May 2015 Moms
Options

Placenta Encapsulation?

Hi ladies- I am wondering what people have heard/read about the benefits of doing placenta encapsulation? I've read it curbs postpartum depressions, moods, etc but wanted to hear what others thought? Any known downsides?

Thanks!

Re: Placenta Encapsulation?

• Options
    I spoke to my Doula and she supports all of the positive benefits, my doctor however says the opposite, it won't hurt me but doesn't think there's anything that supports true benefits. I'm still doing it because I'm praying it will help with my milk supply. Good luck.
  • Options
    I did a lot of research on it and agree that the benefits of it look great. However, most of this is from blogs or reviews and there are not a lot of actually scientific studies available that I have found. I had a long talk with my doctor and he said something like "the pills are not made in a lab or sterile environment and many are made in people homes, it will be much better in years when it is more advanced" I ended up deciding not to do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have decided to do it. I know there isn't much scientific research on the subject, but from everything I've read in which it aids breast milk supply, postpartum depression, and the fact that the cost isn't too high, I see more ups than downs. 
  • Options
    I'm going to do it! I didn't do anything like it with my first, I figured what could it hurt? If it could possibly help with my milk supply or even help ward of any PPD which I had with my first I'm all for it! 
  • Options
    I think it's a load of new-age nonsense scientifically, but it's full of iron and other stuff apparently so won't do you any harm.

I say, if you fancy it, do it. It's just not for me :)
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I appreciate the comments!
  • Options
    I've done a ton of research on it, and honestly I have read more often than not on its positive effects (versus no effects). My midwife says she has seen cases where it helps, and cases it doesn't (against PPD). I have a history of anxiety so PPD scares me and I am definitely doing it! My family and friends think I'm crazy, but I really believe that if all of the suggested effects aren't true, at least some of them will be. Why not try it? And my friends in Asia think it's completely normal. You'll find around the world it's way more common.

• Options
    I have been recently looking into placenta encapsulation, as well.  I also have a history of anxiety and depression, but I'd rather take something more natural than get back on medication while breast feeding (although my midwife suggested that I do go back on anti-anxiety medication if I have PPD).  I completely agree with mhayes120.

I found that often doulas will offer the service, as well as other small organizations.  I read that they will come to your house as part of a 2-day process.  Day one, they will sterilize your house. Day two, they will prepare your placenta and encapsulate it in your kitchen.  It's supposed to be encapsulated within 72 hours or something, but they do give you directions on what to do with it.  Apparently it's against health laws for them to prepare it somewhere else for various reasons, so they have to do it at your home.  

Lastly, I heard that some hospitals are cool about giving you your placenta to take home, while others will not give it to you, so check your hospital's policy (one of the weirder questions of course).  

I've read that there are more benefits to doing it, and if nothing happens, what have you got to lose?!  Also, if it has negative side effects, you can just stop taking it.  I think it's all about personal preference, so just go for it if you want to!  I definitely will.
  • Options
    My cousin has been pregnant three times. First two were rough recoveries after a single baby. Last was twins and she did the capsules for first time and her recovery was easiest out of all pregnancies. That was enough for me to want to try it. But I just had a birthing class and the nurse made a joke about women doing it. So I'm sure the hospital will roll their eyes. Oh well. I still want to try it.
  • Options
    I did a lot of research on it and agree that the benefits of it look great. However, most of this is from blogs or reviews and there are not a lot of actually scientific studies available that I have found. I had a long talk with my doctor and he said something like "the pills are not made in a lab or sterile environment and many are made in people homes, it will be much better in years when it is more advanced" I ended up deciding not to do it.
    That is true most is done in homes.  However, my friend is a doula and does this.  She is very clean about it, uses a lot of disposable things so they are only used for that persons placenta.  I didn't do it with DD but will be doing it this time around.  I figure it couldn't hurt to do it. I know sometimes women need to adjust how many they are taking because of the hormone levels and trying to balance it out.  I'm interested to see what it does for me.
  • Options
    I'll definitely be doing placenta encapsulation, I'm so glad to see this thread!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"