September 2015 Moms

Teacher Blues...

Hi ladies! I currently teach 5th grade. I'm a little frustrated that I will be going on maternity leave so early in the new year. Anyone feel the same? If you did it before, were your kids academically behind when you returned? Any lesson plan tips?

Re: Teacher Blues...

• Unless you start in early August (vs in September) I would suggest taking maternity leave from the start of school. I'm a permanent sub at the moment (I was last semester as well at a different school) and it would have been REALLY hard for both the kids and myself if the permanent teacher was in the class for a week then left and have to get used to a whole new teacher. I'm at the high school level but was a regular sub at the elementary level and I could see that sort of rough transitioning being even worse for littles.

As long as you get a quality substitute that has gone through school (which you should since it's a permanent position vs random day) they shouldn't be behind academically. For lessons, I would leave a previous years schedule/plan book so they have an idea on how you leave your lessons. My teacher did that last semester and it was a HUGE help. Leave your resources organized and easy to find as well.
  • Thank you for advice. School actually starts the first week in August but teachers go back the last week in July. My due date is September 26. Luckily we have fall break (1 week out) the week before my due date. So I plan with the help of Jesus to work up until fall break and start my leave the Monday they return, since my due date is that Saturday.

That's my goal. With my first pregnancy, I was on hospital bedrest for three months and home bedrest for three weeks. Hopefully that won't happen this time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for advice. School actually starts the first week in August but teachers go back the last week in July. My due date is September 26. Luckily we have fall break (1 week out) the week before my due date. So I plan with the help of Jesus to work up until fall break and start my leave the Monday they return, since my due date is that Saturday.

That's my goal. With my first pregnancy, I was on hospital bedrest for three months and home bedrest for three weeks. Hopefully that won't happen this time.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you. I am going to school to become an English teacher and we just found out I'm pregnant! Sounds like you went through a lot with your first pregnancy, so try to get plenty if rest. Best wishes to you!
  • I'm a highschool chem teacher. I actually hope to start the year with them, then dissapear for 6 weeks.
    *Siggy Warning*

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm planning to start the year. We are actually moving in June from CA to AZ, and I just found out the district I had my sights on is laying over 100 teachers off. I've been in the classroom for 6 years now. I'm considering some other options besides teaching that would allow me to be at home more but stay in education.
  • I am right there with you!! I teach third grade and I'm due Sept 21 but I'm planning on taking Sept - Dec and starting back myself after Christmas break. I'm going to leave my plans from this year for my sub and a breakdown of the skills by unit and week so s/he knows what to cover.
  • Yes! We start back in early August. We have an excellent English teacher retiring this year, so I am going to see if I can get her as my sub. The timing may be a little tough, but it will be worth it!
  • I am a FTM, but my sister in law had her children in early September. Her biggest complaint when she returned to school was classroom discipline. I would discuss this with your sub and lay out your expectations so you don't spend your first few weeks back having to start from square one.
  • I'm with you! I teach 4th grade and it's going to be a pain to have to leave my kids so early. I've decided to go ahead and start the year with them and then take maternity leave so I can at least meet my kids and get everything set up. I also want to have the maximum amount of time off with my little one actually there. It'll be annoying, but I'm so overjoyed with the surprise pregnancy after my missed miscarriage in September that I really could care less.
    Me: 25  DH: 24
    Me: 4th Grade ELAR Teacher  DH: Police Officer
    Married: May 28, 2011
    TTC 1st Child since January 2013
    1st RE Appt: 8/19/14
    Blood Work: 8/26/14
    HSG Test: 9/2/14
    RE Appt to discuss results and treatment: 9/8/14
    Shocking BFP: 9/27/14
    D&C: 10/17/14
    Benching myself until we fully heal
    Unexpected BFP: 1/23/15

• Thanks for the advice everyone. My administration and grade level know I'm expecting and have been very supportive. Now I just my students to take it easy on me.
  • I am a 1st grade teacher and will only be with my kids for 1st and 2nd term... we start in Jan with term 1 and end in Dec with term 4. Due date is Sept.... Going to miss them!!
  • We also start back as teachers the end of July with kids starting the beginning of August so I will have almost 8 weeks with them if I go full term. I personally would not want to use maternity leave on preplanning and those first few weeks. The thing I am most worried about would be discipline but as long as you have good routines in place, you can mold them into awesome students.

In regards to the planning, I would leave a list of your reading groups and your planning calendars. I am not sure how your grade does planning, but we split into small groups and provide lesson plans for the other teachers in our grade. For instance, these 18 weeks, I am on the R/ELA team.

33 years old, Married Oct '11,

Summer '14: Diagosed with hypothryoidism, pollup, LPD, Low AMH, strong FSH.

BFP: 1/22/15. EDD: 9/23/14. Rainbow baby!

• @ginaannechelan You may be interested to know that there are actually quite a few work from home education jobs, sylvan learning center,Connections Academy and K12 to name a few. Here is a link you might find helpful:https://directory.wahadventures.com/category/education/ Good luck!
  • Thank you for link! I've been thinking of possibly going this route.
  • I teach 1st grade, we start school September 9th and I'm due the 8th. I'm nervous to not start the year with my little firsties and then come back in November.
  • @AmandaluvsJames‌ I used to work part time online for Pearson and Ashford University. A lot of them aren't my cup of tea because their curriculum is scripted. I've been doing a lot of writing for my district and moving more towards a teacher-coaching position than anything. No matter what I'll be doing, it's got to be creative to be worth it.
  • I haven't told anyone at school yet, but I'm a 3rd grade teacher due at the end of September. Hopefully I can work for 4 weeks and get the routines in place before jetting off to have baby. I'm nervous about it all. Wishing I could go back part time with a job share. Just don't know if it is even a viable option! I have no idea how to tell my principal (amidst a budget cutting layoff situation). Oh well! It'll work out how it's supposed to I guess!
  • I teach high school Math.  We really tried to plan it so that I would have the baby during the summer, but that didn't quite work out.  

I am nervous about making 6 to 8 weeks worth of lesson plans to leave.  When one of our other math teachers was on maternity leave last school year, we had a retired math teacher to take her place.  She was very reluctant to do it, but she agreed.  I was hoping we would be able to get her to do mine, but because of all the new insurance rules and such (especially in NC), it looks like we won't be able to hire anybody who is certified like that.  If they sign on to do the maternity leave, they could lose their benefits.  I guess they consider it "double dipping".  So I think I'm just going to have a sub.  

We start about August 25th and I'm due Sept 6th, so I'll be there for the first week or so, but then will not be back until late October/early November.  I typically teach Math 1, which is the class where they have a state mandated test at the end of the semester, so that makes me very nervous.  
  • I'm a fifth grade teacher as well and have been worried about it too! We need to keep in touch as the time gets closer:)
  • Hi!
    I teach Kindergarten so routines are crucial! My sub is going to spend a few days in the classroom with me at the beginning of the year observing my teaching strategies. I've also started labeling everything so it will be easier for her to find things! Hope this helps!
  • GeorgiaDottieGeorgiaDottie member
    edited February 2015
    I am so jealous of those going back in Sept! In Atlanta this past year we went back July 31st w/the kids starting aug 6th! Granted we get out before Memorial Day but still...July is summer! I expect to go back end of July again this coming school year.

33 years old, Married Oct '11,

Summer '14: Diagosed with hypothryoidism, pollup, LPD, Low AMH, strong FSH.

BFP: 1/22/15. EDD: 9/23/14. Rainbow baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"