Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

13 and 1/2 month old not pointing

Hello everyone!

I have a 13 and 1/2 month DS who is still not pointing to things far off. He indicates he wants stuff far off by reaching for it, but will not point. He will point to things up close (things he can physically touch). I took him for an early evaluation and they said he was behind socially, and they would reevaluate him at 15 months. We are now going to their play groups as well. He waves, sometimes blows kisses, and claps. He says "mama", "dada", and "dat" (that?). Sometimes I think he says hey. His waves aren't always in response to someone coming or going or to a person at all. He has great eye contact and smiles ALOT. He still is not 100% walking either. He can take 4-5 steps by himself without falling. What do you think? I am so terrified he may be autistic but the only major problem is that he does not point and he is not talking much. He is not a big fan of books either. Thanks so much for reading this! 

Re: 13 and 1/2 month old not pointing

• Options
    Everything I have read tells me that every baby will develop at a different pace than others. Its sounds like he is doing most of the stuff he should be. If pointing is the only thing you are really concerned about Id try not to worry about it too much, especially since he points to things up close. Keep demonstrating the behavior you want to see him use and he will eventually pick up on it. Wait until the 15 month check up and see what the Dr says then. I know its super tough but try not to stress too much a bout it. Good luck!
  • Options
    Your DS is more socially advanced than both my DD and DS were at that age and IMHO my kids are normal (enough).  My kids excelled in gross and fine physical motor skills and lagged in social skills (including speech). DD (like DH) moreso than DS (like me). An example:  My DS claps mostly b/c others clap - he looks around to see if someone is watching; my DD claps mostly to keep a rhythm - she looks around for something to do.  Different personalities for sure.  But I don't worry (much), my DH is a fine individual, compassionately runs his own business and I suspect my DD will as well.  On the other hand, my sister see signs of Asperger's in her 10-yo (and perhaps herself?).  I have a co-worker who has diagnosed himself with Asperger's (I tend to agree).  If such is the case, it's good to be aware and have skills to compensate, like with any aspect of being human.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    greyt00greyt00 member
    edited February 2015
    When DS2 turned 13 months old, he did not point or wave. He said a few words (hi, bye) but didn't babble much. He signed "more", though. Anyway, his older brother (DS1) had just been diagnosed with autism at this time, so you can imagine how terrified I was. DS2 finally waved for the first time at 13 months and 10 days (I have a lot of notes, LOL).  He pointed for the first time 10 days after that, but he was copying me. Still, I tried for months and months to get DS1 to wave and point and got nowhere. He would NOT copy us. DS1 finally started doing it after several months of ABA therapy. Even now his wave is still sort of robotic. DS2's is natural.

DS2 is 2.5 now. He was late to point and wave but I really don't think he is on the spectrum (for many reasons). He's not out of the woods but right now I am not very concerned. I just wanted to give you an example of a late pointer whose development is mostly on par. His speech is excellent and he has good social skills. He's been evaluated twice by ECI (I'm paranoid) and is doing well. I think he is behind in gross motor skills, but if he's going to be behind in something, I think that's what I'd prefer!  FWIW, DS2 is less interested in books than DS1, and was a lot less interested in books than DS1 when he was at your son's age. DS2 became more interested later.

I know those red flag lists can be scary. Personally, I hated them when I was going through my scare. I'd give this a little more time unless you start to see other concerning behavior, or lack of other behavior/skills that you should see. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"