March 2015 Moms
Options

Gestational Diabetes?

Hello :)

Hope everybody is healthy and thriving throughout these last few weeks of pregnancy.

I went to see the midwife the other night as I wasn't feeling particularly well and she ran a few tests. As it turns out I had some sugar in my urine. I have to go into hospital in the morning for a glucose tolerance test to confirm whether or not this could be gestational diabetes.

Has anyone else been through this? Worrying about fasting for 12 hours beforehand as I generally get very faint and dizzy without eating but also just curious to know if anyone has experienced diabetes in pregnancy?

Thanks xx

Re: Gestational Diabetes?

• Options
    You should have been tested for GD at around 28 weeks, as that is when baby's pancreas starts functioning. There used to be an excellent support community for GD on M15, but we have left for a friendlier and more professional location. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. I've had my pee tested all through the pregnancy and everything has been normal up until now. I'm from the UK though and I'm not sure if a lot of people on here are based in the states? I guess the NHS do things differently! X
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's pretty common practice to do a glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks, or earlier if you've had gestational diabetes with a previous pregnancy. I was tested and diagnosed at 14 weeks due to having GD with my first pregnancy.

The sooner you get tested, the better. Undiagnosed and uncontrolled diabetes is a big deal and can have major effects on the baby
  • Options
    amismomamismom member
    edited February 2015
    I'm sorry to hear that you may have gestational diabetes. I don't have GD but there has been some threads on it. Do a search for those. They may offer a lot of information for you. They don't do standard GD testing in the UK for every pregnant woman?

_____________________________________________________________________________

EDD: March 12,2015

• Options
    They only seem to offer the GD test over here if they pick up an abnormal amount of sugar when they test for other things.

I've had my sugar and protein levels checked at every appointment but only this time has something been picked up.

I am being tested in the morning so will find out more then. Will check out that thread in the meantime, thank you :)
  • Options
    Yes I have gestational diabetes and honestly miss the old group of ladies who would post about it. They really helped me, also they would do a meal plan post which I really enjoyed since it's hard to find good meals to eat with GD. I'm currently on 5mg of medicine since diet change didnt lower my Sugar levels, kinda bummed about having to take Meds but I know it's for the best for baby..
  • Options
    jillbabe91jillbabe91 member
    edited February 2015
    They tested me around 28 weeks, everything came back normal. I heard you can develop GA later on though in pregnancy. I didn't feel dizzy, I felt very hungry during the visit though and I knew I would so I drank the drink an hour before my apt so they tested me right when I got there. My advice on what I had to do since I have low blood sugar, is eat at 11:30-11:45pm the night before something filling but not sugary. But I think my doc did it a diff way if they are having you fast 12 hours, they told me not to eat after midnight and my apt was at 8am the next day. I think possibly they are doing 12 with you is because they tested you once before right? But anyway, I hope you pass and feel better !
  • Options
    OP, it is because you're here in the UK that things are being done differently - when I first started lurking on these boards, I noticed that American ladies get the GD test as standard when we don't. There are quite a few differences in standards of care (in good and bad ways for both) so that's why people will find it surprising you haven't been checked yet. It's all normal here.
  • Options
    22roses said:

Yes I have gestational diabetes and honestly miss the old group of ladies who would post about it. They really helped me, also they would do a meal plan post which I really enjoyed since it's hard to find good meals to eat with GD. I'm currently on 5mg of medicine since diet change didnt lower my Sugar levels, kinda bummed about having to take Meds but I know it's for the best for baby..

We're all over at the other place. You are welcome to join us there.
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with GD about 2 weeks ago, right after 28 weeks. Overall it's a bit scary at first but not to bad. UK standards of care are different from us here in the US, so listen to your midwife & take things one step at a time. Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for all of your advice ladies! I have to wait until Monday for my results so am going to be cautious and lay off the sugar until then! Fingers crossed it won't be GD but even if it is, I am sure it can be managed- you all sound like you're dealing with it well xx
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"