May 2015 Moms

Infant car seat in two-door car

Hi ladies. I have a very practical and specific question and it would be awesome to get help!

Has anyone tried to travel with an infant in a two-door car?  You'd have to push the front seat down and squeeze the infant car seat through to a base strapped into the back seat.  Anyone done that before?  Would a baby get upset being shoved through a small space?  (I'm a first-timer if that wasn't obvious.) 

DH and I want to get a bigger car to replace ONE of our two cars.  One is 4 door but otherwise kind of crappy.  The other is a two-door Honda Civic.  I'd like to get rid of the crappy one but not if the baby cannot potentially travel in both of our cars.  We both work and there will be some amount of childcare picks up to worry about after about two months.  

Thanks so much.  

Re: Infant car seat in two-door car

• I don't have any advice but we're in a similar boat! We have a 2-door Honda Civic as well and are hoping the jostling around doesn't get to be too much with an infant seat! Our other car is quite small and DH will not be able to drive it with Baby in the back, so I will be primarily driving until we switch car seats.
  • Two door cars are hard, but I've never had a problem. What kind of seat do you have? Or are looking at.
    Carsafety.org forum might help you!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a two door car with my first child and it really wasn't too bad, they are already in the car seat when you put them back there and then just snap the car seat in the base. It really never bothered baby or me to have the two cars, sure it's nice to have 4 doors but it's not a big deal at all :-)
  • Do some research into different carseats before picking one. I install carseats for people and not all the infant seats fit into the Honda civic 2 door safely.
  • Also, who says you have to take baby in car seat out every time.
  • I'm glad someone asked this I've been wondering if a car seat would even fit properly in my car or if I need a specific one.. I have a little 2 door Mitsubishi lancer I think 1997 or 1998 I always forget to find out.
  • I drove a 2 door cavalier with my first. The only problem I had was in parking lots I couldn't get the door open far enough sometimes to get the seat in the back. Cavaliers have really long doors.
  • I have an 02 two door Honda civic that I have been driving for years. With my first i was just as worried about it as you are but couldn't afford to buy a new one so we brought our first home from the hospital in it and it has worked great. I wont lie its not as easy as a four door but its totally do-able. While your LO is rear facing in the infant seat the best fit is in the middle otherwise the passenger seat had to be moved really far forward. Once LO is old enough to face forward it gets easier. Good luck!
  • Places like buy buy baby let you test out the car seats in your car to see if they will fit it's a good thing to do before you buy one.
  • It's probably doable with an infant seat, but it's going to be a huge PITA with a RF convertible seat.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"