Babies on the Brain
Options

FMLA Question

My question is that when I start working somewhere where I am eligible for FMLA, can I get pregnant anytime before my required year for the unpaid leave and still be eligible? Or must I work there for a full year, and then I can try to get pregnant. I've tried to search this online but it's difficult to word for results.

Re: FMLA Question

• Options
    You can get pregnant before the year is up, but you aren't elgible to take FMLA time until that first anniversary. So, while you can use FMLA time for doctor's appointments, you wouldn't be able to before the one year anniversary. If your baby comes early or you get pregnant in the first 3 months of work, then FMLA won't cover you because the baby would be here before the one year mark.

Personal experience, I started a new job beginning of Sept 2011. I got pregnant early Dec that year with an expected due date of Aug 30 2012. Because that was before my first anniversary, FMLA wouldn't cover me (and bonus, baby came a week early). Luckily for me, I work for a smaller company who hadn't actually had a pregnant employee in probably 20 years, so they worked with me and I had no issues with taking the time, but technically I wasn't covered.
  • Options
    Thank you for the response. I graduate in May and my husband and I were thinking about trying later this year/early next year, but I was not sure if I needed to be at my job a full year before we started trying or what. But thank you :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    From my understanding you can get pregnant prior to the year, but you must be employed for a year prior to giving birth.
    Also factor in vacation and sick time...
    Let's say you are there for a year, you won't have much time off accrued...
    You'll get the six weeks, but that's it.
    You'll probably have to take time off for future dr. Appointments, etc.
    Something to factor in.

Also, look into short term disability.
  • Options
    Also remember that FMLA only applies to state and federal employees or private sector employers that employ at least 50 employees. You should also research whether your state has a pregnancy disability act which may provide for accommodations. 

**Triggers**

Me: 32  DH: 35  Married 10/4/14

TTC  #1 May 2015 BFP: July 21, 2015  Stillborn January 8, 2016

TTC #2 April 2016 BFP: June 17, 2016

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Girl Shih-Tzu and Baby Boy Boston are my furbabies

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"