Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Toddler Talk..19 months

Hey everyone!
Happy Thanksgiving! I was just wanting to know if anyone else on here has issues with their toddler talking? My LO refuses too say anything and with her age being what it is I was wondering if that was normal? Help please

Re: Toddler Talk..19 months

• I'm not sure what you mean by refuses to say anything. Does she have any words? Does she imitate words or sounds? Does she follow simple directions? Did you discuss with her pedi at her 18 mo well check?

I think most LOs are expected to have about 10 words at 18 mos. When my DD didn't have any words by 15 mos I talked to our pedi and contacted EI to get her evaluated. I would start by discussing this with your pedi.
  • I think it is perfectly fine.  My first son was WAY behind on talking and my second son is WAY advanced on talking.  They are all different and develop differently.  I did things the same with both and they turned out way different.  I remember ds 1 being 17 months vividly because that was when ds 2 was born and I remember certain things he said they were no where near as good as ds 2 talked at that age.  DS 2 actually talks in his sleep lol .  I wouldn't worry.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • She understands what im saying enough to follow simple directions, and she babbles  and points when she needs something but she doesnt say any words. I have spoken about this with her pedi, and was told that all kids develop differently which is fine...but I was still a little worried because of everything ive heard and read saying that by this age they should have so many words in their vocabulary by now.  Thank you for taking the time to read and answer my question, i appreciate it.
  • My son is 17 months and sounds like your daughter. He started using mama more, dada he babbles. He points, will copy some sounds (loves burping sounds) but that's it. We've read to him since he was a few months, he started pointing at the same things over and over wanting us to repeat. He understands things like when I say "let's take a bath" he grabs his tub. He runs away when I say diaper change and will run to the bathroom ahead of me when I say I need the bathroom. The doc wanted him to have 2 words aside from mom/dad at 16 months and wants to see where he's at at 18. I'm more nervous about what the doc will say than I am about him talking... I think he's getting there at his pace. Of course it doesn't help when I see younger toddlers babbling away. Just stay positive, keep talking to her about anything and see what your doc recommends,
  • My doctor said 6-10 words, not clearly understandable, at 18 month appt.  So for example he says shoes, moon, book , cup, etc.. they aren't perfectly correct/clear, but always consistent

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • my older guy had very few words at this age but understood a decent amount. he had a crazy explosion around 22 months. be patient and if your dr says not to worry, don't worry! all kids are different. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My DS turns 20 months tomorrow and does not really have any words.  All through his development he has excelled at motor skills and lagged far behind on communication.  He did not clap or point until months after the books said he "should".  He has been shaking his head "No" for months but did not nod his head "Yes" until yesterday, literally.  He seems very sharp and clever, and is much less far behind on receptive communication.  When I ask him to point to different animals in a book or grab a certain toy on the floor, he understand the basic command and is able to identify the correct object.  He has become a lot more vocal recently but still not talking.  No mama or dada.  He did get one word about 2 months ago.  Car.  He would point or play with cars and say "Ca!  Ca!"... then that regressed a bit and for the past few weeks he has only been saying "C-c-c-c!" the way that we, as parents, stress the C when teaching a word.  He did actually also start saying our parent's dog's name when visiting for Thanksgiving.

They say by 18 months your LO "should" have a 10-20 word vocab.  I agree that all kids go at their own pace, my DS and yours are probably just taking their time, and are fine. I have spoken with a speech pathologist I kept in touch with since the NICU (DS's first month) who thought 18 months would be a good time to make an Early Intervention appointment, and my pediatrician said 21 months.  We went ahead and had our first appointment yesterday.

If I were you, I would go ahead and make an appointment.  I do not know how it is in your state but assuming it is the same as mine, early intervention is FREE and they will come to your home for everything.  It takes a few weeks of appointments/evaluation/appointments to get fully into the system, so your LO would be 20 months by the time she would start therapy if deemed necessary. The way we figure - it is free, they come to your house, they play games with your LO and give you advice and exercises to help progress communication.  What is there to lose?  It should not be considered as much of a big decision as we made it and you may be making it.  It's just a little extra help to get things moving along.  

Also keep in mind, you really shouldn't worry that much anyway.  If there is no underlying problem, speech delay is no indication of how smart your kiddo will ultimately be, later in life.  Everything will be fine, no matter what your decision is.
  • Thank you everyone for all of your advice and personal stories! It has truly helped! These last couple weeks she started to become a little more vocal, not so much with saying words but more babbles. I still think I may give EI a try after the holidays just to get an evaluation and see what they think.
  • My 19 mo DD is exactly at the same stage as yours, vocal with babbling, understands everything, but no true words with meaning. She qualified for EI with over a 30 percent delay in expressive speech. Everything else, including receptive speech, is age appropriate. GL to you. It did take a while to get the required meetings set up with EI, so be aware of this if you go down that path.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• My 16 months boy won't say anything at all, he babbles but not specifics sound for something in particular. I am worry. For a couple of months I was thinking about autism but my doctor said to give him time and work with him and that he is gonna be evaluate by 18 month. He understand a lot of the things I tell him but I am still a little scare.
  • I have early walkers, late talkers.  Both my kids.  At 19 mos my DD regularly used four words ("hi", "uh oh", "hot" and "all done"); she'd said three others once or twice (e.g. "mama").  She signed about eight other words, e.g. "more".  Her word explosion was just after her 2nd birthday.  My DS (14 mos) has maybe said three words, once or twice each; same as DD at that time.  My mom said I was a late talker so I wasn't particularly concerned with DD and I'm not concerned at all with DS.  GL decided if it's within the norm for your child.

Unexplained IF/RPL

TTC#1 2003 BFNs, 2004-2009 imageimageimageimageimage 5 angels above

2010 IVF-PGS-FET#1, DD b. Aug-2011 image

TTC#2 2012 BFNs, 2013 FET#2, DS b. Nov-2013 image

TTC#3 2015 BFNs, FET#3 image (my 6th and last angel above)

Journey Complete.

• By the way, for the pp that mentioned early intervention is free, this is not the case, at least in the county/state where we live. The initial evaluation is indeed free. After you qualify for services, there is a family fee per month based on income. For us, it is $200/ month. Insurance can be used to offset some of that cost. We just started with EI this year so not sure how that will work, but it was what I was told by our coordinator. GL!

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"