June 2015 Moms
Options

2nd Baby Shower

This is our second child and the idea has been brought up to me several times about a baby shower. Our first was a boy and this one will be a surprise :) Has anyone heard of this? I think it would be fun but also feel like I'm asking for presents when we already have the basics.....

Re: 2nd Baby Shower

• Options
    I am picturing the nope octopus....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If people are excited for you and offering to throw you a shower I say go for it! Having a baby should be celebrated if it's your first or your fifth.
  • Options
    I think sprinkles are OK... When they are done right it's only people who truly want to celebrate with you and are not just feeling obligated to bring a present to a formal event... Registries are a big no-no for a sprinkle but it can be a very sweet celebration if it is done correctly.
  • Options
    Also you may want to search some previous posts on this as you will read several opinions about this situation.
  • Options
    Clammy said:
    I would plan it myself if I were you so you can keep it classy. Make a huge registry and send out formal invites and make sure to request a book instead of a card. Also, don't bother sending thank you notes because that's old fashioned. Just text or something like that.
    Hells yeah.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • Options
    Go for it! Even if you have the essentials there are still a bunch of things you'll need for this baby! I'm a STM and I have friends planning to throw me a shower. They are excited to celebrate the baby with me and I don't think there is anything wrong with that!
  • Options
    Like I said, I have friends who want to throw me a shower for my second. I think it is great that people want to celebrate with me and I have no problem letting people help me out with diapers and things like that! It's not like I'm throwing myself a shower. Plus, I feel like it's not super abnormal to have showers for each pregnancy. I have been to a lot of showers for second and third pregnancies and I love getting to celebrate and help them get started with their new baby!
  • Options
    This is actually commonplace in a lot of families.... Especially when they truly want to celebrate it and have a party in honor of a new baby (not planned by mom to be if course!)... It's not really fair to judge someone for having one when it is perfectly acceptable within their family/ circle of friends.... Still no registries though! And I think the guest list should be fairly conservative.
  • Options
    Clammy said:

I would plan it myself if I were you so you can keep it classy. Make a huge registry and send out formal invites and make sure to request a book instead of a card. Also, don't bother sending thank you notes because that's old fashioned. Just text or something like that.

This is what I was thinking!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Angel baby 3/2014 at 5.5 weeks
    Angel baby 6/2014 MMC at 7.5 weeks
  • Options
    Please use the search function. This topic has been exhausted many times.
  • Options
    My mother and cousin are throwing me a second shower. I wasn't really into it because like everyone else I thought it was taboo to have a 2nd one. I changed my mind because I saw how much it meant to them. It's not about the gifts. It's about family and friends wanting to celebrate and be part of your pregnancy. They were going to do it no matter what I said. Lol. They're not planning anything big just a tea party at my mothers. It will be nice to see all the women in my life all together one more time before I'm super busy with two kids. I say go for it. It'll be fun and people that think it's "gift-grabby" don't have to join in your celebration of new life and a growing healthy family.
  • Options
    There was a STM who asked the exact same question a week or so ago. Her post received about 100+ responses. You might search for that post as a lot of different opinions were given.
  • Options
    I'm definitely not doing a second shower!

I have a Daughter born 2/26/2013. She is pretty much amazing!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Maybe you could just have a diaper and wipes party! Just have the guests bring a pack of each and have food and maybe games to celebrate!
  • Options
    I don't think it's ever proper to dictate what gifts are brought to a party... Personally I would rather bring an outfit or blanket than wipes if going to this kind of party .....
  • Options
    MrsR0530MrsR0530 member
    edited February 2015
    @clammie‌ a sarcastic comment is a waste of everyone's times to read. I'm sure you have better things to do than come up with snide remarks.
  • Options
    As many people have stated, a formal shower for a second baby is pretty tacky. If you want people to "celebrate the baby" with you, have a get together after its born or have a BBQ or whatever. Then specify NO GIFTS on the invite.
  • Options
    I know in some social circles baby showers are done for subsequent children.  But here's the thing, if you have to ask then I'm betting that's not the norm in your area and thus would not be smiled upon. 

Second showers just aren't done in my circle.  If someone offered, I would probably say something along the lines of, "How thoughtful of you to think about that, but truly we are all set.  What if a few of us (close friends/family) got together before the baby comes and had lunch or got our nails done? It would be so nice to see everyone before things get crazy!'  That way you can still get together with your nearest and dearest, but you don't feel like you are asking for more gifts.  Trust me if people want to give you gifts they will and don't need a party to do so.  As I said, we don't do second showers, but when friends/family come to meet the new baby we always bring food and a gift. 
  • Options
    TACKY!  Don't do it.
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    MrsR0530 said:

@clammie‌ a sarcastic comment is a waste of everyone's times to read. I'm sure you have better things to do than come up with snide remarks.

Cool story, bro.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"