August 2015 Moms

Heart murmur?

Hi:)
Just got back from my 12 week checkup and my Dr mentioned it sounded like I had a heart murmur which I've never had problems before. After looking online, it seems it can be caused my pregnancy. Kind of made me a little nervous since I'm very active and want to continue to be. Anyone else heard of this? Thanks :)

Re: Heart murmur?

• Thanks. He said they would follow up but to continue life as normal. I didn't think much of it because he didn't seem concerned but when I left I thought more about it. Appreciate your reply!
  • I have had one my whole life (as does my whole family). I always put it on my medical history, but it has never once been a problem. Every now and then I get palpatations, more so when I am pregnant due to thei increased bloodflow, but nothing my Dr is concerned about.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've had one with each of my two pregnancies and probably will with this one, too. Mine went away shortly after delivery when my blood volume went back to normal. You can always ask to be referred to a cardiologist for a check up if it makes you feel better. I did with my first and I was relieved after our meeting.
  • Apparently I have one too, but I didn't find out till a doctor made a comment in passing about it when I was like 26. It was a side comment that I just happened to pick up on and was like, what? Apparently murmurs are pretty common and can be more common in pregnancy. I'm sure your doctor will monitor it and let you know if you need to do anything different.
  • I have one, it's never been an issue. I've had 2 echos, nobody is concerned.
  • Thank you!!! I was ok when I left the appointment then my husband got me a little freaked out lol. I checked online and it seems that some people experience it just in pregnancy others have it their whole life and it's ok:) phew!
  • Thanks ladies. I feel better now :)
  • I have had a heart murmur since birth, and my past pregnancy the doctor heard it and had me go in for an Echocardiogram (I think that's the word? It's a full-on ultrasound of your heart). In case you have to get one, it's NOT scary at all, and actually very cool. Everything was totally fine for me. 
  • Thanks for the reassurance. He's making me go for the echocardiogram this week. :)
  • I'm going to the cardiologist march 4 because I told them my heart races after eating it's very
    Uncomfortable they said it's because of gerd but I didn't realize heart murmurs are common during pregnancy doc doesn't seem alarmed by what I told him though
  • Thinking of you. Let me know how your appointment goes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"