September 2014 Moms

Diaper Rash Remedies

Our little guy is 5 months old. During that time he has had very few dealings with rashes of any kind. Occasionally there was a small flare-up for which his doc would prescribe an anti-fungal cream and it would clear up in a few days - no problem.

Over the past couple weeks he has developed a rash that will not go away - regardless of what we use. We have used the cream the doctor gave us, Butt Paste, Desitin, A&D ointment. We have tried using warm wash cloths instead of wipes - even though his wipes have no dyes or perfumes and are supposed to be for sensitive skin. We change him very regularly.

Do any of you have any other remedies you have tried that have worked wonders? (He is formula fed so putting breast milk on it is not an option.)

Thanks in advance!

Re: Diaper Rash Remedies

• I use coconut oil for my son most of the time but occasionally he gets a bad diaper rash and I've found that lanolin really helps. I put it on really thick then let him go without a diaper for a little while. Good luck :)
  • Coconut butter (found it at whole foods) mixed with Aquaphor and then some corn starch in the diaper worked great for us when we had an issue.

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • we like triple paste. extra time free to the air helps, but that's pretty impractical a lot of the time.

you could try googling about burned flour. sounds crazy but some people swear by it - and at least it isn't expensive!

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Plain old Vaseline! Worked in 2 days after my LO got a severe diaper rash/burn

• Corn starch my family and my husbands swear by it
  • Another vote for Triple Paste. It is a miracle worker. Cleared a nasty diaper rash for DS1 in a few hours.
  • Seriously the best solution to taper rash is to use your blow dryer on the cold setting for 10 minutes. The sound is soothing to LO and 10 min of cool air is equivalent to 2 hours air drying. I just do 3 or 4 min at every change when he has a rash and it's gone by the next morning.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. He's finally over his rash! I've never heard of the blow-dryer one, but I will definitely try it!

We ended up using Vaseline, which turned out to be the only thing in our arsenal of goodies that really helped reduce the redness. I'm not sure why this one was so stubborn, but I thank you for your input and I'm glad it's gone!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"