May 2015 Moms
Options

fall on ice--when to worry

It's not my first fall. However, I slipped on ice on the way home from work and fell straight backwards. It wasn't overly hard, slightly knocked the wind out of me.

I checked with my doppler and heart rate is normal range.

I do notice my ligament pain is a bit worse and my cramps are more painful. However, I don't know if it's something to worry about or if maybe it's just been suddenly agitated from falling so abruptly.

I know baby is pretty well protected, I'm still feeling plenty of kicks and movement (I'm 25+5 weeks) but I'm just on high alert at the moment to be sure all is well.

At what point do I need to go to OB triage? What signs should I watch for that will warrant a check up? More likely everything is okay, I just want to know what I should watch for at this point in the pregnancy that may be red flags for me to seek medical care.

Re: fall on ice--when to worry

• Options
    Do you have an OB triage line you can call or your doctor's office? They would be the best ones to tell you if you should go in, or the signs to watch for. I fell down the stairs once while pregnant and was referred to perinatology for an urgent ultrasound, primarily because I had a low lying placenta and my OB was concerned it may have been compromised. All was fine!
    Me: 38, DH: 35
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    The OB clinic's message machine says to either go to ER if before 16 weeks or go to OB triage after 16 weeks, but they don't have a number to call. It's also in the middle of the night. So far the cramps have subsided, so looking like all is okay, just me being a tad paranoid.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's a different system in the UK but we are still advised to get checked out after a fall or bump - especially if you're rhesus negative. I'd ring the doctor for peace of mind.
  • Options
    Does your OB office have an after hours on call line option? If not, call the hospital Labor and delivery (or OB triage, whatever they call it). so better to be safe than sorry. Falling is scary! T&P for you and LO!
  • Options
    You need to call your doctor irregardless of how you feel. Even if you did not fall on your belly, make them aware of the circumstances, they may want to monitor you for any decelerations which could be a signal of an issue with the placenta integrity due to the fall. When in doubt, CALL!!!
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    I fell on Thursday and was kept in the hospital for 24 hours. They watched me closely and monitored for any preterm labor. OB said risk of labor is increased especially if you are having contractions (I was). It's ok to get checked out - it's so scary to go through. I hope you are ok!
  • Options
    Everything so far is good. Thank you everyone :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"