May 2015 Moms

Heart Burn

odawgodawg member
edited February 2015 in May 2015 Moms
Please someone tell me the best way to get rid of this. I have never had heart burn in my life and I have a new respect for those that due. It won't go away! ITS SO ANNOYING and it always livens up when I am trying to go to bed (and yes I already use two pillows under my head!). I feel like my throat is on fire :( 

Re: Heart Burn

• I just started getting soooo much heartburn. Tums tums tums have been my friend lately. Also, eat like 6-8 real small meals rather than anything big and don't eat like 2-3 hours before bed. That's the best Ive been doing for now! Good luck!
  • Zantac and tums help me out some what. It's definitely no fun for sure and it's every night deal for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • I've just started with this too, actually just woke up with it now, I use gaviscon works in seconds
  • i have had it the last few weeks and it is terrible. i actually  didnt know what it was because it is in my upper stomach so i went to the dr and she said it was heart burn. i have been trying to not eat out as much and it seems to be helping. also the other day i took medicine for it right after i ate pizza and it seemed to help. i cant hardly sleep though! i have to lay on my pack with pillows propped under me. if i wake up and am on my side it is like fire!
  • Tums will be your best friend untill delivery
  • I've had terrible GERD since the very beginning of my pregnancy. My doctor's office prescribed me the max dosage of the Pepcid AC generic. I take it twice a day regardless of how I feel, not as needed, and it seems to help. Tums don't do anything for me.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Milk and heartburn tablets.

Lovely!
  • @sevillanagal‌ Same here! I almost think I would prefer morning sickness to GERD, vomiting stomach acid is a nightmare
  • I have to take the OTC target brand antacid.  Tums does nothing for me anymore.  Its a 24 hour tablet and they sell them by the bottles of 14, I can't remember the name.  I had to start way earlier than last time.  
  • I take tums everyday, never got heartburn before I got pregnant and have had since I found out.

Also do not use milk, it will only work for a little while and will make your heartburn worse after it is digested it makes more acid in your stomach.

• Tums. And if those don't help mix a little baking soda and water and drink it. Sounds gross I know. But my friend swears by it. The tums have worked so far for me.
  • jennygirlmtjennygirlmt member
    edited February 2015
    Heartburn was the symptom I was most afraid of when deciding to get pregnant again. I get this pain in my chest that feels like people are squeezing my esophagus. Tums don't work for me. The thing that gets rid of the burning immediately is a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar. I hold my breath and don't breathe through my mouth after so I can't taste it.

I also think sipping milk helps before bed really makes a difference, not eating after 6pm and not too much all at once all help.  And I've read that lemon essential oil (or real lemon) in water works too. I'll probably try that.

ETA- half my post was eaten
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Awh I swear by milk, it's my go-to acid reliever!

I also try not to eat a couple of hours before bed and lie propped up. I think you have to experiment and find what works for you ^^
  • I've been dealing with it for 2 months. Tums helps a little but I've found drinking hot water or hot decaf black tea helps the best.
  • STM # 4....heartburn is torturous during my pregnancies, tums does nothing, Dr. Recommend Pepcid, it Rocks!!!
  • Thanks!! I will be testing these options out for sure
  • My heartburn and reflux remedy since early pregnancy has been a glass of warm milk with a tablespoon of honey. It tastes yummy and it soothes that awful burn.
  • Be careful with how many Tums you're eating. I think it's only recommended that we eat 6 in a 24 hour period. I had horrible heartburn & was downing Tums like they were candy. Milk also helps me. OB said to try Zantac or Pepcid. Now I take Zantac every morning to prevent it & works like a charm! Good luck!
  • Milk and honey. Also, Apple cider vinegar. Good luck! My heart burn has been awful and those things have helped.
  • @sgaskin16‌ Did you doctor say what strength Zantac to take? Mine said I could take it but never mentioned strength.
  • Sometimes if it gets bad for me I eat a slice of bread. Seems to help a lot

imageimage

• I did Zantac 75 during last pregnancy and tums but this time those do nothing. The best I can do is not eat a few hours before bed (which doesn't make me happy since I'm typically starving then) and propping myself on three layered pillows to help. 
  • I have always had horrible reflux, even before pregnancy, and now it's 10x worse! My OB told me to take extra strength pepcid twice a day and I supplement with Tums to get me through. Still have some issues but it's tolerable.
  • I take Zantac 75 mg once and on bad days twice a day. My ob said I can take 150 mg a day. It literally has saved me the past 2 weeks
  • My dr said she didn't recommend tums. I have cut out fast food and not been eating as big of meals. It has seemed to help the last week or so.
  • My doctor gave me a prescription for medication to help with it. Its seriously amazing!!! Ask your doctor!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"