Pregnant after 35
Options

Videos instead of birth/lactation/baby care classes?

Hi all,

As the big day approaches, I'm a bit panicked I may not have enough time in the next 11 weeks to get to all the classes I'd like to cover (baby care/CPR, lactation and birthing), so I've been trying to look for good videos to watch online.

Do you have any favorites? It would be great if we could compile a list of reliable ones. I'll add things to this thread as I come across them too.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Videos instead of birth/lactation/baby care classes?

• Options
    My lactation instructor recommended these videos.  I haven't checked them out myself, sorry.  But I have found her other recommendations to be very useful.

General latch advice and problem solving:

For hand expressing:

On maximizing milk production:

Hope they help :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks @NeonNoon! I'll definitely check these out.
  • Options
    I don't have any specific recommendations, but I do know that in my area, most of the birthing classes include infant CPR and basic lactation info.  There are also lactation consultants available at the hospital to help after delivery.  If things where you live are similar to that, you may not need extra classes and/or videos.  Best wishes sorting it all out!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mdogan29mdogan29 member
    edited February 2015
    We took as many free classes as we could - breastfeeding, sleeping, basic care, car seat safety, etc. and then we did infant CPR class and then our birth class through the hospital.

My DH was very interested in this video series and downloaded all of them for us - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunstan_Baby_Language.

Here's the one of the videos :

Hmm... I didn't realize they weren't free... :-S (maybe you can find the rest for free, if interested)

----
    ME: 40, DH: 44, stopped BCPS 1/2013, TTC #1 2/2013, AMH 0.4, started acupuncture: 7/2013,
    BFP: 10/07/2013; MC 10/15/2013 @ 7 wks (natural), focused on health issues for 7 months.
    TTC again: 6/2014, 2nd round Letrozole, BFP 7/7/2014!!! --- EDD 3/18/2015!!! DS born 3/13/2015
  • Options
    well i think breastfeeding is something you really need to be experiencing to really "get it".  I really don't think videos or even a class beforehand will really do much for you other than boost your confidence in the sense that you go into it feeling you did your "homework".  Will there be a lactation consultant at your hospital everyday of your stay?  That is where you will receive the best and most useful help and direction once you give birth, in my opinion. 

a cpr class is something you really should do hands on, I would say. 

an infant care class probably isn't necessary for most people.  As long as you have babysat or been around small children, you probably know it all already.  Plus mommy instinct is pretty strong.  If there is anything you are not sure on, ask your hospital nurses while there and the pediatrician should be there everyday to check your baby and they will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

For birthing my best advice is this:  Relax into your contractions.  Do not stiffen up or get stressed with each.  Instead when a contraction starts make yourself go limp.  Feel as if you are melting into your contraction as they grow and peak, making yourself limper and more relaxed from head to toe. 

Also, welcome each contraction because it makes you one closer to the end!  Don't get upset that they are getting stronger and harder and longer...instead be glad...you are getting nearer to done! 

When pushing, get your upper body as upright as possible if you are required to be lying down, semi upright.  (If not definately go for a squatting position).  Drop your head and chin as close to your abdomen as possible touching your chest with your chin.  your face should not be squinted, red, stressed at all.  If it is you are wasting efforts where it will do no good (in your face) and you will break blood vessels that will make you red splotted for days.  Instead push through your belly and downward into your bottom. basically like you were trying to poop!  Keeping your head tucked really helps isolate the correct muscles.  Give it your all!  Push hard then try to push even harder and harder.  The more you give it the quicker you will be done!

Other than that, you will be instructed by the dr and nurses what to do and when. 
  • Options
    cneiding my aunt told me this weekend that pushing is like pooping a pumpkin, lol.  Um, okay.  Guess I will remember that when the time comes. :)
  • Options
    @cneiding‌ - what *wonderful* advice. Thanks for it!
  • Options
    Breastfeeding: Ameda has lots of good info about breastfeeding and videos. Though I highly recommend calling/visiting a Lactation Consultant at the first sign of any breastfeeding challenges or concerns.
    https://www.ameda.com/healthcare-professionals/videos

Childbirth: I never took a class, but I rented 'Laugh and Learn about Childbirth' from the library, I thought it was helpful. I like this video for breathing techniques during labor. (I had medfree/natural births and relied on these breathing techniques to get through contractions)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jiibODrgk2c

• Options
    NeonNoon said:
    My lactation instructor recommended these videos.  I haven't checked them out myself, sorry.  But I have found her other recommendations to be very useful.

General latch advice and problem solving:

For hand expressing:

On maximizing milk production:

Hope they help :)
    The hand expression class here is great. My one baby could not latch and I was never effective at pumping. I worked FT and hand expressed all her milk. This was the best video I found. It took practice, but my hands were better than a pump and more convenient.
  • Options
    I found it helpful to search and watch Hypnobirthing videos on YouTube. Watching successful use of the techniques I was studying really gave me a positive outlook, and we know from research that influences outcomes. I'm sure there are videos of other techniques out there, too.
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    SO many videos and tips, this is great! Thank you all. We are still living out of random hotels because our apartment's mold problem hasn't been fixed, so I haven't had a lot of time to watch the videos, but I definitely will this weekend.  Keep them coming. :) 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"