June 2015 Moms

Are travel systems the best option?

I've heard that I should go with the travel system when my newborn is here. However, I've also heard that it'd be cheaper to get a stroller and car-seat separately. I'm a new mom and not really sure which option to go with, so i'd like to hear the opinions of other experienced mommies. I just want the best option for my little one. 

Re: Are travel systems the best option?

• If you are planning on having a second child in the near future, buy a stroller and car seat separately. There are lots of strollers that convert into a double when that time comes! Just my 2 cents...
  • With DS we got a snap and go and Chicco car seat and didn't regret it. When he was older we bought a maclaren stroller. I hate big bulky strollers.
    04/2008 Biochemical
    03/2009 DS
    09/2013 Ectopic - MTX
    1/2014 Biochemical
    07/2014 Ectopic
    09/2014 Final injectible/IUI cycle prior to saving for IVF. BFP!!! 
    14 DPO: 179
    17 DPO: 547
    21 DPO: 2,180.70
    10/9/14 We have a heartbeat!!!!!
    Due June 5th!

• Loading the player...
  • It is different for each couple. For us, the travel system was best. For others, maybe not so much. We did a lot of research first though. Best of luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby June Bug is due June 5, 2015
    [[Our first, our little surprise]]
  • Speaking of which, I test drove the Chicco Bravo system with the Keyfit seat. Does anyone have an opinion on it?
  • With my daughter I got a travel system for a baby shower gift. It was huge and bulky and barely fit in my trunk. This time I am still going with a combo, but it's the Chicco Lightway Plus and the key fit 30. The light way plus is in between an umbrella stroller and a regular one. It's much taller than an umbrella stroller (which I need. My hubby is 6'5) and much less bulky than a regular stroller.
  • Chicco carseats are also rated the highest for safety in the US. And buying them together, they cost about the same as a travel system.
  • I think it's hilarious that when we were in the market for our stroller my husband and I would eye every stroller we saw out at the mall/park... even cuter that my husband was getting into it and knowing the names of the strollers!

We ended up getting a Stokke Crusi with the Carry Cot (newborn to 6 months). It's not the easiest "on the go" option... as it's not able to be used as a car seat but we fell in love with it and intend on having more kids so we can get some good use of out it. 
    Married: 28 August 2014
    BFP #1: 11 October 2014
    EDD: 22 June 2015 -- updated DD: 20 June 2015

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary
  • FTM, and I just bought a travel system.  It was on sale, so the cost was less than buying a stroller and infant car seat separately.  I know people have argued that it's impractical to buy a single stroller if you're planning to have another child, but honestly, you can't really predict when you're going to have your second.  I felt more comfortable buying a modestly priced travel system, knowing that I could upgrade later to a double stroller or a fancier single stroller, than buying a $300+ stroller that I may never use.  

At this point, I'm really only planning to use the stroller to walk around the neighborhood, mall, and some day trips, so I think a regular stroller will be fine for that.
  • We bought a travel system for DS1. We've used it for 3 years and definitely got our use out of it! I'll probably still use it when I wear this baby so I don't have to push around a double. I think it's handy to have a couple different types of strollers because needs change from day to day.
  • I am not a travel system fan at all. This is baby #3 for me. I say get a great car seat (we got a Chicco) and get a snap in go stroller for the beginning. Then go test drive other strollers when they get about 4 months old. Travel systems are very bulky and hard to steer. I love my city mini stroller after about 4 months. I also have a jogging stroller and a double city mini too. I will tell you though when I was a FTM I had to have a travel system too. They are fun to pick out. It just wasn't the best for me after they were born. Hope this helps!
  • We bought a travel system with our first. We used the stroller a lot, but eventually it just got to be too big and clunky. This time we bought the car seat and stroller seperate because we are buying a sit n stand stroller. I would say for 1st time parents, it's not a bad idea to get a travel system.
  • I was told the same. Chicco key fit 30 with snap and go
  • Amazing website with great information and you should sign up for her mailing list too:

https://www.lucieslist.com/baby-registry-basics/best-infant-car-seats-strollers/#strollers-basic
      Blessed Mama to the sweetest boy in the world (11/9/13), one angel baby, and two fur babies: Mattie Dog and Stanley Cat.
  • Just bought and uppababy Cruz and Mesa separate. We went high end to get a lighter modular system. It seems like in my city I only ever see BOBs. A BOB HERE A BOB THERE! Here a BOB there a BOB... You get the point. So people seem to love them and not just for jogging I guess
    BabyFruit Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"