May 2015 Moms
Options

Buying Baby Clothes Sizing

ditzy007ditzy007 member
edited February 2015 in May 2015 Moms
Ok first things first. Everyone has told me to not buy many baby clothes as I will get them as gifts blah blah blah, or they will wear nothing but onesies for the first 6 months. Well I know this is all probably true, but as this is my first baby, it's a girl and I'm buying her cute outfits end of story. ☺️
So I'm due mid May and buying clothes for summer, is 3 months a reasonable bet or go straight for 6? We also live in a tiny apartment so I'm not trying to buy for the future and don't want to end up with summer dresses fitting her in October when it's freezing already in New England!
Thank you thank you!

Re: Buying Baby Clothes Sizing

• Options
    Haha. I got so mad when everyone kept telling me not to buy clothes. I've been given hand me downs from there babies but most were donated because I'm opposite season. It's like you can't go shopping till after your shower and it kinda becomes a killjoy when you look at things but your brain says no you can't. You can't send a kid into a candy store without getting something. Lol that being said I cautiously bought clothes but I mostly got older outfits hoping he won't grow like a weed. My friends son is 5 months and wearing 12 month clothes......poor girl. Also bought some baby gear on clearance because everyone isn't going to give you the goods lol shop wisely.
  • Options
    My post got cut off for some reason but yes it's the size thing!! Making me crazy. My mother in law bought pjs for next winter in size 18 months. She'll barely be 8 months! Am I missing something?!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My kiddos were always true to size but some are larger or smaller, we did buy some really good deals for next winter but we got 9-12 months, 18 months seems way too large
  • Options
    It does depend a lot of brand. I liked Carter's stuff because it seemed true to size for my DS. It was also practical stuff as well.
    6 month stuff may be too big for summer. But that also depends on how they grow. My DS stayed in 3 month stuff for awhile but then quickly went through 6 month clothes.

I hate to tell you that it really depends on a lot of factors. But a few things but don't go overboard.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know what you mean, it's impossible not to buy cute little baby clothes! Sure, you'll get clothes at your baby shower, but I think it's reasonable to pick out *some* stuff at least.

This is my second and he's opposite sex so I've bought some clothes for him at after Christmas sales. Most kids will fit into their month range. Newborn for the first month, 3 month through August, 6 month for August to November, 9 month November to February, 12 month for February to May. I plan to do mostly onesies for 0-3 month, layering for 6 month, warm for 9 and 12 month.

As PP said, it also depends on the brand - Mini Boden runs big and Gerber onesies run small. Carters, Oshkosh, Gymboree, Janie and Jack, Gap, Old Navy, Crazy 8, tucker & Tate, Tea Collection, and Hanna Andersson all run true to size in my experience.

Have fun!
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I want to know how much size 0000 you buy a newborn as I've heard they don't wear it for long but what's not long? Do you get like a weeks worth or more or less so confusing :-/
  • Options
    My son has stayed pretty true to size, surprisingly. But, some babies don't even fit into newborn clothes when they are born. He wore newborn clothing for about 3-4 weeks. I would get 0-3/3months clothes for summer (june, July, August) I would think that's safe. Gerber does run really small though! Get 6 month if you are getting Gerber stuff. 
    Married 6-1-13
    Sebastian 3-11-14
    Simon 5-2-15
    Baby #3 Due 9-29-16
  • Options
    I am also due mid May and it is a girl. My first daughter fit newborn clothes for prob 1.5 months she was around 7lbs at birth. And then could also wear 0-3 longer than 3 months. I have only bought summer 0-3 maybe a few carters pants and onsie sets. My newborn stuff is warmer because May and June can be iffy where I live. I plan on getting most 3-6 stuff for fall/winter. Clothes can be hard to plan ahead for. Hope this helped some.
  • Options
    I am buying mostly 0-3 month stuff since he will be a summer baby. We have a couple 3-6 month outfits and a newborn coming home outfit. You won't no your babies size for sure until they are born. When I had my first we stocked up and spent way to much. She ended up fitting in preemie clothes for a while and we had nothing. Stay away from to many newborn sizes since they grow out of them so fast. I would recommend 0-3 or just 3 month stuff and worry about the rest when the time comes. Unless you see a good deal of course. Have fun with your baby girl.....there is so many cute things.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I know a 15 month old that wears 2T clothing and a 6 month old that wears 3 month clothing. It really depends on your child. I have been buying some "season appropriate" clothes for my little girl but only up to size 9 months. I figure anything larger would be too far out and I'll never know how big or small she will be. I live in Michigan but summer dresses don't scare me if I buy them the wrong size. You can always pair it with some thick tights and a sweater for when it gets chilly. Obviously I don't plan to put her in dresses mid winter, but if it happens, it happens. I have hit a lot of clearance racks recently!
  • Options
    DD was born 5 lbs 8 ozs so she wore newborn for a month or two and was true to size after that until after a year. She's 16 mos now and wearing some 18 mos and some 24. She caught up quickly and is in the 70+ % for weight and height.

My friends baby was over 7 lbs at birth and he wore newborn for a month, which surprised me.

Don't worry too much about summer dresses. I bought an insane amount of clothes for dd not knowing what size she would be. I just put a long sleeved onesie and leggings or jeggings underneath and it was instant winter.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Franco Paul born 6/4/15 at 39 weeks.  Mila Francesca born 10/19/13 at 37 weeks.  Both born via C-Section after 6 years of fertility treatments, disappointments and losses. Love them!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"