September 2014 Moms

So distracted while nursing!

My little girl is 4.5 months old and lately she's been SO distracted while nursing during the day. She'll stop every two minutes to look at me and smile, look for dad,try to sit up, etc! We had it down to 20 mins and now we're back up to 40 because she dawdles and takes forever!

Anyone else experiencing this? Any ideas or solutions?

Re: So distracted while nursing!

• DS is around the same age and it's not always this way but yes sometimes he get super distracted. I don't mean to give bad news but I hear it only gets worse as they get more curious.

Suggestions: Try feeding LO in a room away from people and distractions. I know not always possible. Have you tried a nursing cover to limit the view?

I'm SAH so not normally on a time line to feed DS but he does always seem the most distracted when we have to leave and be somewhere. I swear he knows lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're having the same issue with our LO. I try to re-feeding him 30 mins later.
  • Loading the player...
  • Same here. Ds will be 5 mo next week and trying to get him to nurse without looking around every two seconds is a task. He is all over the place these days.
  • I second limiting distractions or trying a cover.

what about focusing that distraction deliberately? try wearing a chunky or exciting necklace that LO can stare at and grip while still eating.

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My little boy is about the same age (will be 5 months on Feb 28th). 2 weeks ago he stopped nursing, he refuses to do it unless it's right before bed after he has had a bottle (so basically comfort nursing) We have moved to exclusively bottle feeding. I pumped and just give him the milk in a bottle. Has been seeming to work but it was frustrating & disappointing that he didn't want to nurse anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Ivorytower2Ivorytower2 member
    edited February 2015
    @jdurstica‌ I'm sorry, that does sound frustrating. We went through something similar a few months ago. I just kept feeding her through it as much as possible and she was fine again 2-3 days later. Hopefully for you its just a phase. You can try to google nursing strike. LC said it could be due to teething or a growth spurt.
  • Nursing beads have helped! They give my DD something to play with.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"