1st Trimester
Options

What to expect during a Nuchal Translucency (NT) Ultrasound

I am 12 weeks and 3 days pregnant and have an appt for the Nuchal Translucency (NT) Ultrasound on Friday afternoon. What should I be expecting? Out of all my appts, i've had - I am most nervous about this one. 

Thanks!

Re: What to expect during a Nuchal Translucency (NT) Ultrasound

• Options
    During mine it was just a regular ultrasound. The tech wasn't allowed to say anything but after she had her measurements she did turn the screen and point out the baby, heartbeat, legs etc. Any important information was sent to the doctor. I had the ultrasound as part of other tests. (including sets of blood tests weeks apart)

As far as the actual appointment, it wasn't any different that others. I was always nervous before, during and after my appointments. That being said I would much prefer having more information. Good luck, try not to worry.
  • Options
    FilledwJoy2FilledwJoy2 member
    edited February 2015
    So the Tech isnt allowed to give any information at all? How long did the entire test take? I've read some things online that say it can take up to 3 hours. If it really is 3 hours, not knowing anything that entire time will drive me crazy. haha @blush64 @ladycersei

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sorry I was not near the computer for a while but @ladycersei has already answered.  The tech is usually not allowed to say anything although some might say more than others. When I had mine done it was part of other tests as well. I had to wait a few weeks to find out anything. (1 round of blood tests followed by an ultrasound, several weeks later 2nd round of blood tests and another ultrasound) After everything I made an appointment with my doctor to find out what was going on. I would have preferred to wait a few hours.

I agree it will probably not take too long for the actual scan unless the baby is not in a position to allow for the correct measurements. Taking a long time does not mean anything is wrong, it could mean baby is moving a bunch or is not in the right position. 

I would try not to worry about this. It is just a screening. It does not need to worry you. The odds are usually on your side. Even if you find out you are at an increased chance for issues after this chances are your baby is still ok. I screened positive and my daughter is fine. Yes, issues are found with some people, but the majority of people are ok. 
  • Options
    I had mine today and it only lasted 30 min and the tech told me everything she was doing!!! It wasn't scary at all..any chance to see baby is awesome! Then I had to go get lots of blood drawn and pee test. Good luck!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. I actually went on Friday afternoon and it also lasted about 30-45 minutes. Everything came out great according to the tech and all she did was take lots of pictures. She also gave us a CD with some of our pictures on them. It was so exciting to see our baby growing and doing well. However, I didnt get any blood drawn or had a pee test. I had blood drawn and a pee test about a week or two before this NT appt so I believe those were the results I had gotten on Friday. 

I can only hope and pray that everything continues on the positive track. 

Thank you again for all your insights. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"