July 2015 Moms

do ultrasounds have any proven detrimental effects on mom or baby?

Hi was just doing some research on ultrasounds. I have had one and have another check up tomorrow and my doctor will probably offer another one. Are these routine ultrasounds ever cause for concern? One study I read said that on pregnant mice a 30 min ultrasound had negative effects. Does anyone here opt out and if so for what reason? I really am dying to see my baby the first time was so exhilarating and would love to again but if its not necessary is there any reason to limit how many I get? Is there any scientific proof either way someone knows about. If the doctors are offering it then why should I even be worried? Thoughts anyone?

Re: do ultrasounds have any proven detrimental effects on mom or baby?

• There really isn't research to prove their safety so they are "presumed safe". That being said we only get one ultrasound- the anatomy scan- and opt out of any others.
  • With both of mine, I had/have had several ultrasounds and no issues. I don't think there's any hard evidence but I do know it's becoming a hot topic.

imagePhotobucket

TTC #1 since 3/2011
    DX: anovulatory and severe MFI
    DH is a testicular cancer survivor
    IVF#1 w/ICSI lupron, gonal f, ovidrel
    ER 6/15/12 6R 6M 6F! ET 6/20/12
    Beta #1: 154 Beta #2: 509 Beta #3: 7326
    Baby Boy born 3/1/2013
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

TTC#2: 6/2014 all testing came back normal

IVF#2 (#1 for LO#2) 9/2014 - 17R 10M 10F 4 blasts frozen on day 6.

FET #1 10/15/14 - Beta #1: 216  Beta #2: 823

Baby Boy born 7/10/2015

• Loading the player...
  • Funny you should mention this, people keep asking me if I am doing all the "unnecessary" scans. In my opinion, a Nuchal translucency scan and anatomy scan are by no means "unnecessary".
  • My mom is a radiologist, and she said abdominal (external) scans are safe enough that they can be done for up to an hour on a daily basis if necessary with no concern, but vaginal (internal) scans should be limited to 30 minutes or less and be done only once or twice in a pregnancy.

Lilypie - (tQ1Y)

Lilypie - (Rgc4)

Daisypath - (bXqd)

Natural miscarriage @ 8 weeks - 3/8/2005
    Big Brother "Skippy" born - 2/28/2007
    Missed miscarriage - (EDD 3/5/2013) - D&E @ 11 weeks - 8/8/2012
    "Hen" (EDD 6/7/2013) - born sleeping @ 19 weeks - 1/15/2013
    "G-Unit" born - 4/14/2014 and he's 100% perfection!!
  • With my first I had ultrasounds every 2 weeks, with this one I have them once a week,'I've asked both my Dr. And my Aunt Who's a radiologist and both told me not to worry, there's no proof that they can cause any harm. I still worry a bit but I've learned to fully trust my doctor, otherwise you'll go crazy about every little detail.
  • Although there is no hard evidence, they do have some research that is suggesting certain things. My MIL is a U/S tech... there was a study that U/S overload may cause baby to be born left handed.  

I wouldn't worry too much. If it wasn't healthy, I don't think our doctors would allow it.

• If I had to put money on it I would bet that they are safe.  However, nobody can really say for sure which is why I would be hesitant to do one without reason.  I would just ask the doctor why he/she is doing an u/s, if the response is something along the lines of, "It's just nice to take a peek at the baby." That would be a strong indicator that the u/s is unnecessary, in which case feel free to decline if you don't want it.  They can always check the heartbeat with the hand-held doppler.  If your doctor says it's your a/s and they will be checking organs then of course that is a good reason! 
  • I would say don't do any unnecessary ones for your piece of mind. To see that the pregnancy is viable and the 20 week anatomy ones are the only "necessary" ones.
  • I'm getting ready to have my 5th one.
    1St, was due to bleeding
    2Nd, was my 1st prenatal
    3Rd, was my 12wk 1st trimester scan
    4Th was yesterday my early gender scan.
    5Th will be when im 20wks to check whatever they check.
    I had alot with my daughter as well. She was born in good health.
  • I'm getting ready to have my 5th one.
    1St, was due to bleeding
    2Nd, was my 1st prenatal

Just curious why you had an early gender scan? Most people find out at the 20 weeks scan
  • Mamamads said:
    I would say don't do any unnecessary ones for your piece of mind. To see that the pregnancy is viable and the 20 week anatomy ones are the only "necessary" ones.
    I would venture to say that a viability u/s is not even 'necessary'.  I only had 1 u/s with DD the a/s.  With my second two my MWs wanted a dating u/s because I was BFing when I got pregnant.  Sure, I didn't find out until 11w that we had a viable pregnancy with my first, as that was when they checked via doppler, but it all worked out!
  • My midwife just told me that they received word a few weeks ago that 3D/4D ultrasounds and at home fetal Dopplers are not recommended for health reasons. I don't do either of those so I didn't really ask any more Into it, she just said they aren't necessary and cause health problems for the baby.
  • I'm already on U/S #7 or 8 this time around and had them every week from 18-25 (birth) with my last pregnancy. When there's a need to check, then check away.
  • Chellz0684Chellz0684 member
    edited February 2015

I'm getting ready to have my 5th one.
    1St, was due to bleeding
    2Nd, was my 1st prenatal

Just curious why you had an early gender scan? Most people find out at the 20 weeks scan
    It wasn't scheduled through my Doctor's office. I scheduled it at the 3D ultrasound place called Tiney Perspectives. Where they offer early gender reveals and other ultrasound packages. You must be 16wks though. They are called Elective Ultrasound Gender reveal. They were very professional. And it was a comfortable atmosphere. I am so happy I did. I feel so much more connected to my baby now that I know what it is.

• I have only had two ultra sounds total one was my first visit and one this week for the anatomy scan in second trimester. In between my OB has used the fetal doplar. I am 35 but healthy with no current issues to date. It just seems weird that I have not had more ultra sounds.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"