May 2015 Moms
Options

Delayed Cord Clamping...

Has anyone heard of this before?! Or is anyone planning on doing this?!
Apparently it is meant to help give the baby the best start in life once the placenta has been detatched..
What's everyone's thoughts?!

Re: Delayed Cord Clamping...

• Options
    There was a thread a few weeks ago discussing this. If you're on mobile, you can search it by going all the way to the bottom of the birth club page :)
  • Options
    It's not as beneficial in full term babies from what I recall, it can lead to increase risk for jaundice.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Standard practice in most hospitals now. It's been around for a while.
  • Options
    I've read that it's beneficial for premies to get the extra iron, but for term babies it can lead to jaundice. 
  • Options
    It's a common practice today, most doctors, midwives and hospitals do it. If yours doesn't routinely I would be worried. I included it in my birth plan for safe measure, even though my midwife assured me that it's part of the hospital's policy.

• Options
    I don't think it is common practice. I've only heard of 1 or 2 people actually doing it & they had to specifically ask for it to be done..
  • Options
    It's common practice for preterm babies but not term ones.
  • Options
    Where I live & the hospital I am going to, it's not. I spoke to the midwives on Wednesday at my appt..
  • Options
    This was also a new concept for me as I'm a FTM. I asked my Dr about it and they said it's standard practice for them to delay for a few mins while we have immediate skin to skin contact. ☺ glad I don't have to feel like a crazed birth plan Nazi and specifically request it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"