High-Risk Pregnancy

Successful Pregnancy After Placental Abruption and Loss

On September 2, 2014, at 40+ weeks pregnant, I suffered a placenta abruption when my water broke.  I had the perfect pregnancy up until that moment. No risk factors.  By the time we got to an appropriate hospital, I was in the OR in minutes. Our sweet baby boy Patrick was born and immediately taken to the NICU. They worked on him for over 2 hours, but unfortunately he had been without oxygen for too long. He passed away in our arms just 3 short hours after being born. 

He was our first, and while I struggle with whether or not I am emotionally ready to start trying again, we are coming up on the time where our doctors said I would be physically ready to start again. I know that the nerves are going to be there regardless. But I would love to hear success stories from others who suffered an abruption and went on to have more. 

Re: Successful Pregnancy After Placental Abruption and Loss

• I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my daughter at 39 wks to placental abruption in April 2013. We started trying about 3 months after her loss as I have a history of infertility so wasn't sure how long it would take. I felt guilty at the time for trying for another as I felt I owed it to my daughter to wait but the truth is that I don't think any amount of time would have really made me ready. It took just over 18 months to fall pregnant again and every day of this pregnancy has been a stressful one - scared that it will happen again. But we have faith and the doctors are monitoring us closely and hope to welcome our daughter in June. I haven't had my rainbow baby yet so haven't answered your question but I wish you all the best. It won't be an easy pregnancy next time round as the stress will be there but you can do it! I'm just past half way now and am thankful for every day that passes and gets us closer to a safe arrival
  • I am so sorry for your loss, and so happy you are carrying your rainbow. If you don't mind, I would love to hear from you after you have your new little one at home. I don't doubt that everything will go perfect, but it will definitely be nice to actually hear it. jillmkane@gmail.com. Best wishes for a safe and healthy pregnancy and deliver! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"