May 2015 Moms

Lying down on back for facial

I was in very much need of a facial.  I had not had one since I first found out I was pregnant.  I am now 25 weeks, and went to get a facial and let the person know that I was pregnant.  She put a towel underneath my head to prop up a little and then a couple pillows for my knees to sit.  I very much enjoyed my facial, but could not help to worry about lying on my back for 45 minutes.  I hope everything is fine with my baby.  What do you do when you go get a facial?

Re: Lying down on back for facial

• I actually pitch my hips to the side and keep my shoulders flat. Not super comfortable but I switch sides as needed. I hope to go in at least a couple more times before the big day.
  • Were you dizzy or anything when you got up? If not, I wouldn't worry at all!
  • Loading the player...
  • not a problem. if you weren't uncomfortable, then everything was okay. I hope it was fun!
    Pregnancy Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

BABY NINJA!
  • I had a facial on my back. She did incline for me a bit. But I think you're fine.
  • I also recently had a massage. Half on my back half on my side. It doesn't bother me.
  • I lay on my back and don't bother to worry about it.
  • I sleep on my back. :X I actually had no idea that was a thing until recently, but it's comfortable and I feel her move around all the time so I'm not really worried about it... 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You're body will let you know if you were on your back for too long. You might feel dizzy or light headed. Same for sleep you will automatically change positions.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Had one a couple weeks ago. She put pillow behind my head and inclined the massage table. Put pillow under my knees. Similar position to when they put you on NST at OBgYN office.

I was more uncomfortable because table was heated and they steamed my face- was very excited to move into "cooling" phase at end!

Hope you enjoy more next time!

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You should NEVER lie on your back when you are pregnant. EVER.
  • Agree with the previous posters, your body will let you know if it's a problem; I can't even have a dental exam or ultrasound without having to roll completely on my side, otherwise I can't breathe and get really faint, start getting cold sweats, the whole thing. If you were able to lay there that long feeling normal then you're good :)
  • You might find it gets more uncomfortable to lie on your back as you progress, but the risk is in restricting your blood flow from the weight of your uterus compressing the vena cava. If that happens, you'll feel unconfortable before you can actually do any damage. Just listen to your body.
  • I just asked my doctor about this again at my appointment yesterday because I keep waking up on my back regardless of how many damn pillows I prop myself up with.  

She told me for the third time that I should just relax and not worry about it since I'll correct myself when it's necessary.  The concern is not for the baby (unless you were on bed-rest lying like that for days upon days) but rather for the mother as you can have a hard time breathing or get light-headed.  But she said I would automatically wake up if that happens (and before it would put the baby at any risk), which has been the case for me, and to just readjust.  She said it's as simple as putting a little blanket just beneath my right hip, and that would tilt me enough for it to never be an issue. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"