is where they kept the toys and nobody is watching him. Two babies were sitting at the table with chairs built in by themselves. Shortly after I got there they took them out as they were done eating (looked like they had been done before I walked in but they didnt bother til I showed up) and they just put them down on the floor where the toys were and walked away. There was a swing and bouncer for each child to have both to themselves and they had a baby unattended in a bouncer asleep.
    The others werent terrible but there was individual things I didnt like about them.
    At one while I waited I could hear and see the older kid classroom (mix of pre-school and school aged kids since it was summer time) teacher yelling at the kids and following them around screaming at them. I didnt have an issue with the baby room but I couldnt see staying there long-term.
    Another they were feeding the babies on a boppy pillow on the floor with the bottle propped up on the pillow. There was a teacher right there but I wasnt a fan of that method.
    All the places I toured either had us take off our shoes or wear the surgery booties. They said so we wouldn't bring germs into the baby room since they have little to no immune system which made sense to me.
  • Options
    Does anyone else feel discouraged about how much of their salary is going to childcare costs?? :( 
  • Options
    Here it's 7$ a day Quebec,Canada) We're very fortunate here otherwise I definitely would not be returning to work... 300 a week!? Holy crap
  • Options
    I just did the math - 40% of my salary goes to childcare; combined with my husband 20% of our household income goes to childcare. It's SO discouraging!! 
  • Options
    It's around $110 a day here at centres(australia).. The government rebates some of the cost but it's still crazy expensive. I'd literally be working just to have my child in care, so we figured I may as well stay at home for the moment.
  • Options
    $200-300 a week?! Holy crap!  :-O I'd have to stay home. 

$130 a week here in Mississippi. We love our daycare, my LO adores his teachers and it's a relatively small place so everyone knows each other as family. 
    Most of the ones I called I didn't even bother to call back and ask for a tour because I didn't even like them from a phone conversation. 
  • Options
    So jealous of you folks with reasonable childcare options! We pay $2800/month for a nanny. I love her to pieces but we'll likely have to do daycare next year. It's too darn expensive!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"