May 2015 Moms
Options

shower question

nursej519nursej519 member
edited February 2015 in May 2015 Moms
To start, I did post this originally on the shower board but looking through other posts.. It doesn't appear to be a very active board as of late..

Will children be at your shower? I am having both a "family shower" and a "friends shower". My husband and I both come from large families and have a ton of nieces and nephews.. In the past, the few showers I have been to were female only (including kids, so nieces invited, nephews not). Is this pretty standard? Also, would it be wrong to not have kids at my "friends shower"? Only a couple of my friends have kids and I think it might be better to have that one be adults only.

The host of each has left the guest list up to me, but I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings...

Re: shower question

• Options
    saric83saric83 member
    edited February 2015
    We are not having kiddos at either of my showers.  They're both really large groups with just the adults, so I didn't want to put that space (and/or expense) burden on the hosts. 

If we were including kids, I wouldn't specifically exclude the boys, but all of the ones in my circle are under six.  

But in general, as with any event where kids are excluded, just keep in mind that your friends with kids may not be able to (or want to) get a sitter or something, which means they won't attend.  So as long as you're okay with that, I think it's totally fine to have no kids. 
  • Options
    We are having a co-ed shower with family and friends. I have two stepdaughters that we want there, so it's only appropriate to include other kids on the guest list. The group that will be there is our usual crowd for birthdays and holiday parties, so it's pretty normal for us.
    Newest blog post 4/23/15
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We had a co-ed family only shower this weekend. Nieces and nephews were invited so we had 4 kids under the age of 10.

We will have a female only shower in the summer. We are inviting the girls and any baby boys (ie. Those young enough that their moms aren't ready to leave them or are still breast feeding). I know my friends will be responsible for their own kids so I'm not concerned. And the older kids will probably want to help open gifts which is fine with me.
  • Options
    I'm doing a co-Ed shower with adults only. We are including yard games, some which include alcohol so we are keeping it of age. Though I won't have a problem with anyone with young babies bringing them. Just don't want to have to worry about keeping an eye an any youngsters. But it's your shower. Do what makes u comfortable and happy.
  • Options
    I find the no kid thing to be funny, as the mother to be is being "showered" because she is having one...

Whatever floats your boat I guess.
  • Options
    tdart14 said:
    I find the no kid thing to be funny, as the mother to be is being "showered" because she is having one... Whatever floats your boat I guess.
    I get what you mean, but hosting a whole bunch of children isn't necessary to welcome someone into motherhood.  At my friends shower, it is 24 adults who are invited, and if you include their kids, that's 32 little ones under the age of five.  That's a LOT to ask of the hosts to have that many children in their house. 
  • Options
    I didn't say antino, some kids came and honestly they were a ball! They played and gave everyone something to talk about ;)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I am doing one big shower, kids invited (this will be mostly younger female cousins and my younger sisters...we have a big, age diverse family!!).
    For previous showers with my family, kids tend to disappear to play in a separate area during most of the party; they have a great time playing together and love being involved in the "big girl" day!
    The girls who are old enough like to play games with us, most are age appropriate for them. We usually put together "kid prizes" for them (baby bottle filled with M&Ms, etc).
  • Options
    I'm having a girlie shower with the ladies while DH is having a BBQ with the fellas. I could care less if people bring their kids. I love 'em! My nieces and nephews are all invited, and I really want it to be a family affair. After the ladies are done they've all been told they're welcome to head to our place for a BBQ with the guys. Kids are more than invited as well. Our place isn't big. It's tiny, but.. I still don't want anyone to feel left out. I think it all depends on what you want for your shower. I want it to be full of family and that definitely includes my nieces and nephews and friends kids. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    omg i LOVE this idea!!!  ^:)^
  • Options
    there will be kids at my shower. its in the basement of my church so there is plenty of room. Also my shower will mostly be the women in my family and a few close friends so if they couldnt bring their kids they probably would not be able to come. 
  • Options
    My sister addressed all the invites with "[last name] Ladies". Some people brought their sons too. I had an adult only wedding but I don't think that is necessary for a shower, unless it is a night time cocktail party.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

• Options
    My shower is for the "girls only", my dh is having a diaper party for the guys ( they are popular around here and it was all my brothers idea) the kids are invited to the shower, most are only bringing their daughters ( the boys dont have an interest in coming ). The space is large and there is a playground right outside so I'm sure they will keep themselves busy!
  • Options
    I just found out there will be approximately 120 ppl at my 'baby shower' It includes men, women and children. (It's being hosted outside at a park.) Most of the ppl will be in-laws, both sides of the spouses family. I keep saying it's more of a baby party than a shower! But I guess that's what you get when you marry a Cuban!!!
  • Options
    I'm having one shower with men and women (invited family, friends, and work colleagues). I'm fine if they want to bring kids, but noone has even mentioned it so far. All are welcome, lol.
    BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"