May 2015 Moms
Options

Hate that my belly is a "hand magnet"

why do people feel the need to touch or rub your bump?  Especially complete strangers.  I mean, yeah ok, I get it....they're in "awww", but um, NO.  It's awkward & sometimes embarrassing. 
I sometimes feel like saying, "you're not touching the baby dear, you're touching me, so please stop", but I'm always respectful & try to keep my smile from turning into a scowl lol 
....just thought I'd share that with you all lol 

Re: Hate that my belly is a "hand magnet"

• Options
    I totally get what you mean OP. It seems like my close friends who I really wouldn't mind if they touched my belly are much more hesitant, but complete strangers think my belly is all theirs!

I had a co-worker come up from behind me and rub my belly while I was talking to another staff member. I hardly know this co-worker and she stood behind me with her arm wrapped around my waist rubbing my belly for a good minute or two. It was so awkward. I hate confrontation so I really just did NOT know what to say.

I also had a patient's wife (I work in a hospital) rub my belly a few times. She's a sweet 80 year old so I really don't know how to tell her that I find it uncomfortable.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's just so awkward. It's still your stomach. It's still really weird. I never really know what to do when it happens.
  • Options
    I never have had any qualms about pushing their hands away and explaining my rule: "if you didn't put baby there, live in there, or help my baby get out of there- Hands Off!"

I don't feel that rude, as touching a stranger is probably more rude. Any outraged people can blame my hormones as an excuse. Most family, friends, coworkers laugh it off and say thanks for letting them know. This is baby #3, and I stand by that policy.

The weirdest though, is when my students want to cop a feel... They're 16. Gross. Back away..., back away....

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    blankenbakerhblankenbakerh member
    edited February 2015
    I hate this! Although I have no problem telling them to please not touch me. I even feel weird when family does it. While I might allow close family or friends to touch, they all know I am weird about it so they typically don't do it at all or give me a quick pat/rub. I am just not an overly affectionate person in general with the exception of my DH and kids. If a stranger even tries to do it, I back up a little and tell them I don't feel comfortable with people doing that. Usually people understand. Most people I have encountered ask first thankfully.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Thank GOD a stranger never rubbed my belly. That shit wouldn't be flying. DH's hands, my parents and his parents hands are the only hands touching my stomach. Does feel awkward still when his parents grab and pinch and tickle it though.
  • Options
    I only really like my DH to touch my belly. Close friends of mine don't really do it often, but one girl likes to and for the first time I let her yesterday. 

I wish my parents were living close enough to feel my belly...they feel like they have missed out on so much.
  • Options
    Luckily for me, the only person who's touched my belly ( besides DH and medical staff) is my MIL. I'm a hands off kind of person, and even my own mother would know enough to ask first (which she hasn't). However, at Christmas my MIL copped a feel more than once, and it really felt like an invasion of my privacy. My FIL and MIL are visiting this weekend, and I'm not quite sure how to keep her hands off of me. She loves to self victimize, and I know she'd take any request to back off personally. I hope I can keep my cool, because I've been really uncomfortable lately and may just tell her to back the eff off :)
  • Options
    I've had so many people touch my belly and it's so awkward. I only like my husband touching it, he will talk to the baby and then the baby starts kicking like crazy. It's so cute!
    My MIL is coming to visit next month and all she talks about is getting to feel the baby kick.. She's creepily obsessed with getting to feel it. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to awkwardly tell her to stop touching my belly constantly, I'll let you know when he is kicking heh.
    Not looking forward to that...
  • Options
    So annoying! I work as a waitress & almost every shift I have that one table who reaches out and rubs my belly and asks how far along I am. The first time I was so shocked I literally knocked her hand down and said "I am here to serve you, now what would you like to drink?" Then SHE looked offended! WHAT?! My manager was even upset with me, but who just touches random people?! I don't get it. Maybe I just have personal space issues...
  • Options
    Same problem i don't like people touching me especially my MIL i on the othwr hand do push people's hands away its my body and if I don't want anyone touching me I don't let them .
  • Options
    This may sound rude, but I don't think it's any moreso than when strangers do it to me.  If someone touches my belly that I'm not comfortable with, I just reach out and touch theirs too.  That usually weirds them out enough to get the hint.  I'm a pretty physically affectionate person, so I don't mind if friends/family touch me, just not total strangers.

The one that bothers me is when my MIL puts her face down there and talks to him.
    TTC: 8/11/14
    BFP: 8/25/14
    EDD: 5/04/15
  • Options
    It drives me crazy too! Most people are considerate enough to not to do it, but I went to a party last weekend and like three people copped a feel. Worst of all is my mom... I know it seems harsh, but she lives about 1,500 miles away and every time we video chat, she asks me over and over again to lift up my shirt so she can see my belly. Ughhhhhhhhh it makes me so uncomfortable! I don't want anyone except DH gawking at my bare belly!
  • Options
    Apparently I am a pretty u approachable person. No one has ever just randomly touched me. thank goodness. All the stories sound crazy. Just my mom and husband touch my belly sometimes. But Even my mom warns me and apologizes if she does it too long. Lol. I am sure people just know by my resting bitch face that I will hit them if they touch me. People do stare at my belly. Sometimes they have a sweet look on their face. The kids have a curious look on their face. It's a little weird to me.
  • Options
    lmao!!!!!! that's the funniest thing to do ever lol i swear i'm gonna start doing this lol omg :))
  • Options
    This older woman touched my belly at the store today and told me I need to take more vitamins because I was tiny.

I said, "Thank you, Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman." I then proceeded to touch her belly. She mumbled something about manners and walked off. lol
  • Options
    I was blessed with resting bitch face so not only have I not had to deal with strangers touching me (yet) but not even my family will touch my belly, even when I say they can. I grabbed my sister's hand so she could feel the baby kicking and she had such a look of fear in her eyes I had to let her go. For some reason though people think its ok to poke my feet when they get swollen. I overheard a little boy tell his mommy "That lady has Shrek feet."
  • Options
    This is one of the funniest things about this pregnancy for me. I am generally a pretty hands off kind of person - don't even really like cuddling - but I actually don't care when people touch my belly. I think that it feels so "not me" at this point that I find it as fascinating as they do. Strange. I would never have thought I'd be as easy going about it as I am.
  • Options

Apparently I am a pretty unapproachable person. No one has ever just randomly touched me. thank goodness. All the stories sound crazy.

I am sure people just know by my resting bitch face that I will hit them if they touch me.

Haha this is so me! Not one person has gone to touch or has even asked to touch my belly the entire pregnancy. Even my mom, which seems odd for her. Only H has felt the baby move. And one drunk relative at my baby shower did ask to feel, but I don't feel that counts much lol

I'd be super weirded out if a random stranger came up and starting feeling up my belly though. I could never imagine doing that to someone. Like ew.
  • Options
    I slapped the only stranger that touched my belly just last week. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Is it too much to ask for a little common courtesy?! At least ask first!!!
  • Options
    @sailaplay I'm lurking from June 15 but I'm in the same boat! Normally I'm super hands off, don't cuddle and all that crap, but I haven't minded any of my family, friends or co-workers touching my belly. Granted, I think I would probably still lose it if a stranger touched me, but at this point who knows?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"