January 2015 Moms

Nervous about Dads return to work

My son was born January 31st 2015. He is a little man 5 lbs 9.5 ounces. 19 inches long. I'm wondering how you new moms handle things when dad is away at work? My husband goes back to work next week and I'm scared I can't do this alone. I have such a good little boy too. My son also has a doctors appointment the week my husband goes back to work and I'm nervous to go by myself. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

Re: Nervous about Dads return to work

• allie8454allie8454 member
    edited February 2015
    I was also really nervous when my husband went back to work. We worked out a kind of schedule where I will be up most of the night with the baby so he can sleep and since I am up breastfeeding every 2 hours anyways. At 4am I wake him and hand off the baby so I can get a few solid hours of sleep before he goes to work. This routine has worked pretty well and I also get in some naps during the day while baby sleeps.
    Some other things I found helpful were to recruit friends/family to help out in any way - ie hold him while I napped, bring over food, let me shower, do laundry ect. I also make sure to have snacks and meals on hand that require little to no prep and can be eaten while standing and holding the baby since I was finding myself missing meals and not eating or drinking all day. I also found going to local breastfeeding/new mom support groups helpful so I could get out of the house and connect with other people.
    I think the major take aways are to accept help when it's offered, don't be afraid to ask for help, and have some kind of plan with your husband so you can take care of yourself and the baby. I know it seems scary but you can do it!
    Good luck!
  • I'm nervous too! My DH goes back to work Tuesday. This is all great advice.
  • Loading the player...
  • You should go out by yourself while he's off work to make sure it goes smoothly. I was nervous too, and I've had PPD pretty bad, but thankful my friends have been visiting and I'm doing alright.

Janelle & TK

Baby #1
    EDD 1-28-15

• I hired a postpartum doula to cook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"