May 2015 Moms

Fetus weighing too much?

I got an ultrasound at 29 weeks and 2 days, my baby is measuring 3lbs and 7 oz. How much did your baby weight at this point? I'm worried she is getting too big.

Re: Fetus weighing too much?

• No personal experiences, but worst case scenario if baby gets too big they may want to induce if your pretty petite. Youd be amazed how much a woman's body can handle birth wise though. But that weight sounds about right for where you are honestly.

imageimage

BabyFruit Ticker 

• the approximate weight they give you at ultrasounds can be inaccurate.
    My sister was told she was going to have a 10 pounder and her son was just shy of 8lbs
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah these measurements are notoriously off. I wouldn't worry. Just make sure you're eating healthy and being as active as you feel comfortable with. 
  • Those can be off up to a whole pound...or more. That's a ton for a fetus. I wouldn't be concerned with it.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• I wouldn't worry. Im very petite, before pregnancy im 5ft 110lbs and I've vaginally delivered two 21 inch long 8+lb babies. I'm expecting my third in may, I'm currently 27 wks and he is already measuring big. Both previous pregnancies my dr's did suggest c-sections because of my petite frame and the large size of the babies but i refused and successfully delivered twice!
  • All babies are not created equal and will all measure differently. If your doc isn't concerned, I wouldn't be concerned.

Also want to echo what pp said... Those ultrasound measurements are more like guesstimates. Ultrasounds days before my first two were born put them both over 7 lbs, my daughter near 8 lbs- but both were born a smaller 6 lbs 6 oz!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Agreed if doc isn't concerned you shouldn't be either. The ultrasounds can often be off. Even if baby is big it's really nothing to worry about. You might waste a few newborn outfits but I can tell you from experience a big baby is nothing to fear. My oldest was 10.6 and 21 inches at 39 weeks. He eventually grew into himself and at 5 he's completely average and in normal percentiles for both hight and weight. Sometimes even for no medical reason babies can be big. I didn't have GD nor did I gain tons of weight he was just a big guy. Don't stress about it. It will be fine regardless
  • I have come to realize they are usually just educated guesses. I was induced early for my daughter because she "measured" almost 10 pounds at 36 weeks, well at 39 weeks she was only 21 1/2 inches long and weighed 8 lbs 4 oz. Her older brother? They measured him at 38 weeks, and he was only 3-4 pounds (i only had 2 vessel cords which meant he was getting about 50% of the nutrients and "food" normal babies get)----he was born a week later weighing 8 lbs 8.6 oz and was 23 inches long. This baby measured 2 weeks ahead at my last ultrasound. I have yet to see a case that they have gotten 100% accurate. I think you are okay :)
  • I had an ultrasound on Friday and I was told baby is measuring 5 days ahead and is weighing in at 3lb 2oz (Today I'm 29-5). They just said he's a big boy and didn't discuss anything further with me. Unless your dr is worried, I wouldn't either.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"