1st Trimester

Am I going to miscarry? Please Help!

I am 44 years old and recently just found out that I'm pregnant. I am worried that I am going to miscarry based upon tests and discussions with my OB-GYN. I went in last Wendesday and found out I was (5 weeks and 4 day) based on an Ultrasound. They saw the gestational sack and the beginning of a yolk sac. We did two blood tests. First test came back with a pregesterone level of 12.9, and HCG of 4500. We went back in and did another blood test (not 48 hours exactly, but more like 42 hours) and the HCG level was 5900. The nurse practioner said she would have likedto haveseenour HCG levels higher and gave us an impression that we were about to miscarry. I am just worried sick and was wondering if anyone else had results similar to this and ended up having a viable pregnancy. Thank you.

Answers

• xcitdmommaxcitdmomma member
    edited February 2015
    Here are levels from APA's website. I'm not sure why you were tested less than 48 hours later as the rates double 48-72 hours during early pregnancy. Those numbers look normal for 5-6 weeks, though "normal" is a wide range. Are you going in for a third beta? Was she ok with your progesterone? Honestly, that seems a bit low, but I'm not a doctor.

A low hcg level can be a sign of miscarriage, but I don't think you really have enough testing information to determine anything.

FXFY!

hCG levels in weeks from LMP (gestational age)* :
    • 3 weeks LMP: 5 – 50 mIU/ml
    • 4 weeks LMP: 5 – 426 mIU/ml
    • 5 weeks LMP: 18 – 7,340 mIU/ml
    • 6 weeks LMP: 1,080 – 56,500 mIU/ml
    • 7 – 8 weeks LMP: 7, 650 – 229,000 mIU/ml
    • 9 – 12 weeks LMP: 25,700 – 288,000 mIU/ml
    • 13 – 16 weeks LMP: 13,300 – 254,000 mIU/ml
    • 17 – 24 weeks LMP: 4,060 – 165,400 mIU/ml
    • 25 – 40 weeks LMP: 3,640 – 117,000 mIU/ml
    • Non-pregnant females: <5.0 mIU/ml
    • Postmenopausal females: <9.5 mIU/ml

• Your hcg is rising, so take it as a positive sign for today :) it's hard not to worry, but we have our fingers crossed for you. Just try to enjoy being pregnant for the moment, as hard as that is to do without worry.

• Loading the player...
  • PP, I totally forgot that part! YES IT'S GOOD THAT LEVELS ARE RISING! :)
  • Levels are rising, so for now I would just take it a day at a time. I'm sorry you are going through this time of uncertainty and worry. Thinking of you.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement, it helps. I was prescribed progesterone supplements even though I was told if it was greater than 10, that was good. I will continue to take them even though advised to stop by the nurse practioner. No third test was ordered, just an ultrasound next week. Thinking of maybe switching dr.s, I never even saw the dr, just her aids. Thanks
  • It's not uncommon to not see a dr the first visit. Every office I've been to I've seen a nurse practitioner for my first visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"