Working Moms
Options

I lost my job @ 26 week

Sorry I never post so I still have my user name from the wedding.

I lost my job on Tuesday.  Needless to say I am flipping out.  I was the bread winner.  My husband is looking for a second job.  I am trying to find a temp job.   My pregnancy is a huge issue in my job search.  Not only can I not lift anything more than 10 lbs or work in the lab. 

I live in the SF bay area.  Does anyone know of any local resources? 

Re: I lost my job @ 26 week

• Options
    I would file for unemployment immediately. The state might have resources they can refer you to.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How did you lose your job? Based on your pregnancy? If so that can be a discrimination lawsuit. If for other reasons, sorry lady. Try craigslist and indeed as a few options to find work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That's aweful! I'm so sorry to hear that. I was also the primary bread winner and lost my job recently. Apply for unemployment ASAP, not sure if you will qualify but know your former employer has a say in the process. If it takes a while to get approved it may be them holding up the application. If you do qualify for unemployment it generally lasts for 6 months.

Also, any new job you take (if you can get one) you will not be covered under FMLA (Family and Medical Leave Act). FMLA essentially holds your job open for you while you are on maternity leave for a maximum of 12 weeks. To qualify for FMLA you have to work for your employer for longer than 12 months. So keep that in mind while job hunting.

Again I'm so sorry this has happened to you...unfortunately in the US the labor protection laws are not on your side. It may be worth speaking with a labor attorney in your state to see what your other options are available to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"