May 2015 Moms

Fat..

jennilarkspurjennilarkspur member
edited February 2015 in May 2015 Moms
I've been super thin my whole life.  I never really ate that much pre-pregnancy.. usually just a small meal once a day.  I also used to smoke!  I took caffeine tablets, ephedrine, and ritalin for adhd and chronic fatigue!  Now that I have been pregnant, I'm off the stimulants, and I eat 3 to 5 times per day.  I have ballooned over these 26 weeks from 107 to 167!  That is 60 pounds!!  I swear I'm not eating cakes and pies and fried food.  OB is pissed.  I don't know what to do.
BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker image

Re: Fat..

• Im the same way. The ob doesn't really have a sensor either on this subject. Its irritating. I know.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited February 2015
    I quit smoking and my constant active life style since being pregnant and I've gained 50 lbs myself. I'm shocked my ob hasn't given me crap about it. I plan to be reunited with my iced Starbucks and sneak some nicotine in the future. You're not alone.

Me (28) DH (34) actively TTC since 2010

2011 dx by RE: Severe mfi- Treatment option: IVF w/ ICSI ( I declined the RE recommendation to use ds),  2012  IVF#1 w/ICSI long Lupron protocol + follistim + menopour.  Transferred 2 day 3 embys, ended in early m/c, 2013 IVF#2 w/ICSI bcp, lupron, & a lot of friggin follistim. Received a call the morning of transfer that they ceased, 2014  1/11/14 -cycle day 1, unmedicated AI w. DS.  AI #1 1.23.14, scheduled again for 1.25.14, & 1.27.14

My baby lives in my heart.  Juliette Marie 1/17/2008 - forever 

• Count me in too. I gain about 60 lbs with pregnancy but I lose it again after and so will you. Don't stress. But do breastfeed, it makes a difference.
  • jennilarkspurjennilarkspur member
    edited February 2015
    sailaplay said:
    Count me in too. I gain about 60 lbs with pregnancy but I lose it again after and so will you. Don't stress. But do breastfeed, it makes a difference.
    Absolutely plan to breastfeed!!
  • Your not fat your pregnant enjoy it then later after delivery and recovery just slowly start working out you will be fine
  • When I stopped smoking I gained weight too. I would not stress over it (which could possibly increase weight gain). Just continue to eat nutritional food and try to enjoy being pregnant!
  • How tall are you?  Seems like everyone said you were probably underweight to begin with.  If you are eating healthy things and trying to stay active it is probably your body just finding a more comfortable healthy weight.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I think you have a lot of factors working against you. You used to smoke, which keeps your weight down anyway. So probably quitting that without being pregnant would have caused you to gain a few pounds. Eating more obviously does that as well as being pregnant. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, and I'd tell my OB to stick it where the sun don't shine. :D 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you ladies!! You are absolutely wonderful!!
  • Your OB is pissed? I'd be finding a new doctor.
  • Tell your OB that the 60 pound weight gain is preferable to you continuing to smoke and take caffeine tablets. Personally, I think you deserve a lot of credit for quitting all that stuff! I'm sure it was nowhere near close to easy. And if you know you aren't eating poorly, then you're all set! 

• Same here! I've gained 50 lbs and I'm only in my 26th week. I try not to stress over all the weight I've gained but it's hard..especially when I read that the average weight gain in 35 lbs total. :(
  • With my first I went from 105 to 170. The doctors put me on a strict diet ( most because of gestational diabetes). My sugars were always normal when I checked daily so I think they were full of crap. Anyway, I was back down to 115 by month 3 after birth with no diet or exercise. Your body needs the extra weight now.
  • luce3103luce3103 member
    edited February 2015
    For the person who told her 130's is a healthy weight, you can't say that without knowing her height. 130lbs on a 5'10" frame is very thin, on 5"6" frame closer to healthy....
  • Ladies, thank you thank you!!

(I'm.. 5'2")
  • marijaa333marijaa333 member
    edited February 2015
    Even height and weight are not enough to figure out if someone is at a healthy weight.

My "normal" weight is well under the official BMI recommendation, as I have very light bones. If you measure my fat percentage, you get a more realistic picture. My husband is the opposite - he is heavier than what the BMI would recommend, but if you saw him, you wouldn't ever call him overweight; he has a broad and heavy frame and would look sick if he was of average weight for his height.

Pregnancy introduces so many other variables that guidelines are just that - a rough idea of where the majority falls; the fact they're being used as some kind of standard everyone should meet is crazy, as the broad range of experiences here on this thread shows.

I wish doctors would stick to monitoring vital functions and encouraging healthy eating and exercise for women of all sizes, rather than judging how we're doing by less meaningful measurements like weight. Not to mention, my OB weighs me with my shoes (now heavy winter boots!), while my friend's OB has hers take off her shoes and coat, making the comparison between my friend and me basically useless.

Finally, I remember being on the pill in my 20s and I *definitely* gained at least 10 lbs then even though I was very active. They all came off when I stopped, even though my activity levels decreased. Pregnancy hormones are much more intense than what you get from the pill, so I'm confident they're responsible for a lot of the weight gain, which will go away after the hormones do too.  And if it takes a long time, so what... I think I'll be too busy with the baby to be worried about it. :)
  • Breastfeed will help burn it off!!!!
  • I think your ok, some people are naturally small, before I got pregnant I was 110 I've gained a lot of weight myself and also quit smoking. You usually gain weight when you quit and plus being pregnant on top of it, I dont worry about it. My OB tried giving me shit for gaining to much weight. I told her, I eat healthy and eat when I'm hungry, I can't really do anything else. You'll be fine. Hey we should be happy we gave up smoking to be healthy for our little one, I don't know about you, but that was very difficult to do!!;)
  • Op thank you for posting about this. I came off adderal and quit smoking too am packed a quick 15 first trimester and some more in the middle but I have slowed gaining since December thankfully. Just a poumd here an there . I bet you will even out too.
  • Have you had your thyroid tested? Sometimes your thyroid will "burn out" during the first 3 months of pregnancy and then the "balooning effect" on your body will take place. You get prescription meds thats safe for baby to "restart" your thyroid. Good luck!
  • I am up 70 pounds. This is my second and I did the same thing with my first. Just enjoy it. You will drop back down to size...no worries. As far as your OB being mad I would tell him where to go. I always ask my OB if I'm getting to fat...he says no you don't get to keep it.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • It took me 3 months to fully drop weight after baby. That's with no exercise and shoving my face with everything I could not have during pregnancy. You will be fine.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"