2nd Trimester

anatomy scan

Hi can somebody know how to read the ultrasound pictures? My sonographer didn't tell me what's the gender because they are not allowed to tell.

Re: anatomy scan

• Nope.
    Coffee Bean Born 6/13/15.
    2nd round exp 8/20/18.
    Meow.
  • The gender of your child won't be known for several more years. But you can pay to have an elective ultrasound to find out the sex.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's so weird, my tech asked me if I wanted to find out the sex at my anatomy scan. I'd say bring the pictures they gave you to your next doctor's appointment and see if he/she can tell you. Otherwise you may want to get an elective ultrasound where they can tell you the sex of the baby. Good luck with everything.
  • A lot of places it depends on the clinic policy. sometimes it is a provincial/state policy to  not diveldge any information (even as benign as sex of the child)If you speak with your healthcare provider - if they were able to tell it will be on the reports when they received them.

• smeame14 said:
    That is interesting, I thought that telling what the SEX of the baby was one thing that the sonographer could tell you (never with a 100% guarentee, though). They can tell you what they are looking at, and show you the beating heart, hands, etc. Normaly they can not tell you any medical issues/advice. Hopefully you can ask at your follow up appointment, but if it is like our office, the sex of the baby is not important and NOT documented. Only the important health information is recorded. We are not ultrasound techs, so if you do have a pic bring it in and as your doc. He is the trained orofessional.
    This is really interesting to me - I checked my report, and you're right, the sex isn't mentioned there! I certainly don't think it's a huge deal, but I'm still surprised that they didn't mention what they saw because it is part of the anatomy that was visualized, and it was discussed at the appointment. Crazy!
  • Try in-gender forums. They love guessing and will do so quickly. Now of course it's a guess so you'll never know for sure but at least you'll have some idea! Also you can always go for an elective ultrasound. In my city they do them starting at around $40
  • If your doctor is going to go over the scan with you at a future appointment it us likely they will be able to tell you. As long as the tech took a good shot the doctor will know what to look for.

As I understand it, this is fairly common when you have off site ultrasounds. My OB office has all of the equipment on site so the tech just tells us everything she is looking at and measuring.
  • You can find a free standing ultrasound clinic that will do a gender scan for probably no more then $150.

Secondary Infertility 38 years old (husband has no children)
    TTC since we got married 6/18/11
    Diagnosed with DOR - AMH 0.8

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

Changed RE's September 2014
    IUI #3 December
    2014 - BFP-My Lil Blessing!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Unless they don't have those clinics in Canada.

Secondary Infertility 38 years old (husband has no children)
    TTC since we got married 6/18/11
    Diagnosed with DOR - AMH 0.8

Miscarriage April 2000
    Had my son 2/27/01

IUI #1 May 2012 - BFN
    IUI #2 June 2012 - BFN

Changed RE's September 2014
    IUI #3 December
    2014 - BFP-My Lil Blessing!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Unless they don't have those clinics in Canada.
    They are popping up every where in major cities across Canada.
  • In BC even the doctor isn't allowed to tell.  There are some elective places that do it, but they aren't supposed to and I think the province is trying to prevent it.

So basically people in BC aren't allowed to know the sex of their child?
    I mean first world problems and all but that's really outlandish.
    NagaWater said:
    In BC even the doctor isn't allowed to tell.  There are some elective places that do it, but they aren't supposed to and I think the province is trying to prevent it.
    So basically people in BC aren't allowed to know the sex of their child? I mean first world problems and all but that's really outlandish.
    I am in Ontario and there are areas where the policy is not to tell the sex of the baby. Most places I have been to the official policy was the tech is not supposed to tell you anything. (only the doctor would tell, even the sex) That being said most would tell anyway. 

I know in some areas here they were worried about sex selection abortions. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"