March 2015 Moms
Options

Dentist

Has anyone been to the dentist while pregnant? Is anyone going in the third trimester? Just wondering if it was uncomfortable being on your back and if you were reclined or completely flat on your back. Thanks

Re: Dentist

• Options
    I went last month. They kept asking if I was comfortable and didn't recline the chair as far back as they normally would. All went well.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm going next Tuesday... Will find out then!
    Hannah

Nov'12- Started TTC
    Sept-Dec'13- HSG, 2 IUI's, DX PCOS
    Jan '14- IUI#2=BFP!!
    Mar '14- M/C @ 8w2d when I should've been 9 weeks. D & C 3/7/14
    May'14- Started Pregnitude
    June'14- BFP! (Naturally!!) Beta #1 (4w2d)=78, Beta #2 (4w4d)=219, Beta #3 (5w0d)=785

BabyFetus Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've gone twice and go again next week
  • Options
    I just went today and had a tooth repaired that was causing pain, I'm 36 weeks. They had me completely laid flat so the dentist could repair my tooth. It wasn't the most comfortable position but it wasn't horrible. Way worth it since I was in pain before. My OB gave me a letter to take to my dentist giving the ok to do the work and what is and isnt ok at this stage of pregnancy.
  • Options
    @lauraj555‌ I'm 34 weeks and just went to the dentist today. It went perfectly fine, no problems with being reclined. However, I prefer to be flat on my back, it's strangely more comfortable for me. Just be sure NO X-RAYS!!! Good luck.
  • Options
    I actually got a root canal around 20 weeks b-( my doc okayed X-rays as long as you wear the lead vest. She said it it's not near your tummy and you have vest on there is no need to worry....thank god cause my tooth was hurting pretty bad so they needed to see what was going on. Make sure no nitrous...and that they know you are prego(: I'm waiting to get cavities filled after pregnancy cause honestly...nitrous is awesome lmao.
  • Options
    I went at the start of my third trimester. They asked me if I preferred to not be laid back as far as normal so I was more in a sitting up position then laying down. Talk to the person doing it they are normally really good about listening because it is recommended that pregnant women see a dentist so they are probably used to it.
  • Options
    I tried to go just for a cleaning last week, and ended up being sick. I had to run to the bathroom to throw up. I haven't had any morning sickness this whole pregnancy, and it certainly wasn't normal for me. I'm thinking it might have just been from laying on my back like that (I also got light headed and heard that can happen from layin on your back for extended periods of time). Maybe it was just a fluke, but rescheduled for today, so hoping all goes well. I'm sure you'll do fine, and they'll probably do their best to make sure you're comfortable.
  • Options
    I went at 32 weeks. The only thing that bothered me was the fact I have "pregnancy gums" as the dentist called it which pretty much means they are extremely sensitive.
  • Options
    I went a few months ago, and am going again next Wednesday. Hopefully it will be okay! I think it will be harder to go once the baby is born.
  • Options
    I had root canal work at around 30 weeks with my first and was perfectly ok, I had been in agony for the week prior. This time round had a check up bout 12 weeks and due for another in about a week. I have a tooth that needs repair but was advised unless causing pain which it wasn't would leave till I've had baby. Was fine in chair also. I lucky though have a very good dentist and think that certainly helps. Good luck
  • Options
    I went last week, was a little uncomfortable but they didnt put the chair as far back as possible and kept making sure I was ok. A little discomfort is worth oral care in my opinion
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
  • Options
    Lurking from A15. I work at a dental office an have been getting regular cleanings every two months (supposed to be three months during pregnancy). Depending on what you're having done depends on how far back you need to be reclined. A cleaning you do not need to be reclined all the way - that is just a preference for the hygienist/doctor so it doesn't hurt their back as much. If you need dental work however you will need to be reclined more. You can always bring a pillow and prop it under your back so it helps soften the chair a bit. And most X-rays are fine as long as you're wearing the lead cover - just don't let them take what's called a pan (you stand up in a machine and it takes the X-ray as it spins around your head)!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"